Eric's HL M4A3/M10A1/M36/VC Firefly

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Eric's HL M4A3/M10A1/M36/VC Firefly

Post by Ecam »

First of all, hats off to the masters of detail on this forum! I am hoping to enjoy this hobby and want to add some details, but I do not pretend to be the master modeler like some of the members here are.

Started with the HL M4A3 for my first project.
Took the tracks apart to clean up flashing. Opened up the hole through the shoe a bit (not the link part). I looked at filling the plastic saving cavities on the inside of the track, but decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Wanted to fill the plug that comes with the kit, so I drilled out the screw mount. Epoxied some 3mm (think that is metric) cap screws in the bogie trimmed to just protrude in the hull enough for a washer and nut about 3/16 (that's more like it).

Tracks are a little less tight than when the tank arrived. Some paint added to the tracks and presto! Will eventually add some weathering after I complete the upper and turret.

P.S. Mike, why aren't you posting pictures. Have you learned to program the VCR yet, or are the kids still helping?
Last edited by Ecam on Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Re: Eric's HL M4A3

Post by sassgrunt »

You know Eric, I have had at least three people on the board try to help me learn to post pictures. I think they all grew tired of the head-banging that was required. And, I WAS going to offer you a set of my dished roadwheels for your build, but now it's just going to be another thing to dis-inherit you from.

And yes, with the kids all out of the house, the VCR still there in pristine/unused condition.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Worked on the exhaust diffuser.

Last edited by Ecam on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Dr. Eric,
Beautiful work on those tracks. The hollow back HL versions there look great from all angles except looking inside. Same with the road wheels. I was about to use rubber rim MATO road wheels on 'Maxene' when Mike 's late war dished road wheels showed up out of the blue. ;o) Maybe you can get yourself back into his good graces to get a set of those beauties. Before MATO came out with the tracks and sprockets specifically for the HL Sherman, I had considered using black rubber valve sealant to fill the hollows on the inside tread links. As far as talents go, I think that the exacting work done to make that diffuser functional puts your skills into a more accurate light.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

We brothers have been disowning each other for decades! He has offered the wheels, and he is working on my Panzer chassis. Today, I'll claim him.

Eric
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

You know Ecam...I had chance to speak with Mike the other day....told him that I'm really enjoying you being here...Painless and I have been trying to get him to post some pictures of his many outstanding builds....Maybe now that there is three of us here..he will finally give in and post some of them :D

Nice Job on the Sherman :clap: :clap: ...will be starting on a Firefly soon ;)

GOOD LUCK with the build :thumbup:

ALPHA
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Didn't go overboard with detailing, wanted this one to be a fast build and something that could be run without fear. This was also my first attempt of a larger scale.

And here is why. With some encouragement from my dear older brother, I've decided to attempt other versions of the Ford powered VVSS platform (I like Fords). I made a 18 gauge sheet metal pattern for the side plates for repeat-ability.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Still need to get the height correct. But that's enough for a Sunday afternoon.

Eric
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I really like the idea of fabricating a metal template to make repeat parts. It can be simply amazing to use the same measurements to try and make two hull sides, and find out when comparing them that they're still somehow not the same! But - with all this talk about our difference in age - I will attribute your creativity to having somehow rubbed off from me, over the passage of time.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Sass the Younger,
Very creditable work and just enough as you said! The tank really shines though and is perfectly run and fun worthy in even rough conditions. Great job on the template! Following along on the tank destroyer.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”