PRAVDA's Blizzard Buster "GIGANT"

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
blimp
Sergeant

Re: PRAVDA's Blizzard Buster "GIGANT"

Post by blimp »

Hi guys , the cylindrical container was for the cleaning gear on kV 1's , so it was not fitted to kV2's . - The real aerial position was in the armoured 'pot' , in front of the hull m.g. - of course if you have 2.4 radio gear , you don't need for an aerial at all .
to the bouncy room ! Yay !
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

blimp wrote:Hi guys , the cylindrical container was for the cleaning gear on kV 1's , so it was not fitted to kV2's . - The real aerial position was in the armoured 'pot' , in front of the hull m.g. - of course if you have 2.4 radio gear , you don't need for an aerial at all .
Thanks Blimp...yeah I wish HENG LONG would convert all their tanks to 2.4...but I'm going to leave this one crystal for now...I don't know if you saw my solution... using RC helicopter antenna wire ...it actually works great... and by soldering it to something bigger makes it even better
So the tube will be made of copper... the wire will rest inside of it...so the copper tube I use to replace the plastic cylinder will become a booster of sorts :D

Thanks again Blimp... :thumbup:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Evening, Alpha,
How about this: Drill a wire sized hole in the hull closest to where the tube sits. Drill a wire sized hole in the bottom of the tube (to also see if it is hollow) If hollow, carefully trim off the end of the tube. Run antenna gauge wire from the receiver out of the hull hole into the hole in the tube and spool it around a plastic or wood toothpick until you have enough for good coverage of signal then insert it into the tube and glue the end piece back on. Presto!, an almost invisible external antenna.
warm regards,
Painless
Thanks Painless... the reason I'm getting rid of the plastic tube...is so I can use a piece of copper tube... which actually gives me better range..as it acts like a booster

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

After eight more hours... I was able to secure everything ...at times it seemed like the turret wasn't going to work...but I think she is good now :D

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Evening,
I'm glad to hear that you are getting rid of the plastic tube, Alpha. Congrats on getting all of the moving parts moving as well. I'll be looking forward to ...pictures... of your progress. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Evening,
I'm glad to hear that you are getting rid of the plastic tube, Alpha. Congrats on getting all of the moving parts moving as well. I'll be looking forward to ...pictures... of your progress. ;o)
regards,
Painless
Hi Painless.. I'm going to try to get some images up of what modifications to the modifications I did in the turret... :crazy: ....I didn't get much done this past night... the previous pretty much wore me out... so I took a short break to clear the mind and let the little grey cells regenerate ... as much as they possibly can lol...but this adventure in converting the static turret into a working RC turret is turning out to be quite the challenge...there are so many variables to overcome...as some ideas turn into nightmares in reconstruction lol

But that's the hobby... and I definitely signed up for it... and understand the pitfalls ..which can hopefully turn into gains ...that being a finished tank.. and the fun playing with it :D

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Sorry Gents... didn't get a chance to take any photos... bad day yesterday... so spent most of the time locking everything up on the turret...it looks like it will work.. haven't tested it yet... thinking that I have to take it apart again to take pics and all

anyway... all that's needed for the turret is the install of the spin ring... and she should be good to go ...keeping my fingers crossed :lolno:

Then on to the hull ... dang motor screens are going to be a pain to mod lol

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
I hope that today is a better day for you, Alpha. No rush on things, take your time and have fun. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Morning,
I hope that today is a better day for you, Alpha. No rush on things, take your time and have fun. ;o)
regards,
Painless
Hey painless... yeah yesterday was all dark and gloomy with lots and lots of rain... even inside the grey just seemed to permeate... so instead of risking a power outage or something like that ...I pretty much just worked on the turret... even though I found the resin to be very user friendly... I'm not sure I would recommend going this route ...as keeping the mandrel pivot point became an issue.... think I worked it out though... so if anyone else finds this resin gem... they can follow what I did if they want to...I also think later on down the road I might be able to put the recoil into it... but until I fabricate one... or find one that is more suitable without major electrical changes... I'll stick with the bb unit for now ... had to extend the barrel for accuracy purposes ... so hopefully everything works out when I test it :D

Have a good one Painless....thanks for the encouragement... yes... it does help :thumbup:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Greetings Gents... Here are the photo's I promised
Hopefully this is the final form for the KV-2 turret

the major components the mandrel and mandrel pivot are studded with ... of all things bicycle spokes :haha:
made "shelves" for the elevation mech... and mounting points for the bottom of the turret

one screw locks the mandrel and pivot together

The firing mech then fits between the two spokes...and then the fabricated aluminum bracket put in place... locked up with two screws

the elevation unit had to be offset...also part of the reason for the fabricated aluminum bracket ... lucky the KV-2 turret has a lot of space...otherwise this wouldn't be possible

All stitched up... the screws for the turret base are countersunk and hold the two pieces together well...also you can see the extended airsoft barrel

which get's covered perfectly by the resin barrel ...there is less than a 1/4 in buffer between the two ends... I didn't want any less than that as it could possibly alter the path of the bb

the small details... handrails and things... the periscope covers came from the stock KV1...They just looked better than the resin ...the scopes themselves were provided with the resin kit

back hatch detail... the machine gun will be connected later

took this one just to show the accessibility through the back hatch... :D

That's it for now

ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”