Something I've been doing the past days

atcttge
Sergeant

Something I've been doing the past days

Post by atcttge »

So I got me a 1/16 HL M1A2. I have intended to convert it to SEPv2 with additional belly armor where I plan to put weights inside. Now, please take note that I'm not going to be a rivet counter and aim for perfection. The aim is to make something that looks the part, and I don't really care if it is 100% accurate or 90% accurate. What matters for me is that a cursory look will say "Hey, that's an M1A2SEPv2 with belly armor!" Life is too short to be so exacting when it comes to this hobby - at least my opinion - and as long as the details make me happy, then so it'll be. This isn't really for any competition, just for personal satisfaction.

With that said, so far, this is what I've done:

I started the conversion with the most complex part - the CROWS 2. From pix found on the net, I apparently was copying a version of the CROWS 2 not exactly found on the SEPv2 as seen in the sensor complex below. Ah who cares hehehe -

With the sensors more-or-less done, it was time to make the mount. The initial version was too slim which would be rectified as the build went on -

The .50-cal cannot elevate because I want my life to be simple. But at least I wanted it to traverse. Thank goodness I had some LEGO 4x4 turntables in stock, plus a couple of LEGO cylinder bricks -

I expect to be done with the CROWS 2 within the week. The materials I used were left over (like, years old) styrene sheets, aluminium and brass tubing, plastic tubing from used Q-tips (my ears are itchy), all glued together using superglue (because I'm cheap and don't want to go to the hobby store for them liquid cement), all seams filled with talcum powder and superglue (apply glue on seam, add powder on glue, tap with finger gently, let cure or, if impatient, spit on it so it cures immediately, then slice and/or sand down). All using a dull No. 11 X-Acto blade because I'm too lazy to open the tool box to get fresh blades. Hey, as long as it can still cut....

After the CROWS 2, the next will be the TUSK stuff for the loader's position which would be fairly easy compared to the CROWS. The next hardest item I foresee will be the bustle rack extension as I don't have enough styrene rods, but I guess I can make do with aluminium wire of the appropriate gauge (oh yeah, HL gave me 2x racks for the right side sponsons, so I had to modify one with aluminium wire for the left side sponson box).
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Something I've been doing the past days

Post by mcevoyi »

Very nice indeed
it's on my list to build ....I will ' copy ' the one from the dragon m1a2 sep v2
Nice job
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
That is splendid work! If you are going to this length to produce specific parts for the Abrams then you need a better M2 to fit into that frame. Tamiya has the best plastic .50 kit out there and they can be bought from places like Axel's Modelbau or JC RC. Following along.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by edpanzer »

:thumbup: Looks great
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
atcttge
Sergeant

Post by atcttge »

Ammo box:

The CROWS 2 is practically done. All it needs is the ammo chute, brass basket, and some other stuff:

edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by edpanzer »

Ermm looks great but you have a pest control problem.,
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
atcttge
Sergeant

Post by atcttge »

Anyone know where I can get wire mesh for the HL M1's bustle rack?

Some pix:

trackpin
Private

Post by trackpin »

That looks pretty awesome,very nice work.I agree with you about looking the part,build 'em the way you want,as long as you're happy with the results.Regards,Trackpin.
atcttge
Sergeant

Post by atcttge »

Wire mesh for windows. Is there really a hole on what I reckon is the antenna for what I think is the DUKE countermeasures system thingy?

Vapor compression system thingy I think.

BFT.

Completed vapor comp thingy.

Starting to look like an M1A2SEPv2.
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Very Nice :clap: I'm impressed and hats off to your scratch building skills :thumbup: Nice work
regards Denzil
opp's you said get off the road

Return to “Modern Builds”