Tiger 1, me gun has broke!

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
British
Recruit

Tiger 1, me gun has broke!

Post by British »

Hi guys,
           Sorry in a real rush just got in from work, hope this is the right section? The gun on my tiger has stopped working I think maybe it was because a mate of mine was heavy handed with it, the other day as we put a track back on it!

Basically, the turret still rotates but the gun won't go up nor down and the bb gun won't fire! Before I take it apart I was wondering if you lads might know why it has stopped or point me towards the likely suspects?

It is the S&S one, and still makes the correct noise when you try and move the gun with a bit of a crackle mind! If there is anything else I should tell you let me know, hopefully I will get time this weekend to look at her.

Many Thanks,

Sorry for the boring subject to, but I know you guys know your stuff!

Cheers, Ollie
Last edited by British on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Tiger 1, me gun has broke!

Post by Woz »

Sounds like a broken wire. Open it up and look for any lose wires. Also check the transmitter, sometimes the contacts get bent.
FireflyKeith

Post by FireflyKeith »

Like Woz said i bet its a broken wire, the Heng Long soldering is probably the worse i have ever seen ::)
British
Recruit

Post by British »

Ideal thanks lads, will have a gander when I get time.

Thanks again
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

word of wisdom takea  pic of it as you open the turret as the wiring hen long use tends to change and ive seen a million combinations
and not all the wiring colours correspond  ;) ;D

let us now how you get on and give us a shout if needed  ;) ;D ;D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Right, there are only three wires that you need to look at.

On the 8 pin plug start at the end with the +/- turret rotation motor wires, these are usually black and red.

The next three are:

Negative for Barrel Up/Down
Negative for Airsoft
Common Positive for both Barrel motor and airsoft.

Ignore the other wires 6,7,8 as they are lights, machine gun etc and do not affect your problem.

Ok, assuming that the three wires 3,4,5 are still connected to the 8 pin socket:
Trace them up to the small square pcb.
They should all be soldered to one side of that board.
On the other side of the board are another three wires that are soldered on. HL sometimes uses different colours between the two sides, but what is important is that they are all soldered on.

I am guessing that the common positive is loose as you have lost both your airsoft and barrel motor functions.

Ok, assuming that the 3 wires from the 8 pin plug are soldered to the square pcb, and that the 3 wires the other side of the pcb are soldered on:
One wire goes to the barrel motor. This is the negative.
One wire goes to the airsoft. This is the negative.
One wire goes to the airsoft and then on to the barrel motor. This is a common positive that feeds one or the other depending on which tx control has been selected.

If the soldered connection described above are all ok, then you will have to take your turret apart.
Release the 8 pin socket from the hull (2 screws)
Release the square pcb (1 screw)
Release the turret ring (3 screws)
Release the top half of the turret (5 screws)

Now:
Check that there is a positive and a negative wire soldered onto the airsoft.
Check that there is a positive and a negative wire soldered onto the barrel motor.

The airsoft is now loose so is an easy fix.
or
Release the barrel motor (3 screws)

To Reassemble:
(Easier if turret is upside down).
Reinstall the barrel motor. (3 screws - locate motor housing on the pegs)
Thread all of the turret wires through the centre of the turret bottom.
Thread all of the turret wires through the centre of the orange ring.
(Do not thread the turret motor wires through it).
Tape the spring to the underside of the turret top so that it stays in place.
Locate the hook on the back of the airsoft onto the orange cam on the barrel motor.
Locate the barrel pivot lugs onto the pivot mounts in the top half of the turret.
Locate the end of the spring into the recess on top of the airsoft and hold it all in place while you..
Locate the bottom of the turret in place and hold it down.
Screw the bottom half of the turret in place (5 screws).
Locate the orange ring in place with the hull between the turret and the ring, and the teeth engaged in the turret motor.
Screw the orange ring in place (3 screws).
Locate the square pcb (1 screw)
Locate the 8 pin socket (2 screws)
Plug the 8 pin plug into the 8 pin socket.

It should all work.
If it doesn't:

Check you didn't pull any wires off during reassembly.
Ensure that tx is turned on before tank.

I wrote all this from memory without even looking at my tank! Sad or what?? lol

Any questions just shout.

Cheers

Rob G
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
BIGMIG

Post by BIGMIG »

Rob you are a walking memory bank--- ;D ;D

Sounds like all the basses are covered and you have a mutipal situation there.But just a reminder for the gun fire for the gig gun,there is also a switch under the hatch that could have also been turned off.This does not affect anything other than the gun firing.Hope its just something simple for you to find and correct.

BIGMIG  ;) ;)
British
Recruit

Post by British »

Wicked thanks guys, great help. Rob mate your a legend thanks for the time, it must of taken ages to type that up!

I found the problem, one of the wires has snapped on the pcb (Nice one Rob)! I am yet to re-solder it as have no time (as always) now but I am 99% sure that is the only problem, the wires from the up/down part of the turret seem to be a bit short so will probably replace them to save the same happening again.

Oh one question, where does one get replacement black exhaust pipe? I cut them on mine, as they were starting to get on my tits!

Thanks again guys,

All the best, Ollie :)
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BREL »

British wrote:

Oh one question, where does one get replacement black exhaust pipe? I cut them on mine, as they were starting to get on my tits!

All the best, Ollie :)
Ollie,

try this stuff from maplins

buy the bigger diameter and shrink it down to the size you want. there is a chart at the bottom of the page which tells you the size after shrinkage

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... 4&doy=20m1
Last edited by BREL on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”