1 Kompanie PzAbt 101 Tiger 131 Walter Hahn Project Diary

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Wildboar44
Corporal

Re: 1 Kompanie PzAbt 101 Tiger 131 Walther Hahn Project Dia

Post by Wildboar44 »

Updated 09-11-2019
There are two options of the Jack detailing. The one listed here was intended to add some detail to the main body of the Jack. These are simple modifications intended at the time to create a less of a stuck on plastic look. Like all things, during the build progress you learn more and become absorbed about the detail !. The second version is a full PE brass build, this has yet to be built but its on the list !

The 15tonne jack on the rear of the HL Tiger is supplied missing a lot of details , I did not want to put it back on to the new rear panel without adding some of those missing parts. First thing was to fill the void in underneath the jack with milliput .
Hollow underside of Jack body filled with Milliput
Hollow underside of Jack body filled with Milliput
Then using a paper clip bent to shape I added a handle to the jack body .
Jack Handled added made from paper clip glued in
Jack Handled added made from paper clip glued in
To make some jack mounting plates , I took the 2.5x2.5mm brass channel I used to mount the firewall and dremmeled it down to around half its original height .
Brass 2.5x2.5mm channel ground down with dremmel
Brass 2.5x2.5mm channel ground down with dremmel
After taking some measurements from the jack I filed two V grooves in the cut down channel and cut it to length.
Brass channel with V grooves
Brass channel with V grooves
After heating the channel over the gas ring I bend it back along the V grooves to form a C bracket..........
Brass channel bent after heating over gas ring
Brass channel bent after heating over gas ring
This was then bonded to the jack body with two part epoxy resin, I drilled a 1.5mm hole into the channel to accepts a form of locking pin made from the same paper clip.
Brass channel bonded to Jack
Brass channel bonded to Jack
To make the handle that is missing from the HL jack, I broke off 5mm from the end of a 2.5mm drill bit. This was used to insert into the jack block casing.
Jack drive shaft pin made fron 2.5mm drill bit
Jack drive shaft pin made fron 2.5mm drill bit
To make the connecting plate from the jack body incorporating the jack handle I filed down a 1.5mm sheet of styrene to connect the stub to the main handle. The rest of the drill bit was snapped off to the correct height.
Jack handle plate made from styrene
Jack handle plate made from styrene
To secure the jack handle to the rear panel , I used the sprue from PE brass engine grill awaiting fitment. This was formed around the drill bit and bonded to the drill bit to imitate a locating fastner.
Brass sprue from Taigen engine grill set used as bracket for jack handle
Brass sprue from Taigen engine grill set used as bracket for jack handle
It may not be the best true accurate representation of the way a 15tonne jack was located, but it adds some detail to an otherwise bland jack body. The jack was epoxy bonded using the original mounting holes onto the rear panel.
Detailed Jack body now fixed back in place
Detailed Jack body now fixed back in place
Thanks for watching...until the next update...

Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Very nice. I felt the same way with my Tiger's jack so this will be the blue print for me !
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

Post by Red Devils »

Looking sweet Gordo...

Derek
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
First in the Field - Since 1914.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Thanks for replies Guy's ,really appreciated :thumbup:
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Updated 16-11-2019

Ok, Heavy work load means not a lot done this week , slipping in a few hours in the garage I gave the rear panel a coat of Grey Automotive Cellulose primer. I prefer grey for the first coat as it highlights any errors or rough features like the seam line on the jack and the rough edges around the access hatch from the Milliput application, both were filed off and cleaned up.
Primed rear panel
Primed rear panel
Looking at various photo's and reading Wolfgang Schneiders book Tiger in combat II, It would seem that the 1st Kompanie PzAbt 101 Tiger's displayed the Corps insignia on the left rear Hull. On the 1st and 3rd Kompanie the insignia was located onto a "cut out" panel where the Zimmerit was removed . At some time but until the decals turn up I will have to remove this area of Zimmerit with a file to replicate this feature. It is not clear if the 3rd company displayed the corps insignia on the rear as well ( Mentioned only on the front) its only meantioned that the 1st kompanie had them on right rear Hull and left front Hull .
Location of 1st and 3rd Kompanie insignia
Location of 1st and 3rd Kompanie insignia
Unique to the 101st PzAbt was the form of a Tactical insignia for a tank company in the form of a Rhombus with the Latin S and a small 1 denoting the 1st kompanie. This was applied directly onto the Zimmerit
101st PzAbt Tactical Insignia location
101st PzAbt Tactical Insignia location
One of the last items to be added to the rear panel were the missing rear mud flaps. These are metal ones from WDM. As these were added to the rear panel after the Zimmerit was applied, you can clearly see the join where the surfaces connect .
Gaps around mudflap and zimmerit 1
Gaps around mudflap and zimmerit 1
Gaps around mudflap and zimmerit 2
Gaps around mudflap and zimmerit 2
A Simple tip I have learnt where any hard edge meets another surface and I want to blend them in, is to use some white PVA wood glue and a small screwdriver.
Watchmaker screw driver and PVA wood glue
Watchmaker screw driver and PVA wood glue
Simply dip the small blade in the PVA and dip it along the seems, let it flow into the joint and it will blend those joints nicely.
PVA glue as gap filler. Dries clear 1
PVA glue as gap filler. Dries clear 1
PVA glue as gap filler 2
PVA glue as gap filler 2
If you have any small holes you wish to fill it works for these too .
PVA glue as gap filler 3
PVA glue as gap filler 3
Until the next post peoples.........Thanks for watching

Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Updated 16-11-2019

Bit more done this week , on and off in the garage .

First job was to prime the hull with Automotice cellulose grey primer, this i feel is ok for lower less detailed parts and rear panels that will be weathered a lot . For upper Hull and Turret. I would choose white cellulose primer By this stage the original holes for the switches were filled with milliput and sanded smooth
HL Lower Hull primed. Old switch openings filled in
HL Lower Hull primed. Old switch openings filled in
The gearbox covers / firewall / suspension bars / RX18 mount and switch / ariel holders given a coat too.
Primed Aluminium parts
Primed Aluminium parts
Followed by a natty coat of Blue ......
Aluminium parts final top coat of blue cellulose
Aluminium parts final top coat of blue cellulose
Once the hull primer was dry ( My version of "dry" on cellulose primer is when you can no longer smell the paint) A coat of Dark Yellow Tamiya XF-60 Acrylic (Dunkelgelb) was airbrushed all over .
Lower hull with  Dark Yellow Tamiya XF-60 Acrylic
Lower hull with Dark Yellow Tamiya XF-60 Acrylic

It was time at this stage to start putting all the standard HL electrics back in . First was the new On/Off switch which is accessed from under the Drivers hatch.
New on/off switch now under driver hatch
New on/off switch now under driver hatch
As the switch is now further forward along the hull, the battery leads were extended by using these Automotive electrical connectors I had laying about from my motorcycle days. The leads were sited coming out the back on the battery box instead of the leads using the original top hole. The transmitter lead was also routed via this aperture
Extended battery leads to on/off switch
Extended battery leads to on/off switch
The firewall/gearbox top cover and inside of the hull gearbox area were lined with a layer of 5mm neoprean foam. Hopefully this will help cut down the noise from the gearboxes, the foam lined under the gearboxes and in front inner hull. The later was thinned out by cutting 15x15mm square section away as the forward most brass gear in the box was rubbing
Neoprean foam as sound deadening material
Neoprean foam as sound deadening material
Arrowed area where foam was removed
Arrowed area where foam was removed
The transmitter selector and volume adjuster were mounted under the new RX18 mounting plate .
Volume control dial left and transmitter selector right
Volume control dial left and transmitter selector right
The gearboxes were re-installed and the RX18 plate bolted into place. All the other leads from items such as the speaker, transmitter board and power supply were pulled through the apertures.
Gearboxs back in place and RX 18 plate and wiring
Gearboxs back in place and RX 18 plate and wiring
Update continued on next post due to 10 photo upload restrictions
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ska2d2
Private

Post by ska2d2 »

Looking good! Loving the white glue tip! :thumbup:
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Updated 16-11-2019
ska2d2 wrote:Looking good! Loving the white glue tip! :thumbup:
thanks for the thumbs up Ska, Im sure the white glue tip has been mentioned here before .

Looking forward to your next update on your Panzer III

Continued from previous post
Into the wife's sowing box and under the nose of the enemy we steal some sticky velcro and add this to the bottom of the unit and mounting plate .
Adhesive velcro used to mount RX18 unit
Adhesive velcro used to mount RX18 unit
The RX18 unit is then placed on top of the plate and the leads connected .
RX18 Unit installed and connected
RX18 Unit installed and connected
Receiver aerial in place with standard speaker in new location
Receiver aerial in place on support bracket
Receiver aerial in place on support bracket
The rear panel is given a coat of the same dark yellow XF-60 Acrylic paint .
Rear Hull now painted
Rear Hull now painted
This shows the original rear panel and how it was corrected to remove the join line .
Rear engine deck correction details looking inside the Hull.
Rear engine deck correction details looking inside the Hull.
And lastly the top gearbox cover was bolted in place ...... with a few decals added from a set I have never used.
Decals applied to gearbox cover
Decals applied to gearbox cover
Thats it for now. The Hull goes into storage awaiting the Camo and Weathering.
Relocated electrics
Relocated electrics
Completed lower Hull. Electronics moved, Gearbox covers added and rear panel corrected
Completed lower Hull. Electronics moved, Gearbox covers added and rear panel corrected

Next will be changes to the Top Hull area.....Until next post ...Tankon :thumbup:

One last thing, found this great little tip on reducing the slack of the HL metal gearboxes, hopefully this will also reduce noise along with the ally gearbox covers and sound deadening. Big thank you to jonger for posting the original link below. Hope you dont mind me adding to my thread jonger it is a brilliant tip for us all. See link to post : :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9841&hilit=shim+hl+gearbox

photo from jonger's thread on how to shim HL gearboxes.
photo from jonger's thread on how to shim HL gearboxes.
Prior to installing the HL Metal gearbox's, I followed jonger's thread and shimmed mine.
Shimmed gearbox with shims arrowed.
Shimmed gearbox with shims arrowed.
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Updated 16-11-2019
Ok Peoples ., it was time to tackle the Upper Hull modifications , So far the lower Hull were mainly reliability changes with a couple of Mid Production details such as C hook on rear & round rod track hanger ( PzAbt 101 Unit modification )

The Upper Hull will be mainly Mid production changes with a few corrections and detail additions. Opening hatches, correcting the Turret ring location, adding a travel lock, making changes to the engine upper deck layout to Mid-Production spec, opening up the closed Driver vision port.

The Upper Hull changes
First on the List was removing the "extra" aerial tube mounted on the ( looking from the rear ) left hand side. Why HL added this must have been one of their anti copy right measures. Reading this forum I have learnt that this is wrong and needed correcting as it was only on the opposite side the tube was mounted .
Incorrect duplicated aerial storage tube on left Hull ( viewed from rear )
Incorrect duplicated aerial storage tube on left Hull ( viewed from rear )
After using the Dremmel to remove most of the tube , the flat area's were carefully re-profiled using a fine file .
Edge reprofiled to flat after using dremmel to remove tube
Edge reprofiled to flat after using dremmel to remove tube
While re-profiling the tube location , I used the same file to score a groove into the original weld line ready for some milliput beading.
Hull Side and Top deck join made deeper for Milliput weld seam with sharp edge of file.
Hull Side and Top deck join made deeper for Milliput weld seam with sharp edge of file.
Next was removing the original early production Feifel air intake and brackets .
Feifel engine air intakes and brackets. These were discontinued between Sept and Dec 1943
Feifel engine air intakes and brackets. These were discontinued between Sept and Dec 1943
I find the best way to remove these glued on peg mounted details is to use a file and remove most of the peg showing by scraping / filing it off .
File used to scrape underside of lug
File used to scrape underside of lug
Then using a small pointed screwdriver , simply push on the head of the pin and it should "pop" out .
Small screwdriver used to press out lug
Small screwdriver used to press out lug
This Mid / Late production air intake was added, while the Feifel air intake was discontinued from the factory spec beginning September 1943, It seems that it took several month and many combinations of old and new before this style of intake was standard by the time Tiger 131 was produced in Nov / Dec 43. The missing engine lifting handles broken off a long time ago were added using good old paper clips !
N:B This Mid/Late Air intake was replaced later for more accurate scale replacement.
Mid-Production rear engine intake cowling added and engine access hatch handles
Mid-Production rear engine intake cowling added and engine access hatch handles
Next was removing the front Driver/ Gunner Glacia. This was done to make access for a Dremmel easier for removing the moulded on tools and opening the hatches on the hull as well as the Driver vision port. First I removed all traces of glue from these two lugs .
Use a file to remove glue from these areas when removing front glacia
Use a file to remove glue from these areas when removing front glacia
Then by gently pushing the panel away and teasing it with small screwdrivers , working from one end to the other it eventualy popped off. The corners seem to have a lot of glue in place, ease these away with extreme care !
Prise away gently !
Prise away gently !
Watch these corners for excess glue
Watch these corners for excess glue

Cont.........
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Updated 16-11-2019
The tools on the early production Tiger's were relocated on the Mid Production variant , also by adding a second C hook next to the Jack block, the Jack block itself was moved further back. The two dummy light sockets on the standard HL hull also need to be removed and replace with a more central one. So I need to remove all the tools from the surface, some are simply fixed by glued lugs and some are moulded in.
The grind begins
The grind begins
For removing the moulded on tools . I prefer to Dremmel off most of the tool leaving a millimeter or so left.
Using a Dremmel to remove moulded on tools
Using a Dremmel to remove moulded on tools
Then with a fine file I scrape / file off the rest until the file starts to leave tell tale scratches on the surface
Using a file to remove last of the moulding
Using a file to remove last of the moulding
One this happens I switch over to a small stone rubbing block that came with the Dremmel . This is used to "hone" the surface flat with water until with a wetted finger you can no longer feel anything other than a smooth surface .
Honing the surface flat with rubbing block
Honing the surface flat with rubbing block
Several hours of "honing " later this is the result. It is very controlled and requires almost no filling. The Moulded on "wooden" jacking block and the compartment vent have been removed by Dremmel.
Tools , Jack Block and vent removed.
Tools , Jack Block and vent removed.
The square area below the original jack block was patched with a styrene panel and will be filled with milliput
Styrene bonded from underneath
Styrene bonded from underneath

Opening up the Hatches
Now it was time to open the hatches, the original reccess is 28mm on my HL hull, this is also the sames width as the inner ring of the Asiatam/Taigan working hatches .
Hatch opening dimensions
Hatch opening dimensions
For this I dremmel out from inside almost all of the hatch until it left a ridge about 2mm from the original inner Hull reccess
Carefull how much you remove
Carefull how much you remove
Then I switched to a round back file and reduced this to be flush with the original reccess
Remove material until flush with upstand
Remove material until flush with upstand
Once this is complete, I was left with this part of the hatch left on the outside surface.
This upstand needs to be removed
This upstand needs to be removed
To be continued............
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”