Sov's Tiger Build

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Re: Sov's Tiger Build

Post by SovereignZuul »

Woops, yeah, my life is project rich. As it stands I ended up selling a huge amount of my model kits and other stuff just to reduce.

Working on some spaceship LED/Fiber optic stuff right now and hopefully back to the Tiger soon. I really gotta finish this so I can enjoy driving it around.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

No rush, take your time.... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

:haha: :haha: :haha:

The good takeaway from all this is hopefully my hobby skills have improved since I last touched the Tiger and I've got a few more products to help finish it.
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Huh, apparently I own an RC tank? Found this going through my stuff. (Realistically a bunch of it's parts never left my hobby bench, just got buried.) Weird to think I started this thing almost a decade ago. How I've changed over the years while this project sadly has not. In any case, back to work. Been assembling what was done and digging out old parts and building. Sorry to say the Asiatam/Taigen/Torro suspension knuckles are weak metal. A few have broken just from light handling or storage. Ordered replacements, parts are hard to find these days it seems. That plus spare tire rubbers, I have a feeling once those degrade they'll be unobtainable in the future. First time I've ever fit the tracks and wheels. Track is tight, it's a miracle it fit. Even at minimum tension it's taught. Doesn't look like I can get any spare links for this set of tracks any more. I'm not sure if I have any but could use a spare link to extend it just a tad longer but it might run this way.

Up soon: Fit front fenders, engine hatch grates, engine hatch latches, tow cable brackets.

Hope everyone has been doing well! :wave:

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hello Mr. Zuul! I was surprised and pleased to learn that you are unearthing this fine Tiger project, for it's well worthwhile. (Back when you left off, I was on an Radio Controlled tank forum in Australia. Why Australia when I have been in Wisconsin for forty years? Well, unh, I haven't the slightest idea.) Please keep those photos coming.
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Hello Mr. Zuul! I was surprised and pleased to learn that you are unearthing this fine Tiger project, for it's well worthwhile. (Back when you left off, I was on an Radio Controlled tank forum in Australia. Why Australia when I have been in Wisconsin for forty years? Well, unh, I haven't the slightest idea. Please keep those photos coming.
There's some cool kids down here Mr Herr Proff !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

SovereignZuul wrote:Huh, apparently I own an RC tank? Found this going through my stuff. (Realistically a bunch of it's parts never left my hobby bench, just got buried.) Weird to think I started this thing almost a decade ago. How I've changed over the years while this project sadly has not. In any case, back to work. Been assembling what was done and digging out old parts and building. Sorry to say the Asiatam/Taigen/Torro suspension knuckles are weak metal. A few have broken just from light handling or storage. Ordered replacements, parts are hard to find these days it seems. That plus spare tire rubbers, I have a feeling once those degrade they'll be unobtainable in the future. First time I've ever fit the tracks and wheels. Track is tight, it's a miracle it fit. Even at minimum tension it's taught. Doesn't look like I can get any spare links for this set of tracks any more. I'm not sure if I have any but could use a spare link to extend it just a tad longer but it might run this way.

Up soon: Fit front fenders, engine hatch grates, engine hatch latches, tow cable brackets.

Hope everyone has been doing well! :wave:

Having you pop back in is a real thrill Mr Zuul .
This is an epic build and it would have been a shame to have it join the ranks of "The Unfinished"
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Appreciate the return welcome folks!

Plowing right ahead, just slowly. Got my mesh screens fitted, not a perfect fit, they are a tad large (or more likely the tank isn't perfect spec scale). Did a little dremel grinding on the four to get a flush fit. Then fitted the missing engine hatch hooks, modified like I did to the other one years ago in this thread for a more tight fit and less wiggle on the hook. Next up was the amazing Schumo tow cable brackets. One of my favorite bits I've obtained for this tank. This took time to get a proper fit, mostly due to the tow cables. The Aber cables I made years ago look as good as ever but they were very frustrating to work with. The steel cable might as well be industrial grade and very hard to bend into shape, very high elasticity. They are secure now after much wrestling! Left the center brackets loose for now as I've got to put the gun cleaning rods in place still.

In regards to those gun cleaning rods. I'm going to scratch build fresh ones and cannibalize the ones I made many years ago for the hardware. I have a good feeling about this and a plan....

Also swapped my idler wheel for a smaller one. Track works much better with the smaller idler and I can properly tension the whole thing. I'm very rusty with my Tiger knowledge. I can't recall a few things that I'll list below...

My weird mid production with the late cupola and no zimmerit. (July '43?)

Should it have the large or small rear track idler?

Should it have a pistol port and what style?

I've got to study up again, it's late, tired and I feel like I have more things to clarify.

See ya next time!

Images!

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"[A]mazing Schumo tow cable brackets": you got that right! I have an ample stock of metal tow cables, mostly because they are so stiff I don't use them. For me, too, it's easier to detail paint and weather the plastic ones. But the brackets are not even close to a finely detail as on your Tiger I.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Great to see this super build back underway. It's also very comforting to know I'm not the only one on this forum who likes to build things at a steady pace :haha:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”