First tank. Tiger 1 redressed

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
capt midnight
Corporal

First tank. Tiger 1 redressed

Post by capt midnight »

Here are some shots of my first build...

This was a 27MHz when I got it, so the first thing was an upgrade to the 2.4GHz radio. Love the new radio. I added a small 12 volt fan to the controller to keep it cool. A nice quick mod prior to installing the new gear.

Also, looks like I've got some bad bearing seals on the road wheels!

Here's a few with a flash. Kind of makes the paint a bit more noticeable.

And some outside action shots.

Since these were taken, I've added an un ditching log. Planning on adding some spare tracks to the turret. Already added the mounts, just have to get some links. As I make some more progress, I'll throw some more pictures up.

So, there she is. Any thoughts, suggestions, or out right laughs?

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Re: First tank. Tiger 1 redressed

Post by doc larsson »

MORE MUD !

filters and chains,tow hook erm look at what these guys do. So far as you wanna take it ! Troops on board ?
it's where you wanna go , nice job so far buddy !

ps. get an office paper punch, a yoghurt pot with the lip and punch 4 holes.glue 2 each together and glue them to the trunions, (frankenstein bolts on the turret). for starters.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

As far as it goes you have made a good start,
How far do you want to go.?
You could fit "ABER" Engine Grilles and a proper pair of Headlights to replace the monstrosity's you are presently displaying and it is no fault of yours that you have the redundant Aerial stowage tube on the Left flank (as viewed from the rear of the Tank)
Heng Long do make a nice affordable Tank but they come with faults, although the excessive number of Aerial stowage tubes is also to be found on Torro and Taigen Tanks. :lolno:
The size of your pocketbook will decide how far to go.
Have a look at some of the builds on the HENG LONG Builds section of the Forum and you may come to the conclusion that some of us are suffering from an obsession in detailing, such as accurate decals on the obligatory Fire extinguisher and replacing the Radio Aerial with a "Shumo" or "Aber" alternative and the next thing you know you are buying "Voyager" or "Aber" Photo Etch and buying crew members and painting exquisitely detailed uniforms upon them and then comes the Metal Tools and metal Tow ropes and of course you will definitely need at least 20 Wing/Butterfly nuts,
I sometimes wonder if there is a limit to what you can do?
And that is just the outside, New gearboxes and "Clark" or "IBU2" control boards are a beginning for working on the interior.
and You might like to fit a "TARR 2" smoker and new upgraded speakers.
Sometime soon the funny farm beckons or the Bankruptcy court :haha: :haha:
Whatever you do, please never forget you are doing this for FUN, If it becomes like work I suggest you STOP :haha:
shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Its a nice Tiger mate. Sure, there are things that can/should be changed to make it more accurate, but like Mr Jarndice says, if it stops being fun, then stop doing it.
The great thing about the Tiger is all the after market bits available from all over the place that enables you to reach as far as your financial planning manager allows you :haha: :haha:

I suggest if you are going to run the thing a lot, change the gear sets to black steel before you get the squark-of-doom from the stripping plastic ones .
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I've got it finished up for now. I've gotten a few things done since I took these shots, so I'll have to get some more updates ones and get them posted. I've also been working on a couple of other projects, as well as home remodeling, so I haven't had much of a chance to post. Been keeping up with all the goodness going on though! I'll be posting some stuff in some of the other threads shortly. I did use some of the suggestions in some other projects.

Bill
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Bill it looks great. I think you have made a great start and like the others have said it's easy to keep going on and on :D I went from 1 to 3 very quickly.
Like your weathering :thumbup:
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Thanks. I know what you mean. I'm up to five now. Got my first big mod starting.

Bill
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Thanks. I know what you mean. I'm up to five now. Got my first big mod starting.

Bill
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by edpanzer »

Lovely tiger
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6