Panzer IV Ausf F1 to H Build

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
philipat
Sergeant

Re: Panzer IV Ausf F1 to H Build

Post by philipat »

So, how many pots did you need to cover the entire hull? Thinking about trying an airbrush approach.
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

Hi Philipat, I used 3 cans of TS3 on the P4, I am currently working on a Leopard 2A6 and did the whole lower hull and wheels on 2.5 pots of tamiya acrylic through the airbrush. Each pot is 10ml, the cans are 100ml.

You have less control with a can and they do lay the paint on quite thick. I have a tamiya battery powered airbrush kit and its very controllable and preserves surface details better than the cans.

The cans cost about £7 in a local shop, the pots are £1.65. I think I would have used 2 cans to do the leopard hull and wheels so would have cost me about £14. As it is it cost £4ish.

I thin my paint with 99.9% alcohol off ebay, about £10 for 5ltrs.

I think I will use the airbrush more in the future, better result and cheaper too :thumbup:
You can never have too many tanks...... :D
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

Cool...thanks. I used a can on my PzIII. Touch-ups with the pot had a slightly different hue. So, I'm thinking I'll use the pots and airbrush for the PzIV. Sounds like I'll get better and more efficient coverage as well as consistency in the hue.
panzer man
Lance Corporal

Post by panzer man »

KTRob wrote:Thanks Panzer Man, yes it was sprayed on direct from a Tamiya Can.

I just started using an airbrush to spray complete hulls, which seems to be a more economical way of doing it (the cans are quite pricey).
I have used Tamiya spray paints before & although pricey, they are a quality product. I always warm the can first using tap water & spray multiple light coats. Patience is the key. I think the basecoat color turned out well & looks very close to various pics of restored German armor & vehicles I have seen on the net. I think I'm going with the Tamiya spray for the basecoat & a airbrush for the camo. In 1/35 scale, Tamiya dark yellow would require lightening with the color white for scale effect but it looks right here on a larger scale model. Where did you get the retaining chains on your Panzer IVl? I need some like chains for my Tiger I.
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

Hi Panzerman, the chains were made out of chain from one of those craft shops that sell stuff to make jewelry. I used thin wire looped through the end and glued into holes drilled into the hull so it wont fall off.

As you say the tamiya paints are very good quality. I have started restoring a leopard 2a6 and this is the first build where I have used an airbrush to do all the spraying.

Hope this helps
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by edpanzer »

Looks the mutts nuts in the flesh nice job mate hope my p4 looks as good see you sunday
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

Thanks Ed, see you Sunday
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

PainlessWolf wrote:Herman,
*Orders you up a new pair of Cheaters* Look at the photo, you don't see the white band running across the tops of all of those and down the side of the outermost one? The cans in the front.
You need a good night's sleep, Sir and a rest for the eyes from the Octo patterning.
warm regards,
Painless
That's not a white stripe old son , it's a piece of timber threaded through the handles and sticking out the end.
Also , brilliant P4 blog with great pictures, very well done.
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

KTRob wrote:
I'm about ready to call this one finished :thumbup: :Image
That is a great looking tank. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro