"JAGD"- KAMPFWAGON 173 REDO

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

"JAGD"- KAMPFWAGON 173 REDO

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Clean forgot to get the camera out untill well into it, but have a reasonable sequence line to outling the revamp of a stock driveline Jagdpanther , in my opinion mid-late build towards wars end.
Hope this picture submission works as planned, or this could get messy !
Attachments
front vent and raised rear sections to come.
front vent and raised rear sections to come.
with anti aircraft armour first fit
with anti aircraft armour first fit
in the raw post dunkelgelb first coat
in the raw post dunkelgelb first coat
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Re: "JAGD"- KAMPFWAGON 173

Post by doc larsson »

man i so want a jagdpanther ! will be watching......
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman,
Nice paint there! I am with Doc, I need to get a Jagdpanther one day. The only thing holding me back is thoughts of another go round with the spare track holders. *chuckles* They are the same on the Panther and Jagdpanther.
Regards,
Painless
Last edited by PainlessWolf on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Here for the Dawn...
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

Post by Red Devils »

Sweet looking Jagdpanther Herman, you got some great brass details...

Derek
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
First in the Field - Since 1914.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Got the vents closed in The one below the shell case ejection hatch was made to sit just below the opening so the hatch would still open.
concept is that these would have been hastily fabricated by the crew, or another member of the deployment to try and stave off battlefield destruction by aircraft. By the later stages, I would assume the crew had more to worry about from aircraft and mechanical failure or fuel shortage than enemy tank action per-se. The mounts will have been welded onto the engine covers, not bolted-to hard with no access to time, gear and skills. in fact, they used their own Schurzen to provide materials!. The lack of maintenance units and technical support meant that the inconvenience of the armour secured to the engine deck covers did not attract the usual trouble from the maintenance guys !!
simply 'form follows function'
Textured using baking soda onto the wet undercoat, then over coated with Dunkelgelb.
Attachments
REAR DECK FITTED WITH ALL SECTIONS OF ARMOUR & TEXTURING.
REAR DECK FITTED WITH ALL SECTIONS OF ARMOUR & TEXTURING.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

broke out the airbrush for the first time. new out of the box. tested it on paper & brass to get the swing of it before any tears on the main event.! Used Tamiya J green with a touch of white. I was nervous to hit the paint valve to say the least - my last job painting something like this(but smaller) was using the 'Verlinden' technique of dry brushing over basic sprayed base. 50/50 thinned out seemed to offer the best balance of coverage and colour depth. (starting to sound like a halfwit Piccaso !)
Attachments
left side first coat
left side first coat
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

got a handle on it now. painting at night after the little ones are in bed, compressor outside-hose running in through the window !
front
front
Attachments
right side
right side
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Now for the Red-brown. again thinned 50/50, dropped the pressure right down so I could get a thin outline of the brown pattern, then upped the pressure back to 30psi for the infilling. I carried the pattern down into the lower hull behind the roadwheels because at this stage I had not made my mind up on the final look.
top right 3/4 view
top right 3/4 view
left front 3/4 view
left front 3/4 view
Attachments
rear
rear
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Evening, Herman,
First time out for using an Airbrush? You, sir, are a Natural! People try multiple times to achieve the excellent! results you got right at the start.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thanks mate, yes, first time on the airbrush. Back in the other life I couldn't afford a Badger (at the time they were all that we could get growing up in New Zealand) so, it was spray cans from the hobby shop & dry brushing. I feel though that with the small war gamming scales of 172/76 an airbrush would have just worn my patience out much earlier than now !
Got onto some preliminary weathering, mud application etc. Did up a brew of white glue, burnt sienna, raw umber, and Tamiya flat earth, baking soda, and dry used tea leaves. Decided I didn't like the cam pattern on the lower hull, so this was the stuff to fix that !
Lay'd out a few add- ons once the 'mud' settled to see how it was going to look, and to get a feeling for alternative placement.
muddy chin
muddy chin
muddy rear-nothing worse
muddy rear-nothing worse
stuck grit
stuck grit
scuffs & splashes
scuffs & splashes
tracks with flat earth and raw umber basecoat
tracks with flat earth and raw umber basecoat
Attachments
Idler & rear stowage box area.
Idler & rear stowage box area.
dry run on tow cable placement and spare track links
dry run on tow cable placement and spare track links
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Heng Long Builds”