Panther Dots

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Re: Panther Dots

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

hi everyone, have been beavering away with this, thought I would post some updates. So I finished sticking on the brown layer dots.
IMG_2442.JPG
IMG_2440.JPG
IMG_2441.JPG
then the green layer of the tri cam was sprayed on
IMG_2452.JPG
IMG_2450.JPG
then back to sticking on the dots! finally got it completed.
IMG_2486.JPG
IMG_2487.JPG
IMG_2488.JPG
IMG_2489.JPG
IMG_2490.JPG
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

After that it got the chicken korma treatment! Base coat on, which is a bit ironic as this had to be done in reverse
IMG_2491.JPG
IMG_2492.JPG
IMG_2493.JPG
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

So the moment of truth came and I peeled the dots off, now this had an upside and a downside, I got the patter I wanted, however the low tack wasn't as low tack as I wanted. Two things happened, firstly on the metallic parts some of the pain came with the dot that was peeled off. Secondly a residue was left behind on about 20% of the dots, so some remedial work was needed. The residue was rubbed off then the paint was touched up with brushes. I don't think its turned out too badly tbh, weathering next!
IMG_2616.JPG
IMG_2617.JPG
IMG_2618.JPG
IMG_2619.JPG
IMG_2620.JPG
IMG_2621.JPG
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I quite liked the white dots, and though there's no precedent in WW2 German camo schemes for them, as far as I'm aware, for a little while you had a unique Panther there :) It looked like a tank with some hitherto unknown form of metal pox :D
I wonder whether it's possible to create the dot effect by simply punching holes out of a flexible sheet, and whilst then using the sheet for masking purposes, spraying through the holes? Hmm..perhaps the dots would be too blurred that way. :problem:
Nice job, though..and an interesting presentation. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

This is quite an ambitious painting project you have taken on and have done a superb job

I've been following along and am glad to see how nice this unique piece has come out so far.

Can only imagine how nice it will all be when the weathering takes this panther to the next level

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

nice to see your hard work paid off , now the fun begins, i do love weathering
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

Thanks for the comments everyone. I am looking forwards to the weathering, hopefully I can do a good job of it. put a filter on already to pull it together however I might apply a few more to get the contrast not as severe. I have had a play with grime and washes before and feel pretty comfortable with them. My area that I really want to learn about this time is getting the chipping right, any advice and tips here would be great, the hull has shell scrapes in it pre molded so would be good to put the silver in them.

I liked the white dots but after sticking about 500 of them on I was seeing them in my sleep!! Metal pox, love it :thumbup:

I did think about creating a stencil but I think it would've made the edges a bit blurry, I also thought about stamping the dots on but wasn't sure about the finish I would get. Was therapeutic / infuriating putting the dots on, use of medicinal Jack Daniels was a must :D
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

Hi Everyone, have found a bit of time over the last few weeks to add some weathering and stencil on some numbers on the night fighting panther.

So I got some stencils from rctank.de, really like the idea of the 122 set with the bat insignia. How could I resist spraying a bat on my tank? Panther tank with a bat on it, what's not to like!

So I also have added some chipping to the paint and done some washes and some dry brushing. So I am going to add some more washes, put on the antenna I bought for the rear deck, then its fading time then streaking. Quite pleased with the way its going so far.
IMG_2732.JPG
IMG_2733.JPG
IMG_2734.JPG
IMG_2735.JPG
IMG_2736.JPG
IMG_2737.JPG
IMG_2738.JPG
IMG_2739.JPG
IMG_2740.JPG
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

The chipping really bring this paint job to life
Tanks alot.... :wave:
hotte8487
Sergeant

Post by hotte8487 »

Very laborious but even very interesting. Thank you for sharing this. :thumbup:
Greeting Hotte

IG-Panzerjäger Berlin

HL Tiger I late (ElMod)
Torro Kingtiger (ElMod)
Tamiya Tiger I early (ElMod)
Tamiya Panther G (ElMod)

The thinking is allowed to all people, but many are spared. (Curt Goetz 1888-1960)

Return to “Heng Long Builds”