1 Kompanie PzAbt 101 Tiger 131 Walter Hahn Project Diary

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Wildboar44
Corporal

Re: 1 Kompanie PzAbt 101 Tiger 131 Walter Hann Project Diary

Post by Wildboar44 »

Updated 28-11-2019
Ok Peoples ... had a break from the build .... it was that time when she who must be obeyed said those 3 little words " Lets Decorate please"

Zimmerit applied to sides
Back onto my build over the last week off work , first on the list of jobs was Zimmerit for the hull sides , although not correct following the original photo of Tiger 131 I decided to add some damage to the zimmerit in selected places .
Milliput Zimmerit right side with some damage
Milliput Zimmerit right side with some damage
Zimmerit to left side
Zimmerit to left side
A coat of white primer added to hull to act as a base for black outline pre shading
Hull coated white primer
Hull coated white primer
Using a pin drill, I ran around the features and restored a little detail as this Hull has had several coats of paint
Hull top bolts holes relieved with pin drill
Hull top bolts holes relieved with pin drill
Front mudguard bolt holes restored
Front mudguard bolt holes restored

And then it happened Just after adding the first coat of Dunklefuggle Tamiya XF60 Dark yellow the door bell rang........................
Did you know King Henry VIII established the foundation of the Royal Mail in Britain in the year 1516 ? . Still delivering the mail 503 years later !
Did you know King Henry VIII established the foundation of the Royal Mail in Britain in the year 1516 ? . Still delivering the mail 503 years later !
A-Royal-Mail-postman-deli-001.jpg (83.8 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
And what did he have for me ? Well Tanks-for-the-Memory had got in touch and kindly
offered his spare copy of Patrick A Stansell's book "The Modelers Guide to the Tiger Tank"
Ampersand Publishing 2003. He wanted no repayment and not even a mention. Well that shows
what a Gent and a top class bloke he is. It is without doubt one of the best
reference books for detailing the Tiger I and II on a chronological order. Thank you so much.
The book that changed it all
The book that changed it all
There are contained within its pages the following details on how the Tiger 1 evolved with drawing illustrations of the following :

10- Types of Hull layouts of tools and accessories.
6 - Types of Hull left side layout for the track draw cable location and placement.
7 - Types of Engine deck access door / rear Hull layout
4 - Types of Engine starter plate on rear Hull
6 - Types of rear Hull (back) layout
3 - Types of front drive sprocket Hub Caps
6 - Types of Turret configurations.
11 -Types of Gun Mantlet Manufacture variations
10 - Types of Loaders Hatch variations
4 - Types of Escape Hatch variations
5 - Types of Stowage Bin

And a 1000 other little small detail changes made along the way during the Tiger 1 evolvement, it is a gold mine of information, so much so I had to look again at what I had done so far. The detail obsession then kicked in !

Just like pandora's box, once that book was opened , there was no going back ................. :/

Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
Death Head
Lance Corporal

Post by Death Head »

What a fantastic build so far :clap:
Panther F, IBU2u
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Updated 30-11-2019

When you know you have to make those changes
So, I had settled down to read this book and the more I read the more I understood how this Tiger 131 should look if it was produced as Mid Production variant built in January of 1944.For me at least it will mean somethings I have done need slight modification, some things I was not going to do now seem inevitable if I want to get this to a Mid Production January 1944 example.The one thing you appreciate about these changes are that the various modifications during production are fluid in application,there was no definitave date a part was introduced or removed. Some features remained as stocks were used up and some features not fitted until the part was available even some time after it was listed as a modification.

Some changes are simple once you know what they are, 1st example is these moulded engine stop "catchs" on the rear Hull. These needed removing with a file and a more accurate versions built from styrene added to both sides of Hull
These HL profiled stops need to be removed and replaced with correct shaped replacements in styrene ( Click for larger image )
These HL profiled stops need to be removed and replaced with correct shaped replacements in styrene ( Click for larger image )
Another feature is the tightening lug on the forged engine intake cap was removed toward the Autumn of 1943 once the deep wading requirement was dropped earlier that year. The stud in the centre is the head of a dress making pin cut to length and inserted into small hole drilled into cap.
Deep wading tightening lug filed off and replaced with stud (Click for larger image )
Deep wading tightening lug filed off and replaced with stud (Click for larger image )
Toward October of 1943, the locking latches under the engine main hatch lifting handles were moved further rearward to behind the lifting handles.I removed the copper handles and with a combination of a sharp knife/file/rubbing block removed it and made 1.0mm styrene replacements for each side.
Corrected location of engine main hatch locks (Click for larger image )
Corrected location of engine main hatch locks (Click for larger image )
Also around the Autumn of 1943, the S-mine mounting plates that were fitted from December 1942 were no longer welded to the Hull. These were filled off from my Hull and at the same time I decided to rework the weld lines again with milliput but using a fine watch makers screwdriver to simulate weld.
S-Mine plates removed from Hull as these were deleted after October 1943<br />also weld lines reworked. (Click for larger image )
S-Mine plates removed from Hull as these were deleted after October 1943
also weld lines reworked. (Click for larger image )
At the time this build was starting, a common addition for any Mid/Late production conversion were the replacing of the domed sprocket hubs with the late "flat" style. Only upon reading the book did I realise there was a specific version for Mid Production Tiger's. The one's I had purchased(Schumo)were period incorrect and meant for Late production.I decided at the time to scratch build them nearer the time.Good job a few years on and with the advent of the 3D printer we can now (2019) have an accurate copy of the real thing :thumbup:
Early, Late and Mid Production Drive Hub centre caps (Click for larger image )
Early, Late and Mid Production Drive Hub centre caps (Click for larger image )
At the time of correcting the rear panel to remove the tell tale HL joint line I had failed to notice the missing tow hitch plates.These were added in styrene made from 2.0mm sheet and bonded in.
missing tow hitch fabricated from styrene.
missing tow hitch fabricated from styrene.
One of the Items I will be replacing is the Engine air intake. This one from Aisiatam (I think ?) is too big and too thick, also the bolts on top way out of scale. I will probably use a combination of PE Voyager brass and Styrene scratch building to replace it.
Compare Asiatam and the real intake, hence why I need to build a more to scale version
Compare Asiatam and the real intake, hence why I need to build a more to scale version
I also discovered that the C hook on the rear of my Hull is the wrong way round ! It should face inward :( The one on the front Hull was in the wrong location as well, this was corrected but now the clamps don't look to scale for my taste.Think it will be a case of scratch building or PE combination.
Corrected location of C Hook on front Hull further back and to the right.
Corrected location of C Hook on front Hull further back and to the right.
One last feature to add was thin weld line to the Hull. This was formed by cutting a 0.75mm thick styrene strip to 2.0mm wide.After generous coats of styrene cement it becomes soft enought to use a watch makers screwdriver to create the impression of a welded strip.This was then glued on.
Simulated weld line made from styrene strip
Simulated weld line made from styrene strip
Simulated Weld Line on Hull.jpg (96.95 KiB) Viewed 2490 times

Lastly I added the top coat of XF60 ........................................
Top Hull coated in Tamiya XF-60 Dunklebobble :)
Top Hull coated in Tamiya XF-60 Dunklebobble :)
So thats some of the changes that had to be made, ignorance is bliss as they say, but the longer these builds go on the more find myself wanting to add correct detailling and scale. I guess its a modellers curse :crazy:

Next update will be starting the Turret Modifications ..........

Last edited by Wildboar44 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
birger
Lance Corporal

Post by birger »

Very nice work.

Good details.

Good solutions.

Well done.

Greetings
Birger
Fahrzeuge einsatzbereit: Tiger I HL 313, Tiger I Tamiya S33, Star Wars Tiger, Bergetiger
In der Inst: HL-PIII Lackierung, Vollkettenschlepper, Tiefladeanhänger
In Planung: MLRS,Crusader, KöTi, Jagdtiger, PIII, PIV,
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Updated 07-12-2019

The Turret Modifications

The following are a summary of what changes are needed to be applied to make this Turret a Mid-Production version, remembering that as always there are many variations of the timeline of application and no one version should be taken as an exact representation of the definitive example. This particular example will have the following modifications.

Period Modification for converting an HL Early Turret to a Mid-Production example for Dec-Jan 1944 manufacture.
1-Removing Turret ventilator from the rear and placing it in the centre of the Turret.
2-Removing the left "pistol port" from the Early HL Long Turret (Removed when I first modified the Tiger)
3-Adding loaders periscope cover plate and periscope vision block.
4-Removing the Smoker launcher mounting plates on either side of Turret top.
5-Adding Turret spare track holders and track.
6-Addition of Zimmerit to the turret Sides and front.
7-Addition of an Anti-aircraft rail/sliding frame and MG34
8-Replacing the High collar Drum Early slot vision commander cupola with the lower 7 periscope Mid-Production version.
(Already swopped out for an Asiatam metal example on my original Tiger donor chassis but will be changed for a more accurate plastic Hachette replacement 1/16 scale version with more realistic proportions)

The following are "correction" details which are common to all HL Tigers (Circa 2013)
9-Re-profiling the pair of front Turret lifting lug bases and add in correct shape and scale lugs
10-Add the third lifting lug to the rear of the Turret.
11-Removing the HL Gun mantlet and replacing it with a Tamiya version with the correct "offset" to one side ( Viewed from front the barrel is offset in turret)
12-Add Full length metal barrel in correct extended mode detailed with PE and styrene.
13-Turret front "cheeks" re-modelled to correct thickness.
14-Turret roof front leading edge valance added in.
15-Removing the HL Turret Bin and replacing with Tamiya version which is the correct shape/angle and size. Detailing this with PE and styrene.
16-Drilling out the Turret side vision slits and adding fine detailed aluminium versions.

The last of the modifications is just down to pure preference
17-Conversion from a BB tank to IR/Recoil anticipation of a Clarke TK series controller unit.
18-Addition of a correct flat bezel, working opening escape hatch on the right hand side of the Turret.
19-Replacing the Asiatam metal Mid cupola with a more accurate profiled Mid/Late Hachette example with Periscopes and detailed with PE and styrene.
20-Cutting out the HL loaders hatch and grafting in a Tamiya version (hatch and lid) which is more to scale. Detailing these with PE and styrene.

First on the list was some easy jobs, this Turret ventilator was moved to a more central position after July 1943, so it was carefully removed .The replacement vent will be added at a later date. The small ridge was filed off and after plugging the base with styrene the hole was restored with Milliput.
Original location of Turret vent moved to central location beginning July 1943
Original location of Turret vent moved to central location beginning July 1943
After prizing off original cover, filing of raised lip, the hole was plugged with a styrene blank and filled with milliput.
After prizing off original cover, filing of raised lip, the hole was plugged with a styrene blank and filled with milliput.
Next on the list were the front pair of " Pilze" lifting lugs. These are the wrong hollow shape and size on original HL Tiger turrets,its a simple fix thankfully .
Incorrect profile to Turret lifting lugs (Pilze)
Incorrect profile to Turret lifting lugs (Pilze)
After drilling out the plastic centre pin, I then filled to void with Milliput and carefully restored the two outer drill marks as well as a centre for the replacement Pilze.
Hollow centre of lug filled and drill markings restored.
Hollow centre of lug filled and drill markings restored.
These replacement Pilze from Tank Modellbau come as a 3 part set, one for each side and one for the rear of the turret. After a suitable size drill was used they were set in using two part epoxy resin .
Correct profile lifting lugs from Tank.modellbau.de bonded onto re-profiled base
Correct profile lifting lugs from Tank.modellbau.de bonded onto re-profiled base
Next were the side turret vision slits, again these items from Tank Modellbau were used to give the turret a bit more detail, the original plastic mouldings(no slit) were drilled out and then after filing down the profile, the fine detail aluminium slits were bonded over the drilled hole .
Original incorrect  HL &quot;closed&quot; Turret side vision slits
Original incorrect HL "closed" Turret side vision slits
Slits drilled out in readyness for Tank.modellbau.de replacements
Slits drilled out in readyness for Tank.modellbau.de replacements
Tank.modellbau.de vision slits added on ( Zimmerit to be added later)
Tank.modellbau.de vision slits added on ( Zimmerit to be added later)
Lastly this is a photo shot of the small detail often overlooked until after reading these forums and the wealth of information that they hold. My loaders hatch from the HL original is too big, the Tamiya hatch lid is overlaid as an example of just how out of scale it is. Not strictly wrong but one of those detail things that take over !
Spot the difference !
Spot the difference !

Next will be the commanders cupola, until then ... Tank on ... :wave:

Last edited by Wildboar44 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

Post by Red Devils »

Looking good buddy...

Derek
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
First in the Field - Since 1914.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Thanks for the thumbs up fella's , its been a bit of a break for me with summer ( yes we has some sun in the UK .. ! )
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Last edited by Wildboar44 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Updated 10-12-2019

The Mid-Late Production Cupola. Lowering the upstand on a HL Turret for correct Height

Probably one of the top 5 things to do to a Heng Long Tiger1 is to change out the Early High Commander's Cupola for the lower "Mid-Late”-version. I did this originally to this tank not because I was seeking to put this Panzer into any particular vintage or year but more to do with the fact it was an "upgrade" and that's what you do ? don't you ? Same reason the stuck on Zimmerit and single headlight was installed,metal gearboxes and tracks added and a lick of paint. At some point later this tank ceases from being a "toy" and it develop’s into a "model",by then it is too late and the obsession monster has taken hold. Just like lemmings eh !

So this is how it all started off, you begin with prising off the Early Cupola and pop on an Asiatam/Taigen metal Mid-Late version, it is a simple fix, you just glue the metal one down to the original upstand and your off. I think the newer version of this by Taigen is lower but this is how this Asiatam version (2013) looked once fitted.
Original HL Turret Cupola changed for a Mid-Late Metal version when re-modelled this Tiger in 2011.  Click for larger image
Original HL Turret Cupola changed for a Mid-Late Metal version when re-modelled this Tiger in 2011. Click for larger image
This was Ok for a long time and to be honest it's not too bad really, until you learn to look a lot closer at photo's and develope that keen eye for detail (the obsession is coming!). Then you understand that the Cupola in real terms is a lot lower and flatter than the one I fitted.
Tiger 1 Mid-Late Cupola close up. Notice how small the periscope lenses are inside the casings Click for larger image.
Tiger 1 Mid-Late Cupola close up. Notice how small the periscope lenses are inside the casings Click for larger image.
So part of the re-build was to lower the Cupola, some of this can be acheived by grinding off some of the base from the Asiatam/Taigen metal Cupola but that will still leave it sitting a little to proud for my choice. Eventually I discovered you need to remove all the plastic collar.

However, these are the issues you will face when removing this feature.
1-This is the collar the original and my metal replacement are located on.
2-This is the ridge on the upstand that limits how low I could place the metal version. Ideal was to have the Cupola flat to the surface of the Turret Top. This meant grinding the upstand down which meant losing it.
3-The trouble is with doing this is the underside of this upstand locates the peg that retains the BB Schute and also helps retain the BB Gun swivel mount.
Understanding what happens if you grind off the upstand. click for larger image
Understanding what happens if you grind off the upstand. click for larger image

After a bit of examination and thought I found a way to retain the original fixings and support for the BB Schute and BB Barrel swivel and still take away all the surplus upstand that will allow the metal Mid-Late Cupola to be fixed flat the the surface.

1- This is the joint line between the upstand and the fitted Asiatam/Taigen cupola
2- Remove the screws for the BB Schute. Note the left pivot for the BB Gun barrel upper swivel is fixed to side of schute
3- This is the peg you are going to cut out and keep for re-use.
4- Being well an truly bonded on, a razor saw was used to cut the cupola off just below the metal through the plastic upstand.
Removing the Cupola and the peg you will need to retain. Click for larger image
Removing the Cupola and the peg you will need to retain. Click for larger image
5- This is as low as you can get the upstand by cutting off the plastic part.
6- With a pin drill and sharp knife from INSIDE remove the peg and base complete around the arrowed circle.
7 -File the edges back to the outer most circle to that they are flush with no steps in the ridges.
8- This is what is left on the outside. Dremel/file this collar down until flush.
Taking out the centre peg and opening up the upstand. Click for larger image
Taking out the centre peg and opening up the upstand. Click for larger image
9- Once you have Dremel/filed off the upstand it should look like this.
10-As you can see the screw from the BB schute has no where to fix too.
11-Same goes for the base plate of a IR/Recoil unit.
12-This is the saved peg in its cut out, scribe these lines along as marked and cut the rest off.
The problem and the Solution. Click for larger image
The problem and the Solution. Click for larger image
13-Once you have cut the peg to shape it should look like this.
14-Screw the peg base back to the BB Schute and screw the unit complete back inside the Turret. Mark the location of the peg base with a scribe/marker. Dis-assemble and epoxy bond in the peg base to the underside of Turret top in the marked position.
15-Now the BB Schute is secure in the Turret.
16-Or the IR/Recoil base plate (This is being retro fitted converting this BB tank to a recoil/IR version)
The post mount restored once you have removed the upstand. Click for larger image.
The post mount restored once you have removed the upstand. Click for larger image.

This is the replacement Asiatam/Taigen fitted Cupola sitting on the Turret top plate. As you can see compared to the reference photo's it is still too high (2013 version). This is the amount of metal that will be needed to be ground off from the base in order to be what I would estimate to be the correct hight. To locate it I will fabricate a liner inside the aperture to hold the Cupola in place.
Still needs some metal removed for this Asiatam/Taigen unit to look correct.
Still needs some metal removed for this Asiatam/Taigen unit to look correct.

Thank you for watching, hope that helps... Until next update ... Tankon :thumbup:

Last edited by Wildboar44 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 8 times in total.
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Great work Wildboar44!

But time to show us some more...

Tanks
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350

Return to “Heng Long Builds”