Sov's Tiger Build

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Sov's Tiger Build

Post by PainlessWolf »

Sov,
The sanding and filler look fine. That is a good thing to note about that deck. Thanks for being the Test Hamster. Super sweet on the Cupola as well.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Thanks painless, I went to work on the other side too tonight. :)

I've got another question for you guys. Was the MG42 ever used on the commander's cupola mount or only the MG34? As it seems it was very rare to see an MG34 on the AA mount but I haven't seen any MG42's used yet and I've been looking.
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

I have not seen an MG42 used as the AA MG. They seem to be MG34s with the armoured barrel that are used elsewhere in Panzers. There has been some recent discussion on these in TFTM Tiger thread:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8350&start=140
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Sov,
I have used the MG42 in my King Tiger and Panther builds but only because I thought it looked more menacing. ;o) As Scalawag noted, the MG34 is probably the more accurate of the two. I need to get some of those scale gurt sacks for the MG34 now beginning with the 'Palace' build.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

The Gurtsacks from AFV modeller are exceptional Painless. As well as the set of 4 open ones, they also have a set of 32 closed ones. great detail on them. :thumbup:

I generally use the Schumo MG34 and AA mount, again superb detail. Heike has some that look very good too so I might try one of those the next time I need one.

http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kata ... :2483.html

http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kata ... :2066.html

http://modellbaugasse.de/shop/article_3 ... id%3D31%26

http://modellbaugasse.de/shop/article_3 ... id%3D30%26

Heike Also does the alternative Pzr III/IV AA mount.

http://modellbaugasse.de/shop/article_5 ... id%3D54%26
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Just to say that if you do order from Heike, to complete the transaction I find it works using German rather than English, nice site though. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Wow, the stuff on AFV Modeller is great! However some of what I want (need!) is out of stock.

I like the MG42 look too, that's why I was looking for justification in using one! Plus I already have a good 1:16 model of one. Not sure if I'll decide to do it for looks or use the 34 for accuracy yet.

Axel's shop got back to me, so I can complete my order with them.

At this point I've been ordering higher quality parts to replace some of the "good" quality stuff I already bought. I'm going to have many leftovers when I'm complete with this tank.

Carsten Jansen had some amazingly detailed parts, an order is shipping from this site as well.
http://www.tank-modellbau.de/
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

It arrived! Picked up some Mr. Surfacer as well from my local shop. Also got some neodymium magnets for the hull as well. Wow they are strong!

I got both sides of track guard cut and sanded off. Also applied lots of filler used to cover the small gaps and bumps and hollow places where the mold didn't quite fill the surface of the hull. Popped off the front armor face as well for similar treatment, and future mods.

Giving the Solder Paint a try.... WOW! It's super easy to use, the size of that little piece I soldered is tiny and it's stronger than glue and not a mess like the regular solder use would be. This changes everything!

I didn't like the metal tools, they were messy in appearance, not the best of detail. However, they made a great place to start a scratch built tool from!

Could not be happier! The axe came out great! I drilled holes and used an exacto to hollow out the head for the wooden handle to pass through. A 1:16th size soldier could easily use this axe to bring down a sapling now! :haha:

All my wooden handle tools will receive similar treatment. I wonder what color to stain the wood though? I'm going to get some photos and see what color wood was used in Germany at the time. I *might* change the shape of the axe head slightly after I do more research to see the exact shape, it may be too big but appears to fit into the photo etch bracket I have for it perfectly right now.

In other news I've got several orders from different shops on the way. I'm taking the details (and budget) of this model to the limits now. I've officially surpassed the $1,000 mark on spending for the Tiger. Maybe I should have just bought a Tamiya to begin with! :haha:

Can't wait to show off some of the surprises I've got in store, including some fresh tricks.

I'll be away on vacation next week so expect updates to cease while I'm gone. I should come home to a mess of boxes with all my parts though!

All that remains on my shopping list is a 1:16th machine gun belt and a controller board. I've got a Turnigy 9x and receiver for it already but I haven't been able to learn much about all the options of controller board yet. I'm all ears for a suggestion if you wish to share!

Thanks for reading!

Edit: Bonus pic, here's the axe head hollowed out as well as the handle not fully finished and you can see my new magnets in that clear tube.

SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Lord, two updates in one night. I'm really having a lot of fun doing the model as much as I can.

More tools. You can see the dowel I started with, the amount of sanding and shaping and the original metal tool.

...and the difference!

The red arrow is pointing to a piece of brass that I "nailed" in that spot for greater detail and authenticity. Hammers are built this way, it's what keeps the steel on the handle.

Working on the brass some more. The front fenders have little bumps that are supposed to be faux rivets. Why bother? I cut those off and used real rivets! I've had these sitting in my parts for a long time, glad I finally have a use for them! scalehardware.com sells them, I recommend that site strongly!

I really am in love with the solder paint.

Some results.

I'm spreading the work around a lot. Chipping away at everything at once. No more updates tonight, I swear!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I smiled when I saw your front fenders, I bought the VOYAGER set and discarded the pe surround instead cut 1mm plasticard as a backing to the fender and side plate, glued it in place then pin vised all the rivet holes, and using small dress making pins which I pushed through and super-glued in place,snipping off the tails when the glue was dry, these look exactly like the rivets in the prototype, I also did not use the hinges provided but went on-line to a dolls house accessory store for hinges and slide bolts, as to the neodymiun magnets, they are great, indeed if you fit metal access doors to a Panzer 4 they are far and away the best method of holding body to hull. But I love your build and I think we all echo you, when you talk of spending $1000 on a HENG LONG/TAIGEN/TORRO Tiger1, proof that for a lot of us, it is the satisfaction in the build, rather than buying prebuilt perfection. :clap: Have a great holiday, shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”