WCP 1/16 German Eastern Frint dual fuel trailer

Custom designs 3D Printed
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

WCP 1/16 German Eastern Frint dual fuel trailer

Post by Will01Capri »

Hello, not a new model, but a new video
Going to start selling these as a self part build kit.
Here is a video of how I assemble the kit using some left over parts I had laying around.
If anyone has any feedback, please feel free to leave a message.

phpBB [video]

Pictures to follow.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: WCP 1/16 German Eastern Frint dual fuel trailer

Post by Jimster »

Another great video. I already have one of your outstanding trailers but I was wondering about something. Would they hold the weight of a Tiger engine and would a Tiger ever have pulled one to have extra fuel available out on the lonely Stepps? Perhaps far fetched but I was just curious for possible diorama ideas or photo shoots.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

At first glance, 2 x 200 litre drums of gasoline are going to weigh somewhere in the neighbourhood of 400 to 450Kg, where as a HL230 weighs in at 1200kg. So I'd say that was a 'no' 8O

I don't recall seeing pictures of fuel trailers behind tanks dated much after the end of 1941, and certainly the Germans aren't advancing great distances unopposed after the 1942 summer offensive into the Caucasus. (if you are expecting opposition, you aren't dragging highly flamable fuel around on a flimsy trailer behind you).

By the time the Tiger gets into service it is generally being used in very localised actions, being dictated by both its lack of mechanical durability and the general fuel shortage within the Third Reich. There's probably a picture out there somewhere to prove me wrong, but as a general concept, I doubt they would have enough fuel on hand to fill those drums and run the risk of loosing them to air attack, or being forced to ditch them in a sudden retreat.
The idea of fuel trailers behind tanks comes up time and again, yet they never get adopted (with the exception of the Crocodile - and if there was room in the tank, they wouldn't have done that either), so that probably should tell us something 8)

Hopefully David Byrden will spot this thread and give us the benefit of his extensive research :wave:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Sounds like a well thought out response to me. Thank you for taking the time. Looks like I need to get busy on my Opel Blitz project to carrry my Tiger engine and pull the fuel trailer.
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Nice video
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Jimster wrote:Another great video. I already have one of your outstanding trailers but I was wondering about something. Would they hold the weight of a Tiger engine and would a Tiger ever have pulled one to have extra fuel available out on the lonely Stepps? Perhaps far fetched but I was just curious for possible diorama ideas or photo shoots.
Tiger engine wouldn't carry on one of these trailers, defo would be broken haha
However Panzers of all sorts and trucks would have towed these fuel trailers behind when driving longer distances. They would Jerry rig up a fuel hose from the barrels and with the help of a few poles holding the fuel hose the other e.d would be stuck into the tank fuel tanks

I cannot find any pictures of Tigers with one in tow, but i have alot of pictures of smaller tanks towing single & dual fuel barrels like Pz IV and the Panzer 38t etc

I would suggest however that these would have been for long runs, as Tiger suggests you wouldn't want it anywhere you may feel opposition!
Also manoeuvres with a small trailer on the back behind a tank would be a right pita! So i guess they just drive them forward, no reversing around the corner here lol
https://project38.net/wp-content/uploads/tow.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c0/fb/34 ... 034328.jpg

https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/7881368077928683/
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
WCP RC MODELS
Corporal

Post by WCP RC MODELS »

Pictures showing Assembly & Exploded view of sections

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The Tiger 1 would carry fuel in a 200 litre drum on the area behind the turret when traversing long distances in the Russian campaign,
There are lots of pictures showing how it was done BUT unfortunately I have yet to find enough detail showing how the drum was restrained.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “WCP Models”