1942 DAK Panzer IV

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1942 DAK Panzer IV

Post by PainlessWolf »

I am working hard to have something left of the original HL 'F' Panzer IV to put into this build. I will be using a new turret and deck along with Tank Modelbau barrel and flash mated up with Taigen's newest electronics. I am set on using the Lower at least and am cleaning it up for use. The sintered metal gearboxes can be used for now ( until they break ) and will save the expense of new black steel gearboxes for a while. The HL lower needs a lot of massaging. I am on the fence about removing and lowering the last Return Roller since that will require some two part epoxy and a lot of finger crossing. I will have to remove the older style hatches on the HL deck and install them on the Taigen deck. Otherwise, aside from tool placement, the decks are very similar. ( Taigen is much more detailed and accurate...even has a 'slight' slope built into it ) Running gear has been replaced by Taigen parts to get better detailing on them. Metal, rubber tires, correct sprockets, etc. The MATO metal tracks that came with the tank can be used. Away we go....
Pics: (Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
HL return roller shafts will need material removed to fit with the Taigen parts...was easy to pull out at least..jpg
HL return roller shafts will need material removed to fit with the Taigen parts...was easy to pull out at least..jpg
Taigen hardware installed is a little stiff but should work in under use..jpg
Taigen hardware installed is a little stiff but should work in under use..jpg
Taigen replacement set uses a long and short leaf spring and an angle spring in between the two pieces of the Bogie.  Much better detailed..jpg
Taigen replacement set uses a long and short leaf spring and an angle spring in between the two pieces of the Bogie. Much better detailed..jpg
The HL bogies are crude and simplistic with plastic roadwheels yet they have great single leaf spring bounce..jpg
The HL bogies are crude and simplistic with plastic roadwheels yet they have great single leaf spring bounce..jpg
Beginning the swap from HL and MATO running gear to the Taigen set..jpg
Beginning the swap from HL and MATO running gear to the Taigen set..jpg
A complete set of working Early HL electronics..jpg
A complete set of working Early HL electronics..jpg
A lot of swap out to do.....jpg
A lot of swap out to do.....jpg
Another view of the old and new decks.jpg
Another view of the old and new decks.jpg
HL looks fairly detailed until you compare it with the Taigen...Tools still molded on will require work....jpg
HL looks fairly detailed until you compare it with the Taigen...Tools still molded on will require work....jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

A little more work done this afternoon. I used to dread working with HL return roller shafts. Not anymore after I saw how easy that it was to mod them to fit more detailed parts.
Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
Getting closer to primer and paint for the Lower...still work to do there.jpg
Getting closer to primer and paint for the Lower...still work to do there.jpg
All ready to mount on the Lower.jpg
All ready to mount on the Lower.jpg
Corrected shaft on the left and stock HL on the right..jpg
Corrected shaft on the left and stock HL on the right..jpg
Best way to turn down the crown of the return roller shaft...chuck it in a Dremel and grab a curved diamond file..jpg
Best way to turn down the crown of the return roller shaft...chuck it in a Dremel and grab a curved diamond file..jpg
Opening up the Taigen cover to match the HL version would ruin it for attachment to the Taigen backing wheel half.jpg
Opening up the Taigen cover to match the HL version would ruin it for attachment to the Taigen backing wheel half.jpg
The reason for the extra work.jpg
The reason for the extra work.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

A few evenings worth of work grabbed here and there when time allowed. Things are moving forward and I can see the Lower being completed soon.
Pics: ( Click to enlarge )
Attachments
Taigen metal with rubber tires and early Sprockets.jpg
Taigen metal with rubber tires and early Sprockets.jpg
Taigen running gear assembled, painted and back on..jpg
Taigen running gear assembled, painted and back on..jpg
I am going to miss the Model Masters version of this color once it is all gone.....jpg
I am going to miss the Model Masters version of this color once it is all gone.....jpg
Good coverage.jpg
Good coverage.jpg
Works great on metal and plastic parts....jpg
Works great on metal and plastic parts....jpg
Some of the excellent Tamiya grey primer applied..jpg
Some of the excellent Tamiya grey primer applied..jpg
I was going to cut out the top of the battery box and use it as a tray but I needed a home for the new speaker.jpg
I was going to cut out the top of the battery box and use it as a tray but I needed a home for the new speaker.jpg
Temporary fitment of new electronics to check for space.jpg
Temporary fitment of new electronics to check for space.jpg
Removing unused switches.jpg
Removing unused switches.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening all. A little more work this evening installing some working bump stops for this deluxe, new suspension. The old HL lower has never looked or worked better.
Pics: ( Click to enlarge )
Attachments
The bump stops are a nice working addition to the tank's suspension..jpg
The bump stops are a nice working addition to the tank's suspension..jpg
The cork is sealed and epoxied into place...can be painted but I think the local dirt will do the job for me..jpg
The cork is sealed and epoxied into place...can be painted but I think the local dirt will do the job for me..jpg
I looked at rubber stops as well and went with the cork due to it's flatter profile...stops made out of rubber sheet can be used if required..jpg
I looked at rubber stops as well and went with the cork due to it's flatter profile...stops made out of rubber sheet can be used if required..jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Looking nice, I love the little details! Painless did you start on 1/35 armor before RC tanks?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Heyas, Doc,
Back when I was a kid, yes indeed. I still do the smaller scales but mainly as research kits for details or paint colors for the RC stuff now.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Tracks installed.jpg
Template complete  042920.jpg
Template complete 042920.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
forgebear
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by forgebear »

wow you moved fast on this one painless looking good
dave :thumbup:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Mr. Dave,
I was just showing Jnewboy the research Panzer IV 'E' in 1/35 scale that I had built to see what details and paint could look like on the 1/16 scale 'F'... Still a long way to go. ;o) BTW, did you see my question about the swiveling aerial and steel gearbox type that I left at Forgebear Tanks?
regards and many thanks,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
forgebear
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by forgebear »

hi painless sir
i did not see it send me another one also p4 yes i will get some stock in from the supplier let you know when they are in
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Well done Mr. Painless well done :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”