1942 DAK Panzer IV

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1942 DAK Panzer IV

Post by PainlessWolf »

Hello!
Here is a Pic I found in the recent research book by Trojca which illustrates perfectly, the comments from Jarndice ( appearances as a static shelf queen vs a running vehicle ) Aside from that, I spent a couple of hours last night creating join seams for the few tools which Taigen ( for some ungodly reason ) continue to mold onto the Deck when even HL has given up the practice... I used scribing blades and small needle files to work on these and while not completely obvious in the photos, they look greatly improved in person. I could have ground them off and redone the fender surfaces like I did with the StuG III Build but I have bigger fish to fry waiting on the To-Do Tank List and need to move on with this Build.
Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
Blade set put to good use.jpg
Blade set put to good use.jpg
Around the deck we go.....jpg
Around the deck we go.....jpg
WIP with needle files and scribing blades.jpg
WIP with needle files and scribing blades.jpg
Molded on tools....jpg
Molded on tools....jpg
Parts for the Build pulled out of spares.jpg
Parts for the Build pulled out of spares.jpg
Slack vs Taut tracks appearance.jpg
Slack vs Taut tracks appearance.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A brilliant job of subterfuge :haha:
Because of Taigens reluctance to follow Heng Long I try hard to avoid Taigen PZ4 body's but there is a shortage of Heng Longs PZ4 body's hopefully due to a long overdue revamp :/
This means I have had to bodge the Taigen bodies,
One way round scraping,filing,cutting of the moulded on fixtures and fittings is painting and weathering,
my latest "Finished" PZ4 an Ausf G Is from the Eastern front in winter which allowed me to half hide everything on the body in drifting snow with the airbrushed matte black patches over the dirty snow it saved me the extra work but unless I decide to have a battalion of winter weathered PZ4s I will have to get back to removing the moulded on impediments or coming up with another disguise :lolno:
You don't write detective thrillers in your spare time do you ?
"Bigger fish to fry on the to do list"?
I shall be tuning in to this Crime channel same time next week :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Jarndice!
Thank you for following this humble build. ;o) Alas, the scribing blade set is seeing a lot of employment on this deck ( freeing up the edges of hatches and blocks, etc...etc...) It will turn out all right ( I think ) after assembly and paint. I was laughing when I found the picture in Trojca's book. It illustrated exactly the look I was going for vs the standard rhomboidal slant of the rear tracks. ;o) More to come....
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Another afternoon and this one I was able to spend on the Panzer IV. I took up the Deck and worked on the headlights for a bit. I did not have the correct size lens for the headlights that I wanted to use and a check with the supplier sees them out of stock for the foreseeable future.
I had wanted to display the glass and bulb that is normally hidden behind the armored covers but no such luck. I removed the late version headlights and ordered a nice pair of metal, LED early types from Forgebear. After that, I measured and cut\sanded to epoxy on the neodymium magnets that will hold the deck to the lower now. They will need to cure overnight. A test fit before I affixed the magnets seemed to be good. If I need to use screw on type magnets on the upper, I can still do that but we will see tomorrow. I still had some time so I looked at the turret. That swap out of the mantlets from late to early on the Taigen turret had the potential to be a Build wrecker. I still have nightmares about the resin mantlet and older style Taigen recoil mechanism from the Early StuG III Build ;o) Surprisingly, despite being completely different mechanisms, the interior mount for the Taigen recoil setup only required minimal material removal to slot into the Heng Long exterior mantlet cover. Since the gun tube was made for the older Heng Long and Taigen Panzer IV, it dropped right into place. Some drilling for screw placement after the bulb is swapped out on the flasher will see this somewhat dreaded part of the build completed. I have a sore thumb from the work ( fun ) this afternoon but some Superglue soon set that right.
Attachments
Of course all of this ease in modification required the usual blood price associated with our chosen Hobby...The G.I.'s friend soon had it stuck back together..jpg
Of course all of this ease in modification required the usual blood price associated with our chosen Hobby...The G.I.'s friend soon had it stuck back together..jpg
This decent fit required minimal material removement from the Taigen interior mount...A couple of well placed screws will see it secured after the new bulb is fitted..jpg
This decent fit required minimal material removement from the Taigen interior mount...A couple of well placed screws will see it secured after the new bulb is fitted..jpg
for the combo Heng Long Mantlet and Tank Modelbau recoiling Short 75mm.jpg
for the combo Heng Long Mantlet and Tank Modelbau recoiling Short 75mm.jpg
Taigens long barreled 75mm mantlet and mount which is being swapped out ...mostly....jpg
Taigens long barreled 75mm mantlet and mount which is being swapped out ...mostly....jpg
Another view.jpg
Another view.jpg
A simple photo of Taigens recoil mechanism as a Help Me Remember aide.....jpg
A simple photo of Taigens recoil mechanism as a Help Me Remember aide.....jpg
Magnets are a simple epoxy fit on the Lower...no cutting required.jpg
Magnets are a simple epoxy fit on the Lower...no cutting required.jpg
Removed the headlights and ordered some early type ones from Forgebear...posts measured and cut and epoxied magnets curing overnight.jpg
Removed the headlights and ordered some early type ones from Forgebear...posts measured and cut and epoxied magnets curing overnight.jpg
Something new to try on the stock zinc metal gears...does wonders for bearings as well.....jpg
Something new to try on the stock zinc metal gears...does wonders for bearings as well.....jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Glad your finger has survived, mine are a bit cut and scuffed from a current build. Really enjoying this one Mr. Painless :clap: That new short barrel gun is exceptional :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I agree with Carl! The build has been instructional and very enjoyable to watch, and your short-barrel 75mm is the best one I've ever seen done. Alpha would be proud.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Carl!...Sass!
Thanks for looking in, Gentlemen! The mantlet will look a fair bit better with the old style aerial deflector and some cleanup and detailing performed. I'm looking forward to screwing the parts together and seeing it recoil correctly. I really wish I could salvage the Taigen flash bulb because it is _BRIGHT!_ I am worried that the simple LED that came with the short 75mm barrel kit will under perform or worse, burn out from the heavy duty Taigen flash unit. I could try drilling out the new barrel a bit but I do not have a press and certainly do not want to ruin it. More to come soon!
regards,
Painless

P.S. Mike, I am sure that Alpha is getting a chuckle over the various imprecations I utter when things ping or fly across the room or roll Hell for Leather under the nearest appliance. ;o)
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

The only thing in the mail today was the decal set for the Commander figure from Dragon ( Which I still need to locate here or order ) Some little work done on the Deck and Turret tonight. The magnets are good as installed. I did clean up the tops of the gearboxes and the 'wire' guides' on the underside of the Deck to get a really close fit. On the turret, I drilled and used a couple of screws to mount the Taigen inner mantlet to the Heng Long exterior mantlet. After that, I drilled and mounted the working turret MG. That will need to cure overnight and the wiring will need a channel prepped on the inner mantlet to avoid fouling the elevation. More fun to follow:
Attachments
MG mounted and hole for HL warning light filled and set aside to cure.jpg
MG mounted and hole for HL warning light filled and set aside to cure.jpg
A perfect fit after a little drilling.jpg
A perfect fit after a little drilling.jpg
Before the gearbox frame cleanup....jpg
Before the gearbox frame cleanup....jpg
Wiring guides removed.jpg
Wiring guides removed.jpg
For the Commander.jpg
For the Commander.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Nice with the stubby gun and the mg. Is it a bit offset?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning!
Camera angle makes it appear so but no, it is straight on. I have some time to use today while the S.O. streams and will put it to good use. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”