ABE'S EARLY TIGER 1 BUILD

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-vamping you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.

Postby jarndice » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:24 pm

Abe I half smiled and shuddered at the same time when I saw your Feifal air cleaners,
I had nothing but trouble building my early pattern examples,
When finally I finished glueing the chains to the drain caps and with those darn swivelling intake pipes actually working at last and all that was left to do was screw them to the rear panel, I walked into the front room gave my lady a loving kiss and exclaimed DONE IT!!!
ok dear she replied, WOMEN!!! :/
I think I know what you went through and it has to be one of the single most challenging parts of the build, WELL DONE :thumbup: :thumbup: shaun
jarndice
Major

Postby Abe Froman » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:09 pm

Hi guys, sorry for no postings...Laptop died and was Luckily under warranty so now fixed free of charge...RESULT

More posts soon

Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Postby Dietrich » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:09 pm

Hi Abe,
Very impressive work....
Just to ask is there any chance of some photos of your work that you list here below ??.....You could start a new thread to show this work (I guess in Off Topic) as the Storm Trooper is superb ...
(Although are UFO and Captain Scarlet "honourary military" for the Larger Scale Military section... :haha: )

"Finishing off electrics on real gun parts Pulse Rifle, Moebius 1/72 ( Big One ) Flying Sub, 29" Millennium Falcon, 1/72 Falcon diorama ( Bloody huge ) and studio scale UFO Shado mobile ( about 2 foot long )
Soon to be starting 22 inch Captain Scarlet SPV when my mate has finished the fiberglass bodies"
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Postby Abe Froman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:26 pm

Dietrich, thanks dude for your kind words. I will see if there is anywhere obvious on the site to put them, or I could send you some links to other sites where I have build threads...let me know. You might enjoy mooching some other interest sites...the RPF site especially has some incredible talented builders too.

In the meantime:

I imagine the two plates near the front of the turret wall, rectangular top and bottom plates, should actually be removed and replaced as weld seams, but was there an actual plate here? Or is it just a weld around a drop in shape on the turret roof to form a solid joint?

Also, does anyone know the dimensions of the skirt blocks, the square blocks welded to the hull so the skirt can be bolted to them?

Good to be back dudes.

Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Postby DavidByrden » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Abe Froman wrote:I imagine the two plates near the front of the turret wall, rectangular top and bottom plates, should actually be removed and replaced as weld seams, but was there an actual plate here? Or is it just a weld around a drop in shape on the turret roof to form a solid joint?

This is the construction of the Tiger's turret:

The crossbars were shimmed and welded into place. They could protrude a little from the side wall, but if the tank was manufactured carefully, they would be flush with the surface of the wall.

Abe Froman wrote:Also, does anyone know the dimensions of the skirt blocks, the square blocks welded to the hull so the skirt can be bolted to them?

Why, yes.

DavidByrden
Corporal

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:52 pm

David, as always to the rescue. Thank you Sir :thumbup: :clap:

Will shave the turret parts off and get adding the weld.

Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Postby Abe Froman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:05 pm

HE'S BACK

Its been over two years since I last posted!!!

Apologies all, have been starting other builds in the meantime ( notice I said started! I am bloody Useless...too many passions)

Got the Tiger MOJO back so will be hitting the sub zero shed to get out the big box of Tiger bits. Will be posting soon. Take Care all.

And to everybody out there in the Ether

Merry Christmas and a Happy Modelling New Year.

Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Postby HERMAN BIX » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:23 am

Great to see you back mate.
You will notice photobucket has stolen images.
Please repost if you can
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:20 am

Hi there welcome back hope to see your work so post some pictures when you can.

Carl
c.rainford73
Major

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:37 am

Howdy Guys,

Can we upload pics from a laptop location rather than a web located site?
Have heard Photosuckit are charging to let you use your own pictures!! Highway Robbery..stand and deliver or else!

Good to be back in the fold. Fellow modelles are the best. I get so depressed with facebook, about the state of the human race. But 5 minutes on a modelling foum restores my faith. Such positive, helpful, informative people. And funny and sarcastic as well. My kind of folks.

Off to investigate uploading pics. Laters x

Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Postby silversurfer1947 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:30 am

You can upload photos direct from your laptop to the forum. That's what I do. The only proviso is that the photos have to be less than 2Mb, I think. If you use the "Post Reply" or Full Editor option, there is a facility "Upload Attachment", which you find if you scroll down a bit. Just select the photo from your computer, click add the file. then to add to your post, click place in line. Make sure you have your cursor in the right place in the text, or a frequently happens to me, your photo will appear in mid sentence.

Hope that helps.
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Test Upload
Attachments
20-R-350 Rosso Dino_2.jpg
20-R-350 Rosso Dino_2.jpg (51 KiB) Viewed 3655 times

Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Cheers Richard...onwards. Pobably be weekend before I can get all the bits out and get back into the mindset of what I was changing on the tank and re-ead the reference. Thats the poblem with stopping a build, you tend to forget where you are and whats next to do.

Lead up to Chistmas is pobably not the best time to get stuck back in but the time upto New Years will be useful.

Thanks fo the help.

Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Postby PainlessWolf » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:31 pm

Good morning, Abe,
Here is a picture to hopefully get you into the Holiday Tiger Tank mood to build.
regards,
Painless
(klick to expand the pic)
Attachments
Lights on while the bow MG doles out some lead.jpg
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:31 pm

Nice Tiger Painless.

A thought for y'all to ponder.

I have ordered the Aber etch kit for the Air cleaner pipes. I intend to make the tubes, then create molds and cast in semi flxible resin or polyurethane. Then glue in place with a twist on the pipe. Reckon it will work?

BTW I have never cast anything before. Would I make the mold would I have them standing vertically and put a piece of tape over the end of each tube?

Any assistance ot advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you all had a great Christmas. Have a great New Years.

Abe

Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Postby jarndice » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi Abe, Many people when coming upon the words "Photo-Etch" move rapidly in the opposite direction,
The "ABER" Air Cleaner Pipes are in my opinion the easiest PE I have worked to date,
I don't quite understand why you are thinking of using epoxy/Resin mould's,
The method I used was to get the "ABER" PE, The Black Plastic Original Air Cleaner Tubes and a Pencil or anything that will provide a solid centre to the Plastic Pipes.
With the Pencil in the Tube I wrapped the PE tightly around the Tube,
As you do that the Multi- sided PE Air Cleaner tube will take shape,
Before closing the final section you can either brush Solder paint along the inside of the seam and using a butane torch solder along the seam OR smear superglue along the inside of the seam and close the final section,
Leave the Glue to cure and the job is done,
I do not use the PE End Fittings as they complicate a simple job and add nothing to the Air Cleaner Tubes.
Don't forget to remove the Pencil from the core of the pipe.
Shaun.
jarndice
Major

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:03 pm

Shaun, thanks but I know if I do not put the twist into the pipes, it will bug me forever....will use the pencil idea though..cheers.

Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Postby Abe Froman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:12 pm

I see a few nights of Aber etch brackets and clasps ahead of me....I am ready for the inevitable pinging!

Anyone know the diamater of the spare antenna tube? Are there pics of the end caps?

Happy New Years to you all x

D

Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Postby jarndice » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:10 pm

Abe Hi, I use a 13mm length of 3mm hollow brass tube,
I make the two support cups out of 2mm Plasti-card off- cuts that I shape with a modelling file and an emery board then I pin Vise two holes in the appropriate positions for the support cups so that the Spare aerial holder is proud of the Tank body by 4/5mm,
One end of the tube I cap with solder and file flat the other end I used the end of an empty ball point pen refill.
If you look around the workshop and the home you will soon see what you need.
It is a very easy and CHEAP job and not only is it immensely satisfying it is a working part of your Tank instead of being a bit of solid plastic rod.
Shaun.
jarndice
Major

Postby Abe Froman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Can somebody please size the plate of the watertight for me as I sanded mine off LOL.

Many Thanks in anticipation.

Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

PreviousNext

Return to Heng Long Builds