Sov's Tiger Build

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Sov's Tiger Build

Post by jarndice »

I first found my true passion (Sorry Jan) in the service when I learnt to ride a BSA M20,
Don't you just love the sophisticated suspension and the ease with which you just flick the Bike on to its stand :lolno:
To someone whose only prior experience on two wheels was a pedal cycle, the Beezer was a dream although not Super that came later.
Oh Sov my lady is going to have trouble keeping me home this weekend,
I suspect the cravings will return and I shall be riding the Bandit around the lanes of Bucks, Herts and Beds.
I shall of course blame you. :D
You have a machine that never rewarded your knuckles for carrying out the most basic maintenance, :thumbup:
At the time it was a big bike now they really are amazingly small. :think:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Would love to see a pic of your ride, and any riding/service stories would be welcome here! What years did you ride in the service? I know my bike (1940) wasn't struck from the registrar until 1970, had a very long life in military use.
I could go on and on about how the bike amazes me.

Getting a warm up with the hobby stuff.

Cleaned off my bench, it was a disaster with stuff piled everywhere before.

Starting back up, simple and small. So many parts are covered with dirt and basement dust they need a cleaning. Anyone with a "damp" basement knows the muck that covers things. These wheels were dirty and primer was getting chipped. I cleaned up the contact areas with a dremel + wire wheel to remove paint overspray. Hot soapy water wash and reassembled them with some WD40 on a junky paint brush to get the pieces to slide together again. I'll give them a light primer spray again to cover chips.

Whole shot of the desk with Tiger stuff unpacked. Got a lot of stuff to go through and I need to begin making sense of it all. Many more parts need cleaning and I need to figure out my direction. :haha:

I've been doing some other small hobby stuff in the last few years as well.
Here is that Gundam/Mobile suit model finished :
...and some mini figure painting I was learning.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

So nice to see it "alive". Fabulous work with the miniatures and figure
Tanks alot.... :wave:
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

I've had this gorgeous Aber muzzle break for a long time and it was one of my favorite parts. About time I finally opened it up and made some progress with it. Started with getting it to fit on the barrel I have. Had to file/sand down the barrel and take some off the tip to get it to fit.

Comparing the Heng Long/Taigen and the Aber. Well, what a difference to the muzzle I had! This Aber is an early/mid style muzzle. My older muzzle looks like a late style one, not appropriate for this Tiger of mine. It may be hard to make out but this muzzle even has some rifling down the tube!

Both solder and glue are holding this mostly completed muzzle on the barrel. I did plenty of high grit sanding to smooth out and erase some lines in the model where there shouldn't be any.

I really disliked the muzzle "bolt" holder that came with the Aber kit, 3d items don't work well often when made from flat brass sheet. (For lack of knowledge of what this part is called, it secures the muzzle on the end of the barrel.) So I scratch built my own. Some plastic card carefully sanded and drilled with a tiny scale bolt inserted looks pretty good.

Cleaned and polished. On to the next thing now.

:wave:
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Another small update.... Nothing exciting.

I washed my hull pieces, all the basement grime off. Washed my gearboxes and reinstalled the motors on them as well.

I wanted to get the gear boxes installed into the hull before putting on any delicate pieces since it was a "heavy duty" job. Turns out nothing fit right. I had to drill bigger holes in my sprockets, install the shaft bearings I had, mark holes for them, remove everything, drill holes, put bearings back on and then gearboxes back in. Took my awhile but progress is progress. Bearings were a perfect fit (about the only thing that fit), a little light oil and a small tac hammer and everything fit well with no binding. Throughout the process I fit the sprockets and track multiple times to make sure everything was aligned the way I wanted before tightening it all down. Was a bit tricky to get the gearbox drive shafts back through the bearings after they were mounted but nothing I struggled with too much. I went over some lines with super glue again and sanded them to cover them up a bit.

Next I plan to make a "waterproof" interior bin for all the electronics parts. Not planning to submerge this vehicle but some light mud, snow and water running I will eventually get to. Will also make some gearbox shields at the same time.

Also Want to get the turret interior functions sorted too, soon. Going to scratch build one I think, rather than use the Heng Long parts I have. I have two micro servos that'll serve the job. Servo controlled recoil and elevation/depression sure looks nice.

My brain has certainly shifted back into tank mode. :haha:

I'm pondering my electronic choices now as well. I have what I need already, a clark t22 board. In the years that have passed since I see some potential improvements in the electronics department. Not sure I'll stick with the Clark now or swap my plan to an Elmod pro. Will be researching.

Lastly, I spoke with our friend David again. Always a pleasure to gain knowledge from the Tiger master. :)

wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

So glad to see you back on the case with this build, though if I had an M20 to restore I know which one I would choose! :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

It's cold in CT, really cold! My poor hands couldn't deal with 70+ year old burred bolts in near freezing weather. The BSA might get grouchy if I wake it's winter sleep. :haha:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

SovereignZuul wrote:It's cold in CT, really cold! My poor hands couldn't deal with 70+ year old burred bolts in near freezing weather. The BSA might get grouchy if I wake it's winter sleep. :haha:
Mr Zuul whereabouts are you in this state they call CT? I think I reside there tooImage:think:

Nice to have finally find someone nearby....

I promise I won't show up unannounced and check out your Tiger I.

Yes last weekend I was working outside on some water lines and my machine had icicles hanging from the hoses and levers.

Carl
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Enfield, like the rifle or (royal) motorcycle. :wave:

What part of the state are you from? :)

- Paul
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

SovereignZuul wrote:Enfield, like the rifle or (royal) motorcycle. :wave:

What part of the state are you from? :)

- Paul
Hello PaulImageI am located in Middlebury. Keep up the great work with your Tiger I buildImage

Return to “Heng Long Builds”