Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
philipat
Sergeant

Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"

Post by philipat »

Cool! Thanks!
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

That triggered my memory, yes, what I did was cut the 2 posts out of the HL mantlet and remounted them inside the new one and then filled it with 2 part epoxy to hold in place. So back to the present. I had not looked at my wheels in a couple of years and forgot I did get rid of that annoying ridge on the rims. They look far more accurate without them.
Panther A 322.JPG
Panther A 322.JPG (89.98 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
WE NOW HAVE PRIMER!!! On little secret for new guys using Tamiya primer. The fine white is about the best overall primer I have used in 45 years of modeling. BUT, do NOT be in a hurry to add paint after using it. The lacquer needs at least a couple of days to set up. I leave mine for a full week if it is humid like it is now! you will find you use less paint to cover and it sticks better...
Next up base dark yellow or Dunkelgelb
Panther A 323.JPG
Panther A 323.JPG (85.5 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Great to see this project back up and running. Another mighty 'A' nearly finished.
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

An epic build Dean, It'll be great to see it all coloured-in! What did you have planned in terms of camouflage and markings?
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Thanks for the advice on the primer. I tend to get lazy and use cans for priming as well instead of firing up the airbrush. Also the coats tend to be more even this way. :thumbup: Yes, tell us about your camo ???

Your wheel mod is a fantastic idea and the first time I see this.
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

dgsselkirk wrote:That triggered my memory, yes, what I did was cut the 2 posts out of the HL mantlet and remounted them inside the new one and then filled it with 2 part epoxy to hold in place.
Sweet! thanks!

So, that's not rattle-can primer? In the pictures it looked like the Tamiya light grey primer that comes in small cans. How well does that stuff stick to the brass and other metal attachments?

I didn't have much luck with the Tamiya grey (rattle can) primer on my PzIII. So, I used an automotive primer on my PzIV, which seems to adhere to the brass and pot metal better.

Wheels look awesome!
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

It is actually the white small can Tamiya primer. Just looks greyish because it is covering dark surface. It doesn't need to be a thick coat. Metal it is pretty good. The trick is to get all the oils off everything. I use rubbing alcohol and an old paint brush. Again it really does need time to set up before paint. I have used auto primer and a couple of others too but find they are to heavy for any detail work I do.

Not sure on camo yet but thinking Das Reich Normandy to combat my Firefly's...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

I love this build, I truly love this tank. For a long time it has been my all-time favorite tank. The panther d looked good but there's just something about the a model how it doesn't drop off in the back the straight line makes the tracks look better on it somehow, I also hated the D mantlet with that oversized chin that ruined the nice smooth and round gun mantle. When I think of a panther I think of this one. I always wanted one no side skirts just simple Panther without any extras. For me it is the symbol of armor. I have been thinking about doing this build for myself and adding it to my collection but I always hold back thinking that someone like Trumpeter will release one someday and then I will kick myself for spending the many many many many hours it would require to make it right.
square4
Lance Corporal

Post by square4 »

Just gone through this thread, some great scratch work being done, looking very good so far.
Well done. :clap: :clap:

Chris
I never finish anyth
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

Thanks for the kind words guys,

so gave it the overall Tamiya dark yellow and then added some further details. I like to do this so that you get the nice base coat on but you don't want it to go too thick on some of the detail work so I add that after the base coat and then do a light coat on the details. Added debris screens with scratch built frames, open sights, etc.. Also installed magnetic antenna. This works great when you want to do service on the inside of the tank. Just pop the antenna off . Also it means that anything striking the antenna won't break it it will just bend away but the magnet will pull it back in position. did some test fitting of some of the tools.Also started on periscopes. What I did for this was use the PE ones, fill the lens area with 2 part epoxy, then cut them in 1/2 to fit under the guards. Also planning on mounting spare wheels to the turret so drilled out the bolt mounts and using a little threaded rod made the mounts.
1.JPG
1.JPG (74.1 KiB) Viewed 4519 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (72.01 KiB) Viewed 4519 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (69.17 KiB) Viewed 4519 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (69.25 KiB) Viewed 4519 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (56.15 KiB) Viewed 4519 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (52.01 KiB) Viewed 4519 times