1 Kompanie PzAbt 101 Tiger 131 Walter Hahn Project Diary

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
jonger
Lance Corporal

Re: 1 Kompanie PzAbt 101 Tiger 131 Walther Hahn Project Dia

Post by jonger »

Wildboar
Thats a good idea, you kept the ability to change the ariel if need be, I revisited some of the discussions on the board and apparently you could also increase the length of the cable from the receiver board to make up for the length you cut off and it doesn't make a difference, its total length (receiver board to tip of ariel) that matters it should be 330mm for the 27mhz transmitters.
Jonger
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

jonger wrote:Wildboar
Thats a good idea, you kept the ability to change the ariel if need be, I revisited some of the discussions on the board and apparently you could also increase the length of the cable from the receiver board to make up for the length you cut off and it doesn't make a difference, its total length (receiver board to tip of ariel) that matters it should be 330mm for the 27mhz transmitters.

Hey Jonger, You know that tense bit in the films ...does he cut the blue wire.....or the brown one ?? .

Glad you told me that, I was going to "trim" down the receiver wire to tidy up the internals !!! .....
So I think I will pinch one of the kids foam nerf gun tubes and wrap it around them !
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Updated 04-11-2019
I was looking at the Bundesarchiv photo site and came across this picture that I have seen in a few illustrations ,It is said to show a 101st PzAbt 3rd Battalion Tiger 311 on a training excercise at Beauvais France in May 1944. From another photo taken from a different angle it would appear to be a Mid production Tiger ( see second photo ). Is this location of the fire extinguisher a field modification or a factory fitting ?.
Beauvais France May 1944
Beauvais France May 1944
Field modification by unit ?
Field modification by unit ?
If pictures could talk ......

Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

Post by Red Devils »

You have an eye for detail,

After doing some reading and checking out other Tigers from both fronts, it seems that the SS-Pz.Abt 101 may have been the only unit to order such a field modification. I found two other pics from the 3rd Kompanie (Trum 314), there seems to be many variations to this mod. Tankers preference maybe.

One note I read speculated that they were positioned there to spray towards the cupola and other exit points on the turret or they were just there cause who wants to go back and fight an engine fire with your fire extinguisher positioned over the issue. Who knows, maybe someone with some more experince will chim in. Hope this helps...

Derek
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
First in the Field - Since 1914.
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Well spotted Red. I think that last Tiger was with Wittman on the day when he met his match...

Quite agree with the rather odd positioning of the standard fire extinguisher mount..!
Last edited by tanks_for_the_memory on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:42 am, edited 6 times in total.
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Updated 04-11-2019
Hey Red , thanks for the photo's, i must say If i wanted to grab a fire extinguisher, i'd rather open an escape hatch and reach for it that stick my face over an engne grill where the flame would be coming out .

Can you help me out with this dilema ?, Early Tigers as depicted on the Heng Long Hull have a "Bar" on the front of the Hull to carry a rack of spare track on the front , see pic below
Early Tiger with bar and step arrangement
Early Tiger with bar and step arrangement
A.jpg (66.71 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
This is Tiger 133 of 1 Komp PzAbt 101 passing through Morgny , It does not seem to have a Bar, I have to assume Tiger 131 had a simular way of holding spare track, do you know how its held ?
Tiger 133 Morgny France
Tiger 133 Morgny France
I am using Tigers 132 & 133 as reference as they bare remarkable close camo schemes , which makes me think if they were sprayed at the same time, they may have all arrived at the Battalion at the same time (looking at the clean lines and almost no battle damage)

I am working on the theory that they may have been 3 of the 10 tanks ,according to the Battalion diary in Wolfgang Schneider's book Tiger Combat II collected by a detail sent to MagdeBurg on the 3rd January 1944 which duly arrived at Mons Belgium on 9th January 1944.
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

Post by Red Devils »

Hey buddy,

Check out these pics and you will see your answer. I guess these boys were like all elite units, never happy with the way things were issued from the gov. As you can see in the pics, they have welded or the factory may have done it, a metal round bar across the front.

For the second pic, you can make out the bar behind the towing clevis.

This help you out brother???

Derek
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Hey Derek, thats Buddy , looks like i will be scratching around for a suitable size scale rod to hold the spare track links . Thanks once again Ace 8)

Gordo
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Updated 04-11-2019
This is the new location for the On/Off switch under the driver's hatch. The mounting bracket is slotted vertically so when i eventually dremmel out the hatch and mount an opening version, I can slide it up to optimum height.
Original on-off switch from under hull now on ally bracket located under driver hatch
Original on-off switch from under hull now on ally bracket located under driver hatch
This is the mounting plate for the RX18 unit , the volume switch ,transmitter selector. Made again from 2mm Ally plate, this will keep all the components in one area and more importantly up away from any water. The RX18 unit will be secured with velcro pads to the mounting plate.
New Ally Raised mounting plate for electronic components.
New Ally Raised mounting plate for electronic components.
Next time will be the firewall & track mounting bar for front hull ....

More soon ........
Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red Devils
Staff Sergeant

Post by Red Devils »

Hey Gordo,

Since your interested in the 101, check out this site. It's Russian but you can cut and paste into Google translate. Interesting stuff...

http://www.retrospicere.narod.ru/2-libe ... 001-01.htm

Derek

Return to “Heng Long Builds”