Panzer IV Ausf F1 to H Build

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Re: Panzer IV Ausf F1 to H Build

Post by KTRob »

Thanks guys, I plan to use some magnets to hold the top on, might have to add a brace if needed.

Haven't been able to do much lately due to lack of time, but am off work at the moment so decided to do a bit more to the upper, then prime it.

Still need to sort out fender springs, front spare track holder, and an aerial mount.

Quite pleased with how the treadplate looks now its primed:

Just need to finish off upper hull bits then on to the turret, I hope to put in servo recoil/elevation so will be doing away with the oversize turret box :thumbup:
You can never have too many tanks...... :D
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by edpanzer »

Looking good rob tread plate looks great like you said
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

I like it! :thumbup:

I used magnets on mine as well. The front required a magnet on the upper and lower hull to get enough pull to mate the halves. I used nails (nail heads really) for the mid and rear portions on the upper hull with magnets in the lower hull.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Wow !!
The Schurzen mounts are perfect, what a different H/L its become.
Credit where its due Mr Rob, the build on this "German Sherman" (workhorse of the tank units) is brilliant.
Any developments recently ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

edpanzer wrote:Looking good rob tread plate looks great like you said
Thanks Ed, I was quite surprised at how good it looked.
philipat wrote:I like it! :thumbup:

I used magnets on mine as well. The front required a magnet on the upper and lower hull to get enough pull to mate the halves. I used nails (nail heads really) for the mid and rear portions on the upper hull with magnets in the lower hull.
Thanks philipat, I still have some work to do on the upper and lower, which will include adding magnets. I realised after putting the schurzen hangers on I would want to get at the battery from the top so will chop the top out of the battery box.
HERMAN BIX wrote:Wow !!
The Schurzen mounts are perfect, what a different H/L its become.
Credit where its due Mr Rob, the build on this "German Sherman" (workhorse of the tank units) is brilliant.
Any developments recently ?
Thanks Herman, I have been doing bits and pieces on the build, standby for pics :thumbup:
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

I added the front track holders, modelled on philipats excellent example, also added the spare wheel box on the fender and the last tool clamps etc.

Followed up by a coat of the base colour:

A side effect of the painting was the inside of the hatches being primer colour, I believe the later panzers were left primer colour inside rather than ivory. I quite like the effect:

I need to add the antenna mount in the rear left corner, and also sort out the bow machine gun.

I started work on the turret, I am going servo recoil, and decided to use a broken taigen/asiatam recoil as a frame for this and keep the elevation (more pics to follow).

First job was to chop off the rear box and rebuild the back of the turret:

After a lot of filling and sanding, a quick check to see how the asiatam Rommel box fits:

I have rigged up a recoil servo for testing, will upload some more pics later :thumbup:
edpanzer

Post by edpanzer »

Looking great rob
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long sherman
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

That looks awesome! I'm glad the design for the track holders worked out.

Are those tool holders PE? They look great.

If you're putting in a working bow machine gun complete with LED, I used waistband elastic. I installed the Tank Modellbau MG and it has the wires out the back. So, it doesn't work with HL's non-functioning setup. So, I glued the ball mount to the gun and took a 2-4" length of elastic and glued it across the plastic hull to hold the gun in place. It works because the elastic is the waistband elastic used in children's clothing. So, it has button holes already cut and stitched into it for adjusting a kid's waistband. The wiring goes through the hole and the rest of the elastic sits against the flat of the ball mount to hold it in place.
edpanzer

Post by edpanzer »

Any more updates Rob???
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long sherman
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

edpanzer wrote:Looking great rob
Thanks Ed
philipat wrote:That looks awesome! I'm glad the design for the track holders worked out.

Are those tool holders PE? They look great.

If you're putting in a working bow machine gun complete with LED, I used waistband elastic. I installed the Tank Modellbau MG and it has the wires out the back. So, it doesn't work with HL's non-functioning setup. So, I glued the ball mount to the gun and took a 2-4" length of elastic and glued it across the plastic hull to hold the gun in place. It works because the elastic is the waistband elastic used in children's clothing. So, it has button holes already cut and stitched into it for adjusting a kid's waistband. The wiring goes through the hole and the rest of the elastic sits against the flat of the ball mount to hold it in place.
Thanks Philipat, the tool holders are home made apart from the one by the headlamp, which from a pair of Mato Tiger C Hook holders.

Thanks for the tip re the MG, will have to visit the local craft shop for some elastic :thumbup:
edpanzer wrote:Any more updates Rob???
Hi Ed, yes got some more done:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”