Mariya Oktyabrskaya & the Fighting Girlfriend

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Re: Mariya Oktyabrskaya & the Fighting Girlfriend

Post by stu_the_flat »

Amazing Jee. I think you might have just found the technique I am needing! :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The second pic was Mariya. Copy/paste works quite well with Google's Russian translator, I found, when I had a look at this website:
https://warheroes.ru/hero/hero.asp?Hero_id=358

If you use Firefox, the Google translate button gives the option of an English version. No pic of the tank, though- not on this site anyway, only her grave and memorial
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

This is a still from the video. According to the comments below, it is called something like 'Fighting Girlfriend', but whether it's actually the one she used, who knows?

One of the comments was interesting:
"...The "Fighting girlfriend"! - straight out of google translation engine. Only "?????? ???????" doesn't translate like that. At that time in USSR "girlfriends" we the women who lived in criminal world. No way, a tank was named "girlfriend". Female friend would not be equal to girlfriend in that country in that time! Both words are derivative from it roots - ??? (combat or battle in case of war vs fight (sport)) and ???? (friend). And it means "Battle friend" only in its female form. If the person was a man the tank would be named "?????? ????". The reason why they made it standout naming it ... well.. "?????? ???????" is because all other tankers are male and battle friends by default. And to signify and identify this tank with female being involved in its operation, they named it as such...."
The Fighting Girlfriend T34/76
The Fighting Girlfriend T34/76
(Click on Pic to ENLARGE it). Hope this is of some use, Stu.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

While looking for info on the net, I read that there would not have been a single tank? but 4 who would have carried this name ??
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... 96?l=frenc
below 4th photo, after that does not know more than what writes
Quant au char, sachez qu'il n'y avait pas un seul “Boyevaya Podruga”, il y eut en fait quatre chars ainsi nommés, chacun prenant la relève après que le précédent eut été détruit. On ne sait pas ce qui est arrivé au dernier char.
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

That is interesting. They say there were 4 they were named after the previous one was knocked out apparently the 2nd went under repair and the 3rd given in it's place and the fate of the last one is unknown. I am wondering if any of the crew members survived and transferred to the other renamed tank. I somehow think it is unlikely but it's a nicer thought.

To answer an earlier question one of the videos recons a T34 would have cost about 150k so the 54k would have needs some else to sign a check.

I've found the names of the other tank crew.
Commander Piotr Chebotko, gunner Guennádiy Yaskó and radio operator Mikhail Galkin. They were attached to the 2nd Battalion of the 26th Brigade of the 2nd Tank Corps of the Soviet Guard,

Hopefully I'll be able to find out what happened to them.

https://www.labrujulaverde.com/en/2020/ ... nds-death/
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

A captivating build of a worthy subject, Stu. I look forward to seeing how you manage the camera gimbal in the tight confines of the T-34 hull, but it's going to be great with a partial interior.
43rdRecceReg wrote:I just wonder whether 50,000 roubles would have actually bought a tank (or what it cost, per unit, to throw one together)
I think Zaloga wrote that the unit cost of the T-34 halved after Barbarossa due to improvements in production and simplification of design. Maybe buying a tank is like buying a house, you don't need to have everything upfront, just a sizeable deposit! :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Here is a pic of a JS2 that is named after the line of Fighting Girlfriend machines.
You can make out the slogan on the rear of the turret.
Attachments
021.94lt8v8rza4gkggkoksc4g4wc.ejcuplo1l0oo0sk8c40s8osc4.th.jpeg
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

I thought it would be nice to weather this and the KV-1 together so they looked similar. (Also the lack of fitting tracks has stopped the other project)

So I am starting on this one. Space is the main issue here. So I have just been clearing out and trying different layouts. I've opted for this. Control board sitting on the battery and the speaker is in-between the gear box. It's one of the early Heng long ones and sounds terrible.

I've cut a hole and plan to drop the camera down through the open hatch. This means turning the turret will alter the cameras view. It will also allow me to keep the Bluetooth dongle attached so I am not filming blind.

Not sure where the power switch is going to go or how this is getting wired yet. Or how the camera is going to be secured to the turret.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If the Tank I have received has a battery box I remove it and level the floor with epoxy resin,
Once I have a flat floor I glue a sheet of "Velcro" to it and upon the inside of both sides of the hull,
I am now able to utilise every available centimetre of the inside of the hull and whilst everything I install can be moved when I wish it will not move accidently,
A battery attached to the velcro on the side wall of the hull releases a lot of space that is otherwise wasted.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”