RAMSCHAUFELPANZER PANTHER

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-vamping you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.

Postby Tiger6 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:29 pm

Its an odd mantlet for sure, the photo's I have of the prototypes all show the gun fitted (mind you the proto's also had 2 head lights, where as I can't see any provision for a right hand side light). It could be that there is no mantlet fitted, and they simply bent up a sheet of steel to close the front of the turret off? There is no zimeritt visible on it.

The Zimeritt pattern on the rest of the turret shell is also unusual.

Tiger6
Sergeant
 
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:38 pm

Postby PershingLover » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:08 pm

Hey Herman, I found something for you- a Stug with a plow! You feel up to some more brass work? :haha:
Attachments
images-1.jpg
images-1.jpg (11.11 KiB) Viewed 816 times
User avatar
PershingLover
Corporal
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:37 am
Location: Maryland, USA

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:46 pm

PershingLover wrote:Hey Herman, I found something for you- a Stug with a plow! You feel up to some more brass work? :haha:


Ha! The StuG bit yes, the IV base,no. I’m
Not a fan of the PzIV model.
There’s 3 pics that if found of the Panther dozer, as is the case when in need of more info, there is never enough!
In one of them, when I blow the picture up on a good screen, zimmerit can be made out on the mantlet.
On another angle though, it can’t be seen.
As for the mg and gunners sight penetrations, I’m going to assume they were plugged with wood or rag to reduce dust ingress.
The gun aperture Would also have been filled or covered .
Another question, why the turret at all ?
If this was a tank in for repair, and no gun was available, why not just leave the turret off all together and cover the ring with a canvas tarp ?
Plus, these early panthers had fragile final drives, especially with inferior crew operation, so I doubt this dozer would have lasted long ?

Perhaps I will just stop asking myself why & just finish it !!!!
User avatar
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel
 
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 am
Location: Gold Coast,Australia

Postby Tiger6 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:58 pm

HERMAN BIX wrote:Another question, why the turret at all ?
If this was a tank in for repair, and no gun was available, why not just leave the turret off all together and cover the ring with a canvas tarp ?
Plus, these early panthers had fragile final drives, especially with inferior crew operation, so I doubt this dozer would have lasted long ?

Perhaps I will just stop asking myself why & just finish it !!!!


I was pondering this yesterday, best I could come up with is that the extra weight would aid with traction, and the dummy weights used for testing looked to be simple rings rather than a full enclosure? - you wouldn't want rubble pouring thru an open turret ring in the even of falling debris...
Again if we run with the 'factory test / prototype vehicle' idea, you'd be able to argue that the final drives would have had the later parts installed as part of any test program, and the guy at the controls could well have been the works test driver ;)

Tiger6
Sergeant
 
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:38 pm

Postby PershingLover » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:31 pm

Tiger6 wrote:
HERMAN BIX wrote:Another question, why the turret at all ?
If this was a tank in for repair, and no gun was available, why not just leave the turret off all together and cover the ring with a canvas tarp ?
Plus, these early panthers had fragile final drives, especially with inferior crew operation, so I doubt this dozer would have lasted long ?

Perhaps I will just stop asking myself why & just finish it !!!!


I was pondering this yesterday, best I could come up with is that the extra weight would aid with traction, and the dummy weights used for testing looked to be simple rings rather than a full enclosure? - you wouldn't want rubble pouring thru an open turret ring in the even of falling debris...
Again if we run with the 'factory test / prototype vehicle' idea, you'd be able to argue that the final drives would have had the later parts installed as part of any test program, and the guy at the controls could well have been the works test driver ;)


Why not do something like the Bergepanther? A wooden deck, like on the model below? And I was also wondering about those final drives. Even the dozer blade was light, what happens when you have to push tons of rubble? It's a mystery. :haha:
User avatar
PershingLover
Corporal
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:37 am
Location: Maryland, USA

Postby PershingLover » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:31 pm

Sorry, here's the image.
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (9.73 KiB) Viewed 771 times
User avatar
PershingLover
Corporal
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:37 am
Location: Maryland, USA

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:14 am

Ive been away out west for a week, back now.
Burnt landscape (from drought not fire) and dead Roo's are everywhere, flies................. :problem: like you cant imagine.

Have some pics of the ram-Panther not uploaded that I did prior to leaving.
The turret cam pattern was part Mr Selkirks 'A' requiem, and part advice from one of my tank mates that can paint.
I'm ok with the exposed primer patches that I masked with Panzer Putty, but they are very stark & bright at the moment.
A good wash & chip should calm them down. I hope.
Wheels are on, hub caps secured & punched in to place with a suitable 1/4" drive socket that fits over the hub centre.
Its coming good, but I wont be happy until its finished.
Attachments
P1120011.JPG
P1120015.JPG
P1120015.JPG (65.11 KiB) Viewed 707 times
P1120016.JPG
P1120016.JPG (69.44 KiB) Viewed 707 times
P1180017.JPG
P1180018.JPG
P1180019.JPG
P1180022.JPG
P1180020.JPG
User avatar
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel
 
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 am
Location: Gold Coast,Australia

Postby Wildboar44 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:59 pm

Do you hold your breath the first time you depress the air brush trigger on that first stroke of colour ? I certainly do :haha: . Nice job :clap:
User avatar
Wildboar44
Corporal
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:28 pm
Location: Kent England UK.

Postby c.rainford73 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:17 pm

Mr Bix that paintjob is a work of art :clap:
User avatar
c.rainford73
Major
 
Posts: 5789
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Postby Ad Lav » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:21 pm

Smart work :D
User avatar
Ad Lav
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 3242
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: Kent

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:36 pm

Wildboar44 wrote:Do you hold your breath the first time you depress the air brush trigger on that first stroke of colour ? I certainly do :haha: . Nice job :clap:


Yip, I most certainly do !
Trying to get the finger to carry out the picture in the minds eye is always a nervous time !!
User avatar
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel
 
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 am
Location: Gold Coast,Australia

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:24 am

c.rainford73 wrote:Mr Bix that paintjob is a work of art :clap:


Thanks Mr Rainford, it'll do ;)
User avatar
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel
 
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 am
Location: Gold Coast,Australia

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:25 am

Ad Lav wrote:Smart work :D


Cheers Mr Lav, just kicking it out wide & seeing where it ends up :eh:
User avatar
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel
 
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 am
Location: Gold Coast,Australia

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:30 am

Have well advanced into the final stages now.
As is my habit, its got a heavy wash befitting a machine that has had several owners-none of them careful!
The blade needs to be 'metalic-y' but not rusty as such, more of a patina, so it got a base of track blend, and a mix of fantasy theme Mars pigment, and Ash. Lots of fixer built up the layers using a stiff brush to stipple it on.
Once it was dry, I used a very soft pencil to add more depth to the shade. It looks like steel now.
Am going to do another few layers of Tamiya weathering pastel and orange rust pigment tomorrow.
Plan is that instead of chipping the paint, I will give it the effect of having the paint worn off over time on the high/sharp edges, and the armour surface rubbed by lots of foot traffic & abrasive dust & debris that is part of street clearing judging by the pictures.
Appears to be a lot of constant contact by streams of 'ersatz' crew and who knows who else but Im guessing without the structured & disciplined conduct of maintenance or operational protocols by a proper crew.
Again the real soft pencil rubbed over the relevant areas should give the right look.
There is a figure on its way from parts unknown, one of the club guys is a figure nut & is very well researched & connected , so one day that will pop up too !
Attachments
P1220011.JPG
patina base L
P1220012.JPG
patina base R
P1260019.JPG
glacis wash
P1260020.JPG
P1260022.JPG
P1260021.JPG
User avatar
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel
 
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 am
Location: Gold Coast,Australia

Postby square4 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:41 pm

Cracking work on the whole model , especially the dozer blade, good to see something different being built. :clap:
User avatar
square4
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:45 am
Location: Southport

Postby BarryC » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:35 pm

The blade looks great Herman! Oxidized but not rusted. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
User avatar
BarryC
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:43 pm
Location: Savannah, GA. USA

Postby c.rainford73 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:02 pm

Brilliant work Herman. That blade looks absolutely fantastic and so realistic! You have nailed it
User avatar
c.rainford73
Major
 
Posts: 5789
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Postby Wildboar44 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:08 pm

Excellent work as usual Sir :clap:

I like your outdoor posted pictures, reminds me what sunshine looks like ! 8)
User avatar
Wildboar44
Corporal
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:28 pm
Location: Kent England UK.

Postby HERMAN BIX » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:09 am

square4 wrote:Cracking work on the whole model , especially the dozer blade, good to see something different being built. :clap:


Appreciate the kudos Mr Square, it is indeed a difficult task to find a different subject to model off.
But part of the fun of doing this thing we do is the difficulty-not necessarily the easiness...........and with such a huge number of ultra talented modelers getting into the larger scale, its a beacon of excitement what we see achieved.
User avatar
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel
 
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 am
Location: Gold Coast,Australia

Postby HERMAN BIX » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:10 am

BarryC wrote:The blade looks great Herman! Oxidized but not rusted. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry


Cheers Mr c, done a bit since the picture, but its still not a Pacific Island ship hulk !
User avatar
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel
 
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 am
Location: Gold Coast,Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Heng Long Builds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kaczor, Marco Peter and 12 guests