Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"

Post by ALPHA »

OK.......How come you didn't change the LED to a clear one?.... and I thought you went on vacation dgsselkirk :O ........ :haha:

ALPHA
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

It is a tinny, tiny, little red plastic LED type thing about 3mm square so I have no idea where to begin looking for a clear one if they even make them! :crazy: Would have been perfect if it was clear. I have 2 more of them so now that I knopw how they light up maybe I can ask around if anyone knows of a clear one that small.

Leaving tomorrow back Tues. :D I actually did finish up the grills last night. They got faster as I went along...Next project is the front hatches to make them functional...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

dgsselkirk wrote:It is a tinny, tiny, little red plastic LED type thing about 3mm square so I have no idea where to begin looking for a clear one if they even make them! :crazy: Would have been perfect if it was clear. I have 2 more of them so now that I knopw how they light up maybe I can ask around if anyone knows of a clear one that small.

Leaving tomorrow back Tues. :D I actually did finish up the grills last night. They got faster as I went along...Next project is the front hatches to make them functional...
I've seen 3mm round on Ebay...can't you sand those down...or how about fiber optics...you can purchase a toy wand for about two dollars US....has over a hundred strands on them :haha:

ALPHA
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

jeff1101 wrote:
I remember it was either on this forum or one of the others there was a big argument about how many bolts were on the antenna housing on the Panther. Some said 3, some said 4.
That was on my build thread, dgsselkirk. Me and Hotte were arguing about the number of bolts used to fasten the armoured antenna base. Although it is still my contention that 4 bolt antenna bases simply does not exist. :angel:
Well Jeff, we should never say never. so there I am going through one of my reference books Panther in Detail Culver Feist and low and behold page 103 2 black and white photos of a 4 bolt antenna base on a late "G" .....was it original? added in the field? added much later? who knows. The pics look like it is original equipment...
jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

Hi dgsselkirk, would you be able to scan the page and post the pic here? (If its not too much of a bother :thumbup: ). I would be very interested in seeing that pic just to satisfy my curiosity.
hotte8487
Sergeant

Post by hotte8487 »

quote]
I've seen 3mm round on Ebay...can't you sand those down...or how about fiber optics...you can purchase a toy wand for about two dollars US....has over a hundred strands on them :haha:

ALPHA[/quote]

The smallest LED that I know is the SMD LED; I've used them often in my front- and back lights. Though has this LED form also a disadvantage, you can't use they with fat fingers. :haha:
Greeting Hotte

IG-Panzerjäger Berlin

HL Tiger I late (ElMod)
Torro Kingtiger (ElMod)
Tamiya Tiger I early (ElMod)
Tamiya Panther G (ElMod)

The thinking is allowed to all people, but many are spared. (Curt Goetz 1888-1960)
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

Hi Guys,

Alpha, I really don't want to mess with the one I did for this tank so I will leave it and put the cover on the top and it will look as it should. On the next tank I will see about a clear bulb and/or fiber optics just for you! :D LOL!

Hi Jeff, I will take a pic of the page for you no problem look for it tonight my time (EST)

Hi Hotte, Can you send me pic or link to those bulbs? I have skinny fingers no problem. They can be a little shaky but they are small enough to do these things! :haha:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

HAVE A FUN RELAXING HOLIDAY Dggselkirk! :wave:

ALPHA
hotte8487
Sergeant

Post by hotte8487 »

dgsselkirk wrote:
Hi Hotte, Can you send me pic or link to those bulbs? I have skinny fingers no problem. They can be a little shaky but they are small enough to do these things! :haha:
Hi Dean,

as I said, I've often used them in my tanks.
I've ordered these SMD's at "Conrad Electronic", a dealer for electronic articles in Germany. But I think you'll find also a dealer in Canada or in the USA. Here once a link to the german dealer: http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/1566 ... 5?ref=list
Beneficial is to order the SMD LED in a wired version; they are so small that solder on a wire is very difficult.

Here's a picture from my Tiger 1 headlight...
pic87.JPG
and here my selfmade rearlight, also lighted per SMD...
pic138.JPG
the tube has a diameter of 3 mm, the endcaps a diameter of 4 mm...
pic139.JPG
So on, try your luck!
Greeting Hotte

IG-Panzerjäger Berlin

HL Tiger I late (ElMod)
Torro Kingtiger (ElMod)
Tamiya Tiger I early (ElMod)
Tamiya Panther G (ElMod)

The thinking is allowed to all people, but many are spared. (Curt Goetz 1888-1960)
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

hotte8487 wrote:
dgsselkirk wrote:
Hi Dean,

as I said, I've often used them in my tanks.
I've ordered these SMD's at "Conrad Electronic", a dealer for electronic articles in Germany. But I think you'll find also a dealer in Canada or in the USA. Here once a link to the german dealer: http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/1566 ... 5?ref=list
Beneficial is to order the SMD LED in a wired version; they are so small that solder on a wire is very difficult.

Here's a picture from my Tiger 1 headlight...
pic87.JPG
and here my selfmade rearlight, also lighted per SMD...
pic138.JPG
the tube has a diameter of 3 mm, the endcaps a diameter of 4 mm...
pic139.JPG
So on, try your luck!
You made your own convoy light Hotte

I did too :haha:

made the housing so it will accept the stock HL LED :D

ALPHA

Return to “Heng Long Builds”