Heng Long Sherman M4A1 (75)

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-vamping you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.

Postby Estnische » Thu May 14, 2020 10:36 am

Likewise I am waiting for small hatches from Ludwig's, which will stall my front hull changes. Must be patient with small inconveniences when so much is at risk.

At this rate I will have to start another project before this one is done... 8O
Estnische
Sergeant

Postby Exhibitedbrute » Thu May 14, 2020 12:02 pm

I have some other projects I could weather and I still have that is 3 to build but it waiting for the right weather to paint aswell

Exhibitedbrute
Sergeant

Postby Exhibitedbrute » Thu May 14, 2020 4:27 pm

How are you planning on doing your exhausts and engine doors

Exhibitedbrute
Sergeant

Postby tankme » Thu May 14, 2020 7:17 pm

I'm also waiting on some resin stuff from Christian...guess I should be patient... :)

tankme
Lance Corporal

Postby Exhibitedbrute » Thu May 14, 2020 9:30 pm

tankme wrote:I'm also waiting on some resin stuff from Christian...guess I should be patient... :)

Mine has been 3 weeks up to now but I have had an email saying it will be posted this week. From what I understand the lock down in Germany has made it difficult to get the supplies to make them for both Ludwig and his suppliers plus the postage delays in Germany itself. Then once they have got through all of that we then have our own lockdown issues for them to contend with

Exhibitedbrute
Sergeant

Postby Estnische » Fri May 15, 2020 1:58 am

Exhibitedbrute wrote:How are you planning on doing your exhausts and engine doors

Funny you should ask, as that's my current work. I'll have them finished in a few days, so I'll post it up then. It's a bit ugly, as I tried to utilise existing parts, but once the upper hull is in place it should look like the real thing.
Estnische
Sergeant

Postby Exhibitedbrute » Fri May 15, 2020 9:31 am

I decided to file off the existing door on mine and use a bit of plasticard and dolls house hinges. Granted they don’t function but they look ok and as you say once the top and air filters are on it will look better

Exhibitedbrute
Sergeant

Postby Estnische » Sun May 17, 2020 4:27 am

So here is the rear end. As Exhibitedbrute did, I ground off the Heng Long single door and replaced it with flat plasticard. I had considered making the doors functional, but there is no need as the upper hull engine door opens for access to switches etc. I also ground off the idler mounts and installed Mato adjustable versions. The doors are trimmed with a brass cover strip, brass bolt heads, a metal door handle and plastic hinges from an old PzIII upper hull.

The side protection plates were going to be easily broken off so I salvaged some brackets to support them at the top. You may recall that the functional exhaust outlets that came with the M4 were both right-sided, and they needed to be relocated upwards. I rebuilt them as a left and right sided pair, and moved them so that only the tails will show when the upper hull is on.
I wasn’t sure about the towing hitch provided by Heng Long, but looking at old photos it seems to be authentic enough.

Along side this work I was detailing my 3D printed air cleaners. I bought some cheap dangly ear rings to provide the ring-ended bolts and the rest is plasticard trim. The struts of the side plate supports get in the way of mounting them correctly, so I cut some recesses into the air cleaners.

With the upper hull in place it looks the part. Even with the recess cut-in, I am not entirely happy with the location of the air cleaners. They are currently held in place with blu-tack, so I will address that when I paint them.

Without delivery of my small hull hatches, I might be moving on to the turret next. I found this photo of a Sherman parking lot - I’m guessing it is at the end of the war in Europe. This M4A1 spec is a handy find as its configuration is where I want to head. It is a small hatch M4A1, with welded hull applique, a travel lock, track extensions, split commander’s hatch and cast-in turret cheek armour.

Estnische
Sergeant

Postby Exhibitedbrute » Fri May 22, 2020 10:23 pm

This is coming along nicely. I never thought about those rear plates till I saw yours

Exhibitedbrute
Sergeant

Postby Exhibitedbrute » Sat May 23, 2020 5:22 pm

May I trouble you for you air cleaner file? I have some from shapeways for this build but with future plans for another a4 and the hybrid firefly I would sooner have my dad print some rather than needlessly throw money at stuff from shapeways

Exhibitedbrute
Sergeant

Postby Estnische » Sat May 23, 2020 10:54 pm

Sure. I'm away from home for a few weeks, so it may take a while. Send me a pm with your email.
Estnische
Sergeant

Postby Exhibitedbrute » Sat May 23, 2020 11:01 pm

That’s fine. I’m having an issue deciding if the back of mine is right or not but I think it’s factory dependant so may get away with it

Exhibitedbrute
Sergeant

Postby Exhibitedbrute » Thu May 28, 2020 11:52 am

Which part of the country are you from. Was thinking I could bring you my hatches to take a mould from or send them to you if that helps?

Exhibitedbrute
Sergeant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Fri May 29, 2020 2:45 am

Exhibitedbrute wrote:Which part of the country are you from. Was thinking I could bring you my hatches to take a mould from or send them to you if that helps?

He’s in Australia so that a fair hike !!
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Exhibitedbrute » Fri May 29, 2020 4:54 am

Yeah a little. Could explain the delays with his hatches though

Exhibitedbrute
Sergeant

Postby Estnische » Fri May 29, 2020 10:19 am

Thanks for the offer - I'm sure they will turn up eventually. That is unless they were on the APL England...

phpBB [video]
Estnische
Sergeant

Postby Exhibitedbrute » Fri May 29, 2020 11:13 am

I would hope they would be coming by air rather than sea

Exhibitedbrute
Sergeant

Postby Estnische » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:09 am

It seems like a long time since my last post - I finally have some significant progress.

The hatches from Christian Ludwig eventually arrived. Christian has someone else make the cast metal parts, so he in turn was waiting for a delivery. All good now and I am so happy to have them. Thank you Christian!

I sized them up against the large hatch hull and decided on locations based on photos of 1:1 Shermans. After removing the originals, I then cut away the excess.

The holes were filled with plasticard, and then I needed to create the Jane Russell bulges in the front. I found some old Tiger exhaust shields that had the right curvatures and cut them to suit.

I needed to move the hull vent further forward, again using some spare model parts. Unfortunately the geography of the Mato hull doesn't match the M4A1 shape exactly, so the vent cannot be the correct shape. It is what it is. Then came a lot of filing, filling and sanding to blend things together.

A touch of primer helps to find the faults, before stippling some Mr Hobby primer to add the cast finish.

And after what seems an eternity, the first coat of some olive drab goes on. I followed the Andy's Hobby Headquarters recipe for lightening the Tamiya paint to a more reasonable colour.

Estnische
Sergeant

Postby Jimster » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:58 am

Wow! Your body work skills are perfect. Everything is blended so well.

Jimster
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:47 am

Faultless, and I’m no bc Sherman fan :clap:
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Heng Long Builds