1 Kompanie PzAbt 101 Tiger 131 Walter Hahn Project Diary

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1 Kompanie PzAbt 101 Tiger 131 Walter Hahn Project Diary

Post by BarryC »

Wildboar44 wrote:
BarryC wrote:Fantastic I'm following along, I am enjoying your scratch build work! :clap:

Barry
Thank you Mr Barry, but I can assure you I have to have a few attempts ! :wave: . Thanks for stopping bye.
I do understand many, many of the details I've fabricated for my M1A1HA Abrams build have been made 2 or 3 maybe even 4 times on some of the more intricate pieces.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

HL Tiger 1 Turret Vision Port re-alignment
It is amazing how you can look at so many photographs and miss it every time. I had not noticed until very recently something that is probably common knowledge but it took me a while to notice it. The vision blocks on the Turret sides of a real Tiger 1 are not symmetrically mounted on opposing sides, the vision block on the left is located slightly more forward than its counterpart on the right. The HL version I have, has them directly opposite one another. This drawing below illustrated how the should be located.
Offset vision ports
Offset vision ports
So after doing a little bit of calculation and some guess work, I decided that this would mean moving the left vision block on my HL Turret by 3/4 of its own diameter toward the front.
Correction to HL Turret left vision block
Correction to HL Turret left vision block
I opted to pin drill the panel out as I wanted to keep the raised profile the vision block outer cover was located on. Then its was cut through using a sharp knife until the panel was removed.
Pin drill method to remove panel
Pin drill method to remove panel
Dot to dot !
Dot to dot !
Cut along the dotted line :)
Cut along the dotted line :)
Hey presto , just needs all edges filing flat.
Hey presto , just needs all edges filing flat.
1.0mm styrene backing panel added inside.
1.0mm styrene backing panel added inside.
Simply turn the panel around to complete re location
Simply turn the panel around to complete re location
The last job was to swop the metal vision ports purchased from Tank.Modellbau.De for the resin ones from the Attak Zimmerit kit. One thing I picked up from reading Sov's Tiger Build was David Byrden's advise that there were two width to the actual slot cut into the steel plug for viewing. The Early type has the slot running to the edges to the inner flange, the later type were slightly wider. The picture below is a pretty good comparison, as you can see the slot on the later model plug is wider.
Early vision plug left and later wider vision slot on right.
Early vision plug left and later wider vision slot on right.
So once the resin Attak version was bonded on it will be a case of filling gaps with Milliput once I have completed all the Turret modifications.
Re located vision port.
Re located vision port.

Thank you for viewing , next update is swopping out the loaders hatch frame and lid to a Tamiya replacement. :thumbup:

Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

Swopping the HL Turret Loaders Hatch Frame & Lid
I was going to title this part as "Correcting" the HL Loaders hatch. If fact I have argued to myself a few times to leave it alone!. It is the correct shape, the correct height and location for Early and Mid-Production versions (with a few tweak's).The only slight error is the HL version is a little too big, that's something that does not detract too much from the overall look and certainly does not jump out at you asking to be altered.

However I have become the victim of a little known affliction called "Sprue Seduction". You start off buying Tamiya 1/16 Static Tiger Sprue H for the correct Shape Turret bin for your HL conversion, (But) you don't get the Lid. Hmmm, so you buy Tamiya Tiger Sprue F for the Lid and then you realise from both H and F Sprue you have the 3-parts to assemble the correct offset Gun mantlet . So you get busy thinking how to make them fit, after all lets not waste good money by not using them!. So you then realise that on Sprue F is a Loaders Hatch Lid which when offered up to your HL Turret shows you how smaller the hatch should be, (But) you don't get the Hatch frame. So In for a penny, in for a pound you then buy Tamiya Tiger Sprue B which has the actual Top of the Turret roof containing the Frame. So now Tamiya Sprue B has an opening Early Tiger engine deck lid... See how it works ? Only Model Makers and Hamsters' understand why you run around that wheel :/
Tamiya Loaders Hatch compared to HL version
Tamiya Loaders Hatch compared to HL version
Ok so I committed to changing the Hatch & Lid and with the Parts from the Tamiya Sprue's I was hoping to fabricate internal supports and simply "graft" in the Tamiya Top into the HL Turret. This would not only have given me the correct Loaders Hatch & Lid but a correct height Commanders upstand for the Hachette Cupola. But NO, its not that simple !
Tamiya Turret Top
Tamiya Turret Top
You then understand that the real Tiger 1 Turret was not symmetrical, the sides of the Turret had a different profile for each side. The Tamiya Turret Top is a perfect replica of the profile while the HL Turret is symmetrical when it should not be !One further complication is the fact that you then discover the HL Turret is too long!
So any chance of grafting in the Turret Top goes out the window . Boo :(
Tamiya Top with correct profile to roof on Loaders side.
Tamiya Top with correct profile to roof on Loaders side.
HL Turret too long although both following correct angles on this side
HL Turret too long although both following correct angles on this side
So out with the tools and its cut and paste time. The first thing you need to do is carefully remove the original HL hinge as you don't get one with the Tamiya Sprues and the HL version will fit both.
Original HL Hinge for Loaders Lid needs retaining.
Original HL Hinge for Loaders Lid needs retaining.
Original Hatch removed with Dremel and files
Original Hatch removed with Dremel and files
Internal Collar also removed
Internal Collar also removed
Cutting out the Tamiya Hatch frame
Cutting out the Tamiya Hatch frame
By carefully matching the aperture and Tamiya Hatch base you acheive minimal filling.<br /> The underside was reinforced with 1.5mm styrene and then the aperture dremelled out.
By carefully matching the aperture and Tamiya Hatch base you acheive minimal filling.
The underside was reinforced with 1.5mm styrene and then the aperture dremelled out.
The last small job was to drill replica's of the small recesses around the Loaders frame as arrowed. These on the real Hatch held the Taper bolts that held the frame in place, only the splash guard upstand was welded to the hatch. The small circular feature is to replicate the external locking latch plate featured on some of the Mid-Production Loaders Hatches. The handle on the Tamiya Lid is the lifting handle from the Hachette Cupola which fitted a treat ( What Sprue contains the actual Tamiya handle I have no idea !) I was going to use a Brass 1.5mm wire but the Hachette Cupola handle whilst not to scale for its original application was perfect for this one. Once again I will fill the slight gap around the frame with Milliput once I have done all the other cutting and conversion work on the Turret.
Drill around the frame to replicate the recessed bolts and external locking plate on lid formed by small steel washer.
Drill around the frame to replicate the recessed bolts and external locking plate on lid formed by small steel washer.

Next update will be working out fitting the working Brass Turret Escape hatch and the Tamiya Turret Bin conversion.

Thanks for viewing, until next time :thumbup:

Last edited by Wildboar44 on Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Blimey, that's a masterclass and a half!

Great details on the build and in the eye.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

jimbo_wa wrote:Blimey, that's a masterclass and a half!

Great details on the build and in the eye. Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thank you for your kind comment Mr Jimbo, :thumbup: :wave:
DasPanzer
Corporal

Post by DasPanzer »

Wow this build is amazing!!!! Beautiful work!!!! Can’t wait to see the end results!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tanks

Henglong Tiger 1 Early Production
Henglong King Tiger in progress
Henglong Jagdpanther almost complete
Henglong Panzer 4 fresh out of box
Henglong Sherman almost complete
Taigen Tiger 1 Late Production custom build with ELMOD hopefully.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

DasPanzer wrote:Wow this build is amazing!!!! Beautiful work!!!! Can’t wait to see the end results!!!

Thank you Mr Das, I appreciate your support. I too looking forward to completion, it’s been nearly 6 years since it was started !.

Regards Gordon.
DasPanzer
Corporal

Post by DasPanzer »

Your welcome my friend !!!!! Now get to it lol!!!

My Tanks

Henglong Tiger 1 Early Production
Henglong King Tiger in progress
Henglong Jagdpanther almost complete
Henglong Panzer 4 fresh out of box
Henglong Sherman almost complete
Taigen Tiger 1 Late Production custom build with ELMOD hopefully.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”