It Begins! My M4A1 based Sherman Firefly Build.

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Re: It Begins! My M4A1 based Sherman Firefly Build.

Post by X82d Pathfinder »

Once again, no kit for the Brit type tow bar so I made one. Bovington was kind enough to send me a couple pictures for reference so scaled them down and here is the product. I have to make the pintle yet. However, I mounted it for a dry run to make sure all the angles were right. So without further adieu, here it is.
Attachments
Tow Bar test mount
Tow Bar test mount
Rear Tow Bar Mounted not completed.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 3414 times
Two Bar Front View
Two Bar Front View
Tow hitch front.jpg (75.33 KiB) Viewed 3414 times
Tow Bar top view
Tow Bar top view
Tow hitch front side.jpg (67.66 KiB) Viewed 3414 times
Tow bar mount
Tow bar mount
Tow Bar Bracket 2.jpg (65.6 KiB) Viewed 3414 times
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

The lamp guards and horn guard are installed, and welds are complete. I noted the electrical conduit that runs to the horn in my references, so I added that as well as the the lamp plug and retainer and chain to the light guards. Something I've never seen anyone do yet on a Sherman. You'd think what Shumo charges for the guard set they would have caught this little detail. I also used the Shumo lift hooks. I completed the welds, however the actual LED lighting and lenses will go in after I have shot the paint.
Attachments
LF Hull Lamp Guards and Horn Electrical Conduit
LF Hull Lamp Guards and Horn Electrical Conduit
Left front lamp guard and horn conduit.jpg (46.66 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
DRAGONWAGON
Lance Corporal

Post by DRAGONWAGON »

Awesome work, Dan!! I love your eye for detail. The lamp plug is a nice detail, which in my opinion also, should be on the Schumo kits upgrade as well, but hey, nothing too complicated te reproduce!

Keep up the good work, I will follow you silently, but closely...LOL John.
Tamiya M4 (105) HVSS Sherman
Tamiya Tiger I early version
Tamiya Pz.Kpfw.182 Tiger II "Königs Tiger"
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

John:
I just noted your location. I was there in 1994 for 50 year anniversary of Market-Garden. I was with the 504th Parachute infantry regiment, the same unit that made the jump in Graves. My grandfather made the jump on 17 Sept 44.

-Dan
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

After noting that rear equipment on the M4A1 was different than all the later variants I once again started fabricating being nothing was supplied to mount the tools correctly for this variant. The early M4's had the sledge hammer supported by a U shaped cup and the handle sat in two L shaped brackets. I made them from scrap brass. The track adjuster is also mounted differently on this variant. I used box plastic stock and cut it in half. I also used brass tube to mount the hex end of the wrench. The crank starter I bent from aluminum tubing. I used the next diameter up to make the handle and a Waldron punch set to punch the crank handle end from sheet plastic. I noted the pin and chain that retains the wrench and added them, then the welds that would be in place for the brackets.
Attachments
Crank inserted into hole
Crank inserted into hole
Crank started inserted.jpg (50.04 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
Rear hull equipment and mounts
Rear hull equipment and mounts
Rear hull equipment mounted.jpg (39.57 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
Crank slot
Crank slot
Crank start slot hull.jpg (41.9 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
Sledge hammer mount
Sledge hammer mount
Sledge hammer bracket.jpg (58.08 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

After looking at my references the Shumo lamp guards are actually made incorrectly for use on the cast hull variant. I had to lengthen the outer rear leg on both sides to make them correct.
Attachments
Left Rear Guard
Left Rear Guard
Rear light and guard.jpg (33.66 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

I primed the rear turret storage container today. It looks much better in primer than it does in the white.
Attachments
Turret Storage Box Rear View
Turret Storage Box Rear View
Turret Storage Box Hinges.jpg (65.63 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
Turret Storage front view
Turret Storage front view
Turret storage box front.jpg (36.14 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
Side View Turret Storage
Side View Turret Storage
Turret Storage Box Side View.jpg (32.06 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
DRAGONWAGON
Lance Corporal

Post by DRAGONWAGON »

Dan,

just for my info, do you use plain automotive primer, or a fancy modelling primer??

John.
Tamiya M4 (105) HVSS Sherman
Tamiya Tiger I early version
Tamiya Pz.Kpfw.182 Tiger II "Königs Tiger"
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

John:
I use the Tamiya primer for the resin and plastic parts and I use an etching primer from a company called SEM for the metal componets. The Tamiya primer says it works for metal too, but I can tell you it's bonding properties lack when it comes to using it on the aluminum especially.
-Dan
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Here is the completed driver's hatch. I probably would have got more done last night but the cat kept stealing the tools and running off with them. :haha: I tried to duplicate them as close as possible to the prototype. I opened the driver's side periscope because I don't think tanks used sonar for guidence. :haha: I just thought it'd look better with the driver's side with an open periscope. I once again used the old silk thread trick to cut off the periscope cover and repositioned it open.
I also completed the periscopes, however I will show them to good effect when I have painted them.

-Dan
Attachments
Driver's Hatch Bottom View
Driver's Hatch Bottom View
Drivers hatch bottom view.jpg (77.99 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
Driver's Hatch Rear View
Driver's Hatch Rear View
Driver's hatch rear view.jpg (77.71 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
Driver's Side Hatch Front View
Driver's Side Hatch Front View
Drivers hatch.jpg (82.73 KiB) Viewed 3389 times

Return to “Tamiya Builds”