It Begins! My M4A1 based Sherman Firefly Build.

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Re: It Begins! My M4A1 based Sherman Firefly Build.

Post by X82d Pathfinder »

Picture group two............
Attachments
Turret net.jpeg
Turret net.jpeg (77.64 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Turret from rear hatches open.jpeg
Turret from rear hatches open.jpeg (66.72 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Turret above.jpeg
Turret above.jpeg (81.9 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Tow bar.jpeg
Tow bar.jpeg (89.43 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Top turret hatch open.jpeg
Top turret hatch open.jpeg (41.17 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Top rear deck.jpeg
Top rear deck.jpeg (71.33 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Top center turret.jpeg
Top center turret.jpeg (60.95 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Side turret net straps.jpeg
Side turret net straps.jpeg (67.72 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Right rear tools.jpeg
Right rear tools.jpeg (78.61 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
right front.jpeg
right front.jpeg (67.86 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

All I can say is wow!!!!
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Absolutely museum-quality work. I know that it is going to serve as the standard for future Firefly builds. Thank you for sharing the details of all your hard work on it.
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Thank you gentlemen for your high compliments. I appreciate that some took the time to comment. Been a long build.

-Dan
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Well Done Dan,fine job and after all the effort this certainly is a post that will serve many hobbyist well for years.

Must say one of the best contributions to the forum, and not just saying so because your from Little Tennessee, really.

Because of the skill and time taken to not just build the damn thing but to share it with everyone.And considering I have my first American tank,a Sherman. I will certainly be reviewing your build for guidance. :thumbup: ;D

Saxondog
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Saxon-
It was my hope that I could re-create a Firefly that wasn't just Firefly-ish, but emulate the prototype. This was quite a bit of work and I think my next build will be something almost from the box.. ( Yeah, right!) I am bitten by the bug now. I will have to take on something more complicated now. :/
-Dan
Nigelr32
Recruit

Post by Nigelr32 »

Tell you what Dan.. the top two pics in group 2 could be the real thing!!

You really have done a fantastic job of that Sherman!!
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Thank you, Nigel! I will take a picture in a more fitting setting as soon as I get the commander painted. He's damn near done. I have always painted figures with Oils and enamels. I decided to try working with Andrea acrylics. It's a whole new game and thus far I'm not much of a fan of acrylics.
-Dan
cannedheat

Post by cannedheat »

nice one old chap am jealous, wot wot
Nigelr32
Recruit

Post by Nigelr32 »

X82d Pathfinder wrote:Thank you, Nigel! I will take a picture in a more fitting setting as soon as I get the commander painted. He's damn near done. I have always painted figures with Oils and enamels. I decided to try working with Andrea acrylics. It's a whole new game and thus far I'm not much of a fan of acrylics.
-Dan
I'll agree with you there Dan, I love acrylics through my airbrush, and the fact they give you the luxury of using oil and enamel washes without lifting the base coat. BUT..... Acrylics on the brush... It's like dragging a snail around on a sheet of greased glass!! :haha:

Nige

Return to “Tamiya Builds”