"PRODUCTION" TURRET KING TIGER

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

"PRODUCTION" TURRET KING TIGER

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Team

Got an example of the new H/L King Tiger with Henschel Turret yesterday.
Its pretty crisp with very few mould lines and no apparent faults from the first look around.
It appears to be modeled on the La Gleise '213' as would be a fairly good guess.
Comes with caps for the axle hub screws and quite good detailed cables & tools etc.

I bought heavy steel tracks, drive & idlers, wheels, suspension arms, springs, exhausts, 4:1 steel gearboxes, engine cover mesh, turret track links in steel,and there will be more to come.

Its an impressive beast when put next to my Tiger 1 and Jagdpanther...............makes the poor Pz III & StuG III seem like actual toys.

Have been longing to get one & try to pull off an interpreation of a pretty famous Tiger II from very late in the war.
Attachments
16la2ap[1].jpg
16la2ap[1].jpg (52.69 KiB) Viewed 7228 times
imagesCAIL3A2X.jpg
imagesCAIL3A2X.jpg (46.09 KiB) Viewed 7228 times
imagesCAJMGNA4.jpg
imagesCAJMGNA4.jpg (45.26 KiB) Viewed 7228 times
P8141406.JPG
P8141405.JPG
P8141403.JPG
P8141399.JPG
P8141398.JPG
out of the box
out of the box
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: "PRODUCTION" TURRET KING TIGER

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Mine will retain the full width battle tracks(because they look right) and will lack the very late-late drive sprocket with I believe 18 teeth, but this too may change.
Ive always wanted to do the 'Octopus' King Tiger & now I have my chance.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Herman,

The KT looks sick, and I have to say that these factory paint jobs are looking better and better these days. Looking forward to seeing the new paint job though !

MichaelC.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Looks really good Herman.... 2.4 gig?.... Early morning test run :D

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman,
Looks like a great start to a great Build! Will be following your work per usual.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

Its my understand the oct paint job was primer red and the standard tan colour...those tanks were "supose" to have just rolled out of the factory when they did not have any colour and combat track left..........but i could be wrong as I have only read this.

Not sure the joint on the front of the turret looks right....
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: "OCTO-TIGER

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Seems Im into the controversial ones.
The later- but not last build KTs still retained the 9 tooth sprockets and the wide tracks.
The last builds has 18tooth sprockets & after the soviets had over run the Skoda works (where apparently the bulk of track castings came from for this model) there were only transport tracks available. Again, this would depend on who had what, where, at what time.
Base was dark green or red primer, with gelb over spray.
There is a lot of debate as to if there were up to 8 including the subject picture done in the octopus scheme.

I like the scheme and though I feel its not going to be easy to get the rings on in the correct scale and make it look right, if it turns out near enough, thats fine.
Could easily get away with a 'Bitsa" of repaired turrets, miss matched roadwheels and hull etc etc, but that wopuldnt satisfy the need for the octo-Tiger.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Your a lucky guy Herman that king tiger looks nice!!
This is the same scheme I want to do, I am getting a full option tamiya king kit from a local fella as soon as I manage to save the $500 if only it grew on trees :haha:
I think it's a great pattern as the sAmbush Is done so much. ( however I really like the look of ambush also)
The Octo is so cool. Can't wait to follow your build!!!
:)
Last edited by Markocaster on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: "OCTO-TIGER

Post by ALPHA »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Seems Im into the controversial ones.
The later- but not last build KTs still retained the 9 tooth sprockets and the wide tracks.
The last builds has 18tooth sprockets & after the soviets had over run the Skoda works (where apparently the bulk of track castings came from for this model) there were only transport tracks available. Again, this would depend on who had what, where, at what time.
Base was dark green or red primer, with gelb over spray.
There is a lot of debate as to if there were up to 8 including the subject picture done in the octopus scheme.

I like the scheme and though I feel its not going to be easy to get the rings on in the correct scale and make it look right, if it turns out near enough, thats fine.
Could easily get away with a 'Bitsa" of repaired turrets, miss matched roadwheels and hull etc etc, but that wopuldnt satisfy the need for the octo-Tiger.
Get some stick on linoleum..cut a one inch square block... stick it to a piece of wood and make a stamp...that way all the "sucker" marks will be pretty much the same...just make sure you tack out the paint before applying ;)

ALPHA
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

The "sucker" marks look hand spraied to me....not sure how I will be able to get the air brush that tight...I am going to do something like that on the now rebuilt e100.....

Return to “Heng Long Builds”