It Begins! My M4A1 based Sherman Firefly Build.

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Re: It Begins! My M4A1 based Sherman Firefly Build.

Post by X82d Pathfinder »

Thank you! I should be done in the next week! It only took me a year!
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
DRAGONWAGON
Lance Corporal

Post by DRAGONWAGON »

Wow Dan, color is spot on! I love the subtle weathering......

Keep the pics coming, this is eye candy!! John.
Tamiya M4 (105) HVSS Sherman
Tamiya Tiger I early version
Tamiya Pz.Kpfw.182 Tiger II "Königs Tiger"
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

I elected to open up a couple persicopes because tanks don't use sonar. I wanted to do something other than just sticking a piece of clear plastic in the opening.
I bought .88 clear plastic sheet, cut them to width and angled the back side of the top to about 60 degrees. I then polished the filed side back out so it was transparent. I used the chrome mylar that is supplied with the Sherman to line the barrel to refelct the flash unit to line the backside of the periscope heads and lightly sanded the back side so paint would stick to the mylar. I masked where the unit was to remain clear and I painted them flat black, as front side where you would view from and see out from is black around the openings. Then I masked the portion that was to be left black and painted the balance in OD green. The screws that retain the frames on the orginals are silver, so I used flat aluminum and a tooth pick to make the small screw heads on the black frame. You can see the mirrored silver mylar through the clear openings. @)
-Dan
Attachments
Periscope mounted upper.jpg
Periscope inside hatch.jpg
Periscope inside hatch.jpg (71.96 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
Persicopes painted.jpg
Periscope hatch top.jpg
Persicopes masked and reflective lining complete.jpg
Persicopes masked 1.jpg
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

John:
Because of the lack of room in the turret and forward of, I elected not to go to the trouble of making up a complete persicope units. The Sherman turret lacks the room of most of the German armor, and wasn't designed for recoil. With the huge support required for 17 Pndr barrel and adding recoil you have fish some things in place through the hatches as it is. Casting them as one piece in transparent resin is a good idea. This is my first heavy scratch build, so I am learning as I go. Thank you for the high compliments.

-Dan
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Dan:

Nick lives about 175 miles from me. I also have the T-23 turret. He also does a nice low bustle turret with the early mantlet and the M4A1 and M4A3 hulls, not to mention an M36 Jackson turret. The 75mm gunned turrets aren't so bad, but the 17 pndr has NO room.

-Dan
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Glenn:
He makes the M4A1 and the M4A3. I am going to convert one to an M4A4 or a welded M4 small hatch. I have a Profiline Brummbar conversion and a PZ IV too.
I worked off and on over a year. I didn't kill myself getting it done. There is a lot of scratch building on this one. Between two vacations and heart surgery It wound up on the back burner quite a bit. I do too many hobbies. Being retired at a young age I have to keep my hands busy.
-Dan
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Glenn:
Did you get a hold of him? If not I can supply contact information.

-Dan
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

I have been busy as a beaver getting the guest room painted and re decorated for family that is coming, however I snuck in a few things in my couple moments of being idle. I completed the tools, wood handles and painting. I also completed the tool hold downs. I used lead foil for the straps, drilled the buckle holes and made the buckles from .020 brass rod. I soldered the corners together. What the hell is a matter with me??? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: It's all YOUR fault that I am going to these lengths of detail! :haha: :haha: :haha:

Anyway, I have yet to weather the tools and paint the hold down straps, but here they are!

-Dan
Attachments
Tools right side
Tools right side
Tools right side.jpg (76.18 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
LH Tools mounted
LH Tools mounted
Tools mounted left side.jpg (75.43 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
Loose Tools after making wooden handles
Loose Tools after making wooden handles
Tools loose.jpg (53.84 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
Tool straps
Tool straps
Tool straps.jpg (65.95 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
Last edited by X82d Pathfinder on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

I just noted the cat hair in the picture. The cat was loving on it after I took pictures. LOL
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

This continues to be an amazing build. Honestly, if I didn't know the tools and holders were those of a model, I would believe I was looking at pictures of the real thing! Great workmanship!

Return to “Tamiya Builds”