1/16 WCP JointVenture Diamond T980

Custom designs 3D Printed
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: 1/16 WCP JointVenture Diamond T980

Post by Tiger6 »

Ad Lav wrote:Very nice - a friend of mine owns one of these. Big trucks. You should look at Ward la France wreckers as well.
I want to do one, but nobody does a kit (for reasonable money) in 1/35 that I can use for a reference :(
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

In my youth the site of Diamond T wreckers and Circus and Funfair trucks was not at all a rare sight,
The funfair vehicles would have a large capacity generator on the back to power the three or four fairground amusement trailers that under special license it would tow around the country,
I would be told by my loving mother to keep well away from the carnies but I was fascinated by the skill of the drivers of those rigs as they positioned the trailers exactly where they needed to be and something I initially missed was the towed trailers were in the right order of delivery on the back of the truck and all this was done generally on rough ground in poor light.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

jarndice wrote:In my youth the site of Diamond T wreckers and Circus and Funfair trucks was not at all a rare sight,
The funfair vehicles would have a large capacity generator on the back to power the three or four fairground amusement trailers that under special license it would tow around the country,
I would be told by my loving mother to keep well away from the carnies but I was fascinated by the skill of the drivers of those rigs as they positioned the trailers exactly where they needed to be and something I initially missed was the towed trailers were in the right order of delivery on the back of the truck and all this was done generally on rough ground in poor light.
That really is cool, yeah i had heard that if they fit a bench vise of something they could class them as mobile workshops and drive on the road without having the need for heavy goods license or something bizarre like that
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Another little set of details, a well thought out addition, look neat aswell

HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Looking good Will, this is going to be a beast of a machine, yet another one of your builds that is going onto my wishlist :/ :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Model Builder 4 wrote:Looking good Will, this is going to be a beast of a machine, yet another one of your builds that is going onto my wishlist :/ :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Cheers matey :)

I like this truck soo much, i think i am going to build another for WCP to conduct some extreme usage. Fancy making the winch operational and see if i can get it strong enough to haul a heavy Sherman or Comet or maybe something captured. I reckon i could use a geared motor with a further belt or chain drive reduction and snatch blocks.
My previous winch designs have proved themselves extremely powerful.

The dual 370 transfer case i have designed for this beasty has great promise for use in more models in future e.g. SS100.

Truck has slowed down now as we are waiting for the parts to arrive to continue the build
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Small update
Brand New full metal axles with drive thru middle axle in order to prevent torque twisting whilst dragging loads
These axles are a right pita to build, they need alot of fettling and tweaking, but once done and loctite they do work well.

A piece of advice for anyone building these axles, if you find the crown gear not running straight and true(i found quite alot have wobbly crown gears) do not build it, immediately get replacement gears. The seller should supply of course, but i have found some suppliers who simply do nothing, so you end up having to go searching yourself.

Also you can see pictures metal leaf springs, so will use these with the axles and should have nicely tuneable set of leafs.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Time for some more pictures and details

So this is being built up as a British use vehicle, so only natural to use a British uniform driver :)

Still got the steering wheel to print so he is not aimlessly holding his hands in the air!

The thing i am really proud of in this vehicle is the powertrain.
I like having torque and useable power in most of my builds, since this will be used for hauling a trailer and RC tanks, it needs some grunt.

So dual 370 geared motors running into a transfer case which is then run to drive the rear axles in 6x4 configuration
There are no selectable gears in this truck, but on 2s & 3s lipo it will give good scale speed and grunt.

phpBB [video]
in single motor config, but pictures below show how the 2nd motor is used to drive the setup

Showing chassis mock up with front axle in situ
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Been a while since i posted an update
Checking ouot max sus travel without leaf springs loaded
WPL Modified drive thru centre axle and standard rear axle, all metal casings and gears etc.

Ignore the whispy lines on the prototype side pieces

So far the model has been run hardwired to battery, the RC test will hopefully occur during the week at somepoint.
The dual motors run together and are setup to run thru WCP Models metal geared transfer case. There is a significant amount in this setup, so will suit tank hauling very well.

Videos to follow.

This is the Diamond T981 open cab, but we are also doing a Diamond T980 closed cab, both will be configured the same.
The model has been very well designed and we have also added in our own preferences.
I might be lucky enough to build one for myself to use aswell, so maybe i can use it to haul about my LCM3 once i get round to doing a trailer
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant