tiger 1, my first build!

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
d170sam
Private

tiger 1, my first build!

Post by d170sam »

Hello all, after some advice and direction from people on here, i decided that because of the ammount of parts availiable at reasonable prices i would build a tiger 1, so here is the build so far:

asiatam lower hull from wdm

stripped down to its component parts, to remove all the blue tape covering the aluminium section, i also had to replace 1x suspension arm as the grub screw was stuck fast and ruined, again i got the spares from wdm

also pictured are my metal late patten wheels, idlers and drive wheels from wdm

metal tracks

cupola and MG, drive wheels and spare tracks for the side of the turret

asiatam 4:1 gearbox's and motors from wdm

wheels and motors fitted

tracks fitted and rear plate screwed down

so thats about it so far, il be ordering a asiatam metal upper hull (IR version) at the end of the weeks plus a couple of other detail parts (photo etched grills, metal tow ropes, mato metal rear mud guards) its only loosly put together at present, so it can be torn down easily ready for painting, to do this im going to buy an airbrush and give it go, im strongly leaning towards a white and black tiger stripe camo style, any comments welcome but go easy on me, its my first time! :)
mustclime
Sergeant

Re: tiger 1, my first build!

Post by mustclime »

Looking great sofar.......fyi, the late production tigers did not have those canister air cleaners at the back.
d170sam
Private

Post by d170sam »

I just noticed that the pic I have posted have all been cut down, so if your wondering why the pics are a bit odd!

As for the air cleaners, I realise that some things are early model or late model specific, but as far as I can see through other projects, pics and posts pretty much anything goes?! Plus I like them lol
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

d170sam wrote:I just noticed that the pic I have posted have all been cut down, so if your wondering why the pics are a bit odd!
They get cut off if your screen isn't big enough to display the whole image to stop the picture from overlapping with the sites layout. Right Click and View Image(depending on the browser) works good though :D
d170sam
Private

Post by d170sam »

Picked up my Tigen 2.4ghz control kit today, I've mounted the speaker but I can't see how to mount the control unit, does anyone have any ideas/pics?

Many thanks

Sam
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

If you are going to use the air cleaners a little trick for the hoses that attach them is to glue some magnets into the tubes and the connectors, when you go to reinstall the top the hoses will connect them selfs.
d170sam
Private

Post by d170sam »

That's a very helpful suggestion, thank you very much, I also just ordered my taigen upper metal hull, and some photo etch debris screens, so il get some pics up when they arrive!
cd233u
Recruit

Post by cd233u »

who are wdm?
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

d170sam
Private

Post by d170sam »

hello all, sorry no updates for a while, been a little busy with the build here are some new pics

i now have almost everything i need to compleate the tank, tigen upper hull arrived, i have most of the internal electrical parts, im still waiting for a Dragon ATRC chip board to turn up so i can disable the track recoil when its finished, here are the first parts set out for a red oxide under coat, i used halfords plastic red oxide primer for the plastic bits and the same colour metal primer for the metal bits so i would have a even base to start on

photoetched grills added to rear hull

top coat of matt white applied, im going with a winter type camo, for this im just using rattle cans at the mo, i have a cheap air brush for the later stages

more parts sprayed up

rear deck

i had a bit of a disaster with the camo, i spent ages masking the hull with normal masking tape, then i laid down some panzer grey through my air brush, unfortunately it was my first time using it and the paint mix was a little too watered down, so some of the paint seeped under the masking tape, i recovered it and the colour looked good, then i unmasked it all and found the paint leaks and soak through the masking tape, i initialy thought it was a total wreck and i might have the remove all the paint and start again, however i came up with the idea of using some chlorhexadine wipes (i work in an A+E dept and we use then for cleaning patients skin before we canulate/take blood from them) anyway it took of the excess panzer grey paint perfectly and didnt disturb the white base coat, it also gave a nice blended effect round the edges of the camo lines which was an incidental finding but im really happy with

the chlorhexadine wipes also gave a worn effect to raised edges, il go over them again later with a lightened panzer grey dry brushing

i also sprayed the tracks matt black then gave them a rub over with the wipes which gave them a worn look also, the wiped track is on the left and un-wiped on the right

so thats about it for now, im finding the whole project a lot of fun, as its a brand new experience for me, will get some more work done in the next week so il update some more pics, the next stage is gonna be getting some brushed up brown oil pastels to add round the edges, then il air brush over some floor polish, then il add decals, give it an oil wash then paint the details like the MG and tools, then a matt varnish, any comments and suggestions welcome, this is all a first for me so any help would be much appreciated, i have tried to research and read up as much as i can, but any pro-builders/painters id love to here from please, anyway, thnaks for reading

sam
Last edited by d170sam on Mon May 26, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”