KV-1 on the bench

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
scalawag

Re: KV-1 on the bench

Post by scalawag »

:thumbup: Love watching your builds Palepainter. Your skills with an airbrush certainly show in every model you produce. I like the level of weathering you achieve too, just the right balance in my book. :thumbup:
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

Thanks Scalawag! It has been some time since I have enjoyed the modeling. I have enjoyed using my airbrush on something different. I actually started airbrushing working on these things when I was about 10 yrs old. I have learned a lot since then. :) I appreciate the kind words. This is what I do with it mostly these days.
http://www.learnguitars.com http://www.mikelearn.com I build and paint guitars mostly these days. I will have to do a tank weathered finish on a guitar in the near future. I do get to do a lot of other stuff with my airbrush, but this tank stuff kind of takes me back to when I was a little guy. ;D

I have 3 beat up Tigers now to deal with. These first two have been fun. Each one stepping it up a bit. I am looking forward to spring for some local IR battles.
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Ah Tigers! now those I can't wait to see :D so much you can do with them with all the add ons and what not.

Love the web sites, your work is stunning.

I am just starting out with the airbrush myself. I have made models on and off since I was a lad (44 now) but have always gotten by with brushes until now. I think I am gradually getting better with my technique. I am quite pleased with the limited work I have used it for so far. Lots of practice needed I guess :D
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Came out great palepainter... I especially like the affects you did on the open tank ...it really looks like someone lost the funnel :haha:

Is that it? or are you going to add more? I think it looks great as it stands...but there are others who might like to see more rust :haha: ...but to me.. she looks perfect... as Scalawag said... There's a nice Balance :thumbup:

ALPHA
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

Thanks Alpha, I added more today after painting the chassis. I added more rust and chipping. Not over board, but a bit more. I messed with a few different application techniques. I am still working on some of the light dusting and rust stains.

I started to tear down one of the Tigers today. Will start a thread one one of them next week. I have two that are decent starters. I may try a bit more scratch built with a variant of the Tiger. Have to do more research.
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Palepainter, have you seen this site for Tiger info?

http://www.alanhamby.com/tiger.html

I have found it useful for info on Tiger Is generally. Not too much about other variants but some great pics in the gallery, and the month by month model changes section is really useful to see what features might be seen together on any given tiger.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

palepainter wrote:Thanks Alpha, I added more today after painting the chassis. I added more rust and chipping. Not over board, but a bit more. I messed with a few different application techniques. I am still working on some of the light dusting and rust stains.

I started to tear down one of the Tigers today. Will start a thread one one of them next week. I have two that are decent starters. I may try a bit more scratch built with a variant of the Tiger. Have to do more research.
Boy Palepainter... three TIGERS... one PANZER.... whomever gets the KV will be outnumbered :haha: ....I'm sure they will all turn out great...though I think I've seen enough TIGERS... I really like how your KV turned out....I can't wait to see Painless do his SHERMAN ... for some reason... I wouldn't say it's the time of year or anything... I like seeing some allied armor being done maybe it's the variety ...Did you see the zimmerit pattern Mcevoyi posted... it's very cool... but looks so labor intensive...it would be interesting to see someone from this board do it.... hint hint ;)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS palepainter :thumbup:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

scalawag wrote:Ah Tigers! now those I can't wait to see :D so much you can do with them with all the add ons and what not.

Love the web sites, your work is stunning.

I am just starting out with the airbrush myself. I have made models on and off since I was a lad (44 now) but have always gotten by with brushes until now. I think I am gradually getting better with my technique. I am quite pleased with the limited work I have used it for so far. Lots of practice needed I guess :D
:haha: I'm the very opposite of you Scalawag ... I used to airbrush a lot.... but for some reason... I wanted to go back when I didn't have that luxury ... and see if I could mimic certain fades and things with a brush.... so for me... I do what you did... and use brushes more.... what I've realized using my brushes.... you can create textures on the surfaces of tanks.... real ones aren't smooth like the surface of a car... they have that fine bead blasted look...by stippling with a large brush when the paint is tacky... it's easy to mimic.... an airbrush cannot do that... without base coating with a brush

You probably know this already having practiced the technique for such a long time...I gave up on brushes awhile ago... and only now am rediscovering the affects that can be achieved using them

Do you have any threads with pictures of your tanks? as a novice... I would enjoy seeing your work done with brushes :D

ALPHA
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

scalawag wrote:Palepainter, have you seen this site for Tiger info?

http://www.alanhamby.com/tiger.html

I have found it useful for info on Tiger Is generally. Not too much about other variants but some great pics in the gallery, and the month by month model changes section is really useful to see what features might be seen together on any given tiger.
Thank you Sir!!! Awesome resource.
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

My pleasure Palepainter, glad you found the site useful. :D

Alpha, no I don't have any pics on the forum yet, must get round to taking some photos and posting them. :)

Return to “Heng Long Builds”