KV-1 on the bench

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: KV-1 on the bench

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
That's some jaw dropping work there, Pale. I love the bullet hole in the headlight! Fenders definitely look like some Sov tanker took it through a building once or twice. The antenna in front would just be cosmetic if you use the Fix that Alpha is using. Here is what I have found on what the front antenna looked like: (Note the forward angle to clear the gun tube and spreader to give the short aerial more range)
regards,
Painless

P.S. The illustration is from my Vanguard book, #24 Soviet Heavy Tanks by Zaloga and Grandsen
Attachments
KV-1 cutaway illustration.JPG
KV-1 cutaway illustration.JPG (80.82 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
...Here for the Dawn...
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

Thank you for the reference Painless. I think I am going to try a stock location with auxiliary one in the hull or in metal tool box on fender. Lots of great input. Thank you.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Morning,
That's some jaw dropping work there, Pale. I love the bullet hole in the headlight! Fenders definitely look like some Sov tanker took it through a building once or twice. The antenna in front would just be cosmetic if you use the Fix that Alpha is using. Here is what I have found on what the front antenna looked like: (Note the forward angle to clear the gun tube and spreader to give the short aerial more range)
regards,
Painless

P.S. The illustration is from my Vanguard book, #24 Soviet Heavy Tanks by Zaloga and Grandsen
Hello Painless... my antenna is left functional... in the case of reception I have more faith in redundancy :haha: ...especially since when I tested it on my PANZER III,,, I got more range even with the side antenna in the down position :thumbup:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

palepainter wrote:Thank you for the reference Painless. I think I am going to try a stock location with auxiliary one in the hull or in metal tool box on fender. Lots of great input. Thank you.
Hi Palepainter... yeah those boxes are perfect... only problem is they are ...in composition... very close to lead.. an insulating material....so you might want to get some scrap copper... flatten it out cut it to fit inside your boxes then solder wires to them (if you are going to do them in tandem)...the internal ones I've read about here aren't as efficient as the helicopter wire I used ...I tried .... once the hull is closed.... you lose about 20% of your range..compared to having the upper hull off

But it does work :thumbup:

GOOD LUCK

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

palepainter wrote:I have not hooked the smoker up yet. It will be a week or so before I deal with that issue. I appreciate the thoughts and ideas on the antennae. That gives me some stuff to think about!!!
While I was waiting for your reply... I actually think I found a solution... after I try it I'll let you know.... because as the design stands.... there is about an eighth of an inch clearance between the motor and the hull ...so the alternative would be to move the smoker... and change to low profile gearbox cages...which in my case used my last spare for my CHAFFEE build ...meaning replacing the current gearboxes ...which to me ...would be a total waste....
With that said... I think my idea will work... yes without the use of bicycle spokes lol.... I'll let you know the result :thumbup:

ALPHA
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

I had an hour or so I could spend on the rear and top vents. I took the dremel cutter to the top vent section, cut it out and replaced it with two lengths of styrene. The rear got a screen mesh. Hopefully with these and the rear vent opened up now, it will get some air in the back to help keep things cooler.

I also added a small cross bar to the future rear brake light.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Evening,
That vent shutter fix is a big hit with the Russian armor, I'll be checking out all of the cool Sov Builds when the time comes. Lead on, I'm following closely.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

I hate to be a Negative Nelly ... I cut my vents out... and after I did... asked myself why :crazy:

It seemed like a good idea because of how the T-34 came out.... but after doing it.... realized it would only be a cosmetic detail... weakening the hull... and leaving four parts that could break off and fall into the works
I would say anyone who wants to do it on the KV ... to seriously consider it before cutting....the vents are located directly above the Rx 18...and traverse motor for the turret... opening the ports allows for moisture to get to them...relegating that mod to an "idea that seems good before you do it...but not that good once it's done"...anyway...now considering moving the Rx18 and smoker nothing to be done about the traverse motor... so will just have to live with that

ALPHA
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

Good points!
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

While I was waiting for your reply... I actually think I found a solution... after I try it I'll let you know.... because as the design stands.... there is about an eighth of an inch clearance between the motor and the hull ...so the alternative would be to move the smoker... and change to low profile gearbox cages...which in my case used my last spare for my CHAFFEE build ...meaning replacing the current gearboxes ...which to me ...would be a total waste....
With that said... I think my idea will work... yes without the use of bicycle spokes lol.... I'll let you know the result :thumbup:
I am going to use a square tubing on the underside that connect the two exhausts together. Then I am going to tap into the side of the tubing and insert a brass runner that will tie into the flex. I am thinking I can move the smoker right next to controller. I am going to clay the area and see exactly what I am dealing with. Thanks for all your input.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”