"JAGD"- KAMPFWAGON 173 REDO

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: "JAGD"- KAMPFWAGON 173 REDO

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Nice to have you stopping in Mr Tracks
This was my first build in 35 years, so much to improve on.
Tanks never really are done eh
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jtracks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by jtracks »

That's for sure Herman. Every time I pass by a tank I say "Maybe I should add this or that" Your build is great.
Joe
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I remember back to when I put this to the test, and the nasty squark that I got as I turned it.
Plastic gears cannot cope with metal running gear.
My pinion shaft split !, that was the noise of gears spinning on each other going nowhere :/

Sorted now with Taigen black steel gears.
I will order a 2.4Gig radio set for it as well, while Im in there.

Gears I got back then, wheels not used on the Zu-Fuss.................I love spare parts :thumbup:
Attachments
PA110125.JPG
PA110123.JPG
PA110122.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Yip, it is that, and unused to failure of the shaft as I am :shifty: , this was quite the thing :/ :{ :{
Ive got a 2.4Gig set in the shopping cart from Tank Army, but wont get that until I secure my crew men that a rather inconvenient car rego put the brake on :thumbdown:
Once the radio is in, I can complete the new suspension install and get the schurzen mounts & plates done.
By then Im hoping the good stuff will be here for the Jagdtiger..................
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Well, I cant help the rego costs, so no point fretting over it as frustrating as it is.
Ive got several cars that seem to fall due on top of each other, so Im trying to sort that this time.

Figured out a way of matching the new camo on the schurzen to the existing pattern.
Taped the plates to a board & lined the tank up next to them. Shot reference points from the camo lines down onto the plates & marked them accordingly.
I should be able to get a near enough match that will be ok to the eye once all the weathering & dirt goes on.

Made the new brass mounts too, these schurzen plates will simply hang in place, so might be some interesting moments when the tank is out in field.
As this was my first build of any kind for 35 odd years, and Ive done a few since, I cant help looking at it with a critical eye now ! :/
No welds, mantlet not modified, headlight still a goldfish eye.............. :think:
Attachments
PA150121.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

All good work! Like the "first in series" bucket!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

philipat wrote:All good work! Like the "first in series" bucket!
Thanks Mr Phil, it is a bit of a nostalgia trip looking at where it began !
Its inevitable though that I will have to change the bucket protocol once I reach a number thats too many flowers to fit on a bucket :haha:

Got the camo on the 'bag-tags' just now.
The plan of pre marking seems to have worked, now its a case of wait for the radio gear to arrive, secure the upper & lower hull, then reinstate all the running gear.
Then place the schurzen mounts & wash it all in.
Attachments
PA160122.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

http://www.scalemodellingnow.com/fn-arm ... agdpanther

I thought I had seen every version of how to make your Jagdpanther look good, and then this.................. :/
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Have got a bit done in between rugby, Moto GP and V8 Supercar races..............

Fitted the metal running gear, and skirt hangers, got frustrated at waiting to get the radio gear so just pushed on with finishing the upgrade.
Dusted over the new paint with a thinned XF-52 over the top of a wash of MIG 1000 Brown for German Dark Yellow and it seems to have bought the old and new together pretty well.
All I need to do now is talk 'Von Runstedt' from Hobby Havoc/NBRCTC into airbrushing the crosses on instead of the decals I used.

The "bag-tag" schurzen turned out ok ;)
Attachments
Not bad for airline bag tags eh !!
Not bad for airline bag tags eh !!
Dusted in
Dusted in
skirtless !
skirtless !
new and fresh
new and fresh
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Herman,
You've done excellent work here and it really shows. The stand out armor plates are marvels! I didn't think that you could make this build improve to this degree and I am pleased to be wrong. I'm also glad that you got rid of the HL frogeye led. You sanded the led down before you installed the cover, right? The reason I ask is I see two mounting rings there and they should be right up against each other. Following along, my friend.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”