Super Pershing

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
wibblywobbly
Major

Super Pershing

Post by wibblywobbly »

A brief history:

A single Super Pershing was shipped to Europe and given additional armor to the gun mantlet and front hull by the maintenance unit before being assigned to one of the tank crews of the Third Armored Division. The front hull was given two 38 mm steel boiler plates, bringing the front up to 38+38+102 mm of armour. The plates were applied at a greater slope than the underlying original hull plate it was welded on top of. The turret had 88mm thick RHA from a Panther turret welded to the gun barrel covering the front. An account of the combat actions of this tank appeared in the war memoir Another River, Another Town, by John P. Irwin, who was the tank gunner. Zaloga described three actions in his book. On 4 April, the Super Pershing engaged and destroyed a German tank, or something resembling a tank, at a range of 1,500 yd (1,400 m). On 12 April, the Super Pershing claimed a German tank of unknown type. On 21 April, the Super Pershing was involved in a short-range tank duel with a German tank. The engagement was a brief encounter. The German tank missed the initial shot. The Super Pershing responded with a quick shot, but it had fired a high explosive round which had no effect on the German tank. The crew then apparently felt something slam into the turret mantlet, although it is unknown whether this was a shot from the German tank or it was from another anti-tank weapon of some sort. The Super Pershing then knocked it out with a shot to the belly as the German tank tried to climb over a pile of rubble. Irwin described this German tank as a Tiger II, but Zaloga was skeptical of this claim, as there was a very small number of Tiger II tanks in Western Europe in 1945.[49][50] After the war, the single Super Pershing in Europe was last photographed in a vehicle dump in Kassel, Germany, and was most likely scrapped

Since then the records relating to all King Tiger movements during WW2 have been unearthed and catalogued. No King Tigers were in the area, no photographs were taken of any kill, which they would have been if it had happened, and there is no record of a destroyed King Tiger either. Yes, the Super Pershing had a big gun, and it may have destroyed a PzIV, which was more likely due to the way the target is described as exploding (ammo rack under the turret), but the tale of it taking down a KT has been proven to have been false.

That said, the Super Pershing, especially the European version, has looks that you either love or hate. I just happen to like short tanks, I reckon that they look more purposeful, and the Super Pershing has that unique stumpy, cut down look, and looks like it was made in someone's garden shed.

Which is a whole world apart from what I currently have in front of me... :think:
DSCN1089.JPG
A brand new HL non smoke and sound Pershing that is about to get trimmed..... :wtf:

The only photographs that exist were in a tank scrapyard at Kassel, Germany in 1945, and there are very few of them.

Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Super Pershing

Post by wibblywobbly »

A couple of hours with a styrene cutter and a rotary tool....
Attachments
DSCN1092.JPG
DSCN1091.JPG
DSCN1090.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jagman62
Private

Post by jagman62 »

I will be watching this build with great interest your builds are always extremely good.just as an aside,can anyone tell me the dimensions in 1/16 scale of the front mantlet armour & the elephant ears.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated.

As to the mantlet and elephant ears, I am going to go with a best guess based on the proportional size, relative to the turret and existing mantlet. The flat front plate seems to be the same size as the mantlet, the elephant ears are about half height, where they they are welded onto the front plate, and just over half height at the wider end. Ordered some 3mm plasticard to make the frontal armour and mantlet, it seems to be the right thickness.

Just done a pair of brass rear mudguards...never done those using brass before, but they have come out ok.

Rob
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Great start Rob - always liked these ever since I got one on world of tanks. Bit slow but due to all the armour!

Will keep an eye on your progress!
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Not the neatest soldering job in the world, one 20 year old soldering iron packed in while I was doing it, and the other has a tip that has worn off square, ho-hum...
DSCN1093.JPG
DSCN1093.JPG (86.17 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
Might pull the turret apart today and see about making a barrel and fitting a servo recoil.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
EddyK
Sergeant

Post by EddyK »

Good job done on the soldering! My small advice, if You don't mind, try to make front fenders from brass, too. You made good work on rear ones, so it seems that there wouldn't be any problems with front, too.
Regards,
EddyK
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Advice always welcome. I was thinking about that, the HL plastic is way too thick. Should be fairly easy as its just straight sheets with no soldering. Just need to make sure they are strong enough to endure an RC battlefield, the tanks tend to get a rough time of it no matter how carefully they are driven, I always expect them to get bashed about a bit, so try to make them as strong as possible. :S
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
EddyK
Sergeant

Post by EddyK »

wibblywobbly wrote:Advice always welcome. I was thinking about that, the HL plastic is way too thick. Should be fairly easy as its just straight sheets with no soldering. Just need to make sure they are strong enough to endure an RC battlefield, the tanks tend to get a rough time of it no matter how carefully they are driven, I always expect them to get bashed about a bit, so try to make them as strong as possible. :S
I think, that it wouldn't be so easy to damage them...

wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I just hope that mine is anything like as good as yours. Excellent work.

If anyone can give me the Sherman hatch dimensions I would be grateful.

Outer diameter.
Inner diameter.
Height.

Hoping someone can assist. :P

Rob
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Heng Long Builds”