DAK Pz IV Ausf G Build

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
philipat
Sergeant

DAK Pz IV Ausf G Build

Post by philipat »

I've been posting this work over on RCU. But, I thought I'd add it here. The details of each step are here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tank ... build.html. I try to write it in a way that a newcomer like me could use it as a tutorial.

So, I’ve been eyeballing PzIV ideas for awhile now, but I needed to finish my PzIII first. Now that it’s done, it’s time to start my PzIV. I’ve decided to transform a HL PzIV F2 into an Ausf G that fought with the DAK. I’m going to model it to loosely reflect the “spade 7" tank from PzRgt 8, 15th PzDiv. What I haven’t figured yet is what the number 7 reflects. It seems that the spade is a company marking from 1/PzRgt 8. The battalion commander’s PzIIIN had all four suits on it. (http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewt ... &start=525) There were only 4 zugs in a panzer company and at the time, there were 3 light zugs and 1 medium zug with PzIVs in it. Each zug had 5 tanks; so, I'm guessing the 7 reflects the tank number in the company. Open to any suggestions or references to answer that.

And...is the 7 red or black? Different artist’s renditions are out there.

If anyone has more pictures of the "spade 7" tank, particularly showing the other side, I'd love to see them. Color would be cool, too. The only ones I've found are of the destroyed tank. So, I may have to take some license in making the functioning tank.
Attachments
Panzer-IV-AusfG-PzReg8-15PzDiv-Tunisia-1943_3(small).jpg
Panzer-IV-AusfG-PzReg8-15PzDiv-Tunisia-1943_3(small).jpg (41.57 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
panzer_IV_G_tunisia43_HD.jpg
5927856237_6b917dfd2e_o.jpg
5927856237_6b917dfd2e_o.jpg (74.24 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
5917823227_51a50d56ab_o.jpg
5917823227_51a50d56ab_o.jpg (84.83 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
StottenTank.jpg
philipat
Sergeant

Re: DAK Pz IV Ausf G Build

Post by philipat »

Basic start...two mods already done. I turned the commander’s cupola around since it was on backwards. At least, the current generation has the hatch properly aligned down the center. And, I installed the correct muzzle brake, which is a Panther G metal brake from Mato. The end of the gun tube is threaded (for real...HL threaded it). The brake wasn’t, but the metal is soft enough to use the gun tube to cut threads into the brake.

And, many of the upgrade parts are here. I think that I’ll start at the top and work down. Turret, upper hull and then lower hull.

Airsoft gun works, too. :) Might have to upgrade it with Taigen’s, though.
Attachments
IMG_0060-1.jpg
IMG_0056-1.jpg
IMG_0047.jpg
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

I started with the turret, focusing on the cutting, sanding, drilling, etc to correct things and get it ready for some add-on parts.

First off, the mantlet had to be corrected. It’s both too wide and has the appearance of spaced armor. Well, after further inspection I discovered that the look of spaced armor can only be corrected if I eliminate the airsoft gun. But, I wanted to keep that. So, I’ll just have to live with that. But, I can correct the width. I noticed that the mantlet is in two pieces. The outer piece provides the curved shield and it glues to the inner piece. So, I cut the inner piece, which holds the gun and attaches the assembly to the airsoft gun, down to its narrowest option to still attach to the airsoft gun. And, I puttied the sides to give it a smoother appearance. That way it doesn’t look like a hack job. The outer piece was narrowed by eyeballing photos and trying to get it there. I think it’s close. I also made sure the outer width was a little more than the inner piece to reduce some of the “spaced armor” look.

The coaxial machine gun also had to go. It was in the wrong spot and the plastic thingy looks awful. So, I cut that off and drilled a hold for a metal coax that will eventually use a small fiber optic line and an LED to provide a flashing coax. It’s also more accurately positioned. I eyeballed this one, too; but, it seems pretty accurate.

- Ground off three of the vision ports that didn’t make the cut from the F2. The two side ports and the right, front port all came off. Then, I filled and sanded those flat. I also added the hole for the gunner’s sight on the left side of the gun.

- Fixed the commander’s cupola. HL has it installed backwards. (Note: see the attached photo with placement of the internal locking mechanism. Photo is from pg 21 of Squadron Signal's Panzer IV, #6081.)

- Corrected the turret side hatches and removed some of the casting artifacts.
Attachments
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0001-2.jpg
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

The turret work continues...

Some of the re-assembly began. And some additional details needed to be completed. Some of the things completed:

- Added the coax MG from http://www.tank-modellbau.de. Any issues if the fiber optic line is painted in the gap between the mantlet and the turret hull?

- Added a small ring (lifting ring?) to the mantlet.
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg
- Lowered the turret bin's profile, but retained the ability to use the stock elevation assembly.
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg (91.11 KiB) Viewed 9413 times
- Added the insulating wood strips to the turret bin. Now, I need to find some rivets.

- Put the hatches - signal port (BB loading) and turret side hatches - back on.

- Reinstalled the turret hatch stops using Mato’s metal arms. The original plastic ones didn’t survive shipping and/or initial removal.
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg
- Added the commander’s aiming guide that goes right in front of the commander’s cupolar.
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg (90.92 KiB) Viewed 9413 times
Turret is just about finished and then I’ll reassemble it completely.
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

The turret gets finished...details added and reassembly completed.

- The rivets in the wood insulators on the turret bin were added. I used 7-mm brass rivets. Looking back at it and comparing them with pictures of the subject tank and other Gs, if I were to do it again, I would have used the 5-mm rivets that I have. They would have disappeared into the wood more like the real ones did. They’re glued in and are better than not having rivets.
IMG_0010 (2).jpg
- The attaching brackets for the turret bin were added using .5-mm sheet styrene and .5-mm hex bolts.
IMG_0008 (2).jpg
IMG_0009 (2).jpg
- Installed the two turret lifting hooks.

- The lifting ring on the mantlet had to be corrected. I pulled out the 1-mm hex head bolts and replaced them with the .5-mm bolts. The ring I re-glued using JB Weld. Seems much more secure, but I still think it might not survive its first encounter with a bush.
IMG_0005 (2).jpg
- Reworked the pointed cap nuts on the mantlet with 2-mm conical rivets with a 00-90 brass nut to recreate the effect. The rivet shaft fit right through the hole of the nut. Glued it all in place. Not an exact replica, but better than what was there.
IMG_0006 (2).jpg
- Used rubber cement and masking tape to secure the coax gun’s LED to the airsoft gun. I used rubber cement to secure the fiber optic to both ends.
IMG_0001 (2).jpg
- The turret signal port (aka, hatch for loading airsoft BBs) has a tendency to flop open. So, I used a little JB Weld to secure a small piece of steel (soup can lid) and a 2x2-mm cylindrical magnet to the hatch and the opening in the turret. That will hold it closed but still allow me to load it with BBs.

- Reassembly...looks a bit like an Ausf G’s turret now.
IMG_0004.jpg
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

Started work on the upper hull. I removed everything that could be unglued and did some sanding, grinding and drilling.

Other work done:
- Thinned the plastic fenders to look more like metal and to allow the sprockets to be raised a little.
- Filled and re-drilled the driver’s periscope holes. The originals seem a little too large.
- Glued the lower deck at an angle. It will need a couple of days to cure completely.
- Scribed the additional plate lines on the rear deck that HL omitted. That required carefully shaving off a latch from one of the hatches being removed and re-gluing it on the center narrow plate.

I'm checking the size of the brake cooling cylinder. HL’s is wrong from the look of it, but I can’t find any actual dimensions to scale it properly. Anyone have dimensions for the 1:1 part?
Brake Cylinder Question.jpg
Attachments
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg
IMG_0015-1.jpg
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Great eye for details. So far looking good.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
One of the more detailed builds of an often overlooked panzer. Jarndice will be pleased beyond words. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Bogeyman
Corporal

Post by Bogeyman »

Hi phillpat,

Your killing this one, I love Panzer 1V, I have recently purchased a Taigen Panzer 1V, very nice, but not to the detail standard this one is going to end up as.

Can't wait to see this one done.

John
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

me like want one!

Return to “Heng Long Builds”