It Begins! My M4A1 based Sherman Firefly Build.

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

It Begins! My M4A1 based Sherman Firefly Build.

Post by X82d Pathfinder »

Well, I would like to start off with thanking the many gifted members here for the encouraging builds. I wasn't aware of the multitude of detail parts available for 1/16 armor prior to stumbling onto this site.

My intention was to purchase some updates and convert an un-ran mint condition 1974 Sherman 105 kit I picked up some years ago and put in my kit morgue.

Post shopping for electronics I noted that I would be better off starting with a brand new Tamiya Sherman Kit, 56014.

I started shopping on Ebay and located a dealer in Michigan who had the kits for 460.00 and shipping. The best deal I found anywhere. After our discussion I found that he had many spares at very, very reasonable prices. So I picked up spare gear boxes, drive sprockets and a lower and upper hull with the sprues needed to complete the hull less suspension for about 65.00. I will building an M4A3E8 with the spare HVSS suspension and a T-23 turret from Nick Aguilar.

Dave, AKA Forgebear was kind enough to supply me with a Mato Sherman lower so I could pirate the VVSS suspension components for my build as well.

My build is based on pictures taken by a member of my Grandfather's unit during Market-Garden on 27 Sept 44 near Nijmagen, Holland. He made the jump into Grave, Holland on 17 Sept 44 with the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 82nd Airborne Division. The first allied troops to land in Holland. I have given rights for the picture to be reproduced for an upcoming publication on Sherman variants and was asked not to post it elsewhere until the publication has been released.

The M4A1 late "large hatch" ( Sherman II) hull was obviously and oddity for a Firefly and has created many debates over the years, however it seems conventional wisdom has been that all variants of the Firefly were based on either the M4A4, (VC) or the M4 Composite hull (1C Hybrid, however many have stated the conversions started on the M4A1. The specifications for conversion were: M34A1 Wide Mantlet,Petrol Engine and Hydraulic Turret Transverse, Hence the late M4A1 (Sherman II) meets all criteria.

With that said, I am sure I will catch some flak by some over this build as a "Non-existent" variant of the Firefly, however I know better.

The builds on this forum have been an encouragement to take on a large conversion of this nature and this is my first. Even though I am a veteran model builder and a miniature painter I'm sure this will be challenging for me none the less.

I encourage ideas, constructive criticism and feedback. Please feel free to do so.
I will be posting pictures as I work through the build.

I thank you all for the stirring of imagination and the ideas provided.

-Dan
Attachments
New Sherman Kit.jpg
New Sherman Kit.jpg (19.52 KiB) Viewed 10403 times
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Re: It Begins! My M4A1 based Sherman Firefly Build.

Well, I elected to start the turret first being I had everything on hand. I am still awaiting bits and pieces for the bogie conversion to VVSS.

I started with the rotor sheild. As many may recognize this unit as one offered through Ethan at DAK. I also purchased the hull, M34A1 mantlet, as it is a good basis for a Firefly mantlet.
Fitted rotor sheild.jpg
Fitted rotor sheild.jpg (15.28 KiB) Viewed 10364 times
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

I completed the " smoke launcher" as well as cutting down the rear turret bustle to convert this to a low bustle turret.I replaced both antenna base mounts, the commander's coupola side correct for this version.
Attachments
The antenna mount filled and shapped with Miliput.
The antenna mount filled and shapped with Miliput.
Replaced antenna mout.jpg (16.54 KiB) Viewed 10363 times
The antena base was removed in part from the Tamiya's turret.
The antena base was removed in part from the Tamiya's turret.
Relocated loaders side antena mount filled.jpg (14.74 KiB) Viewed 10363 times
Bustle modification. Sheeted and shaped.
Bustle modification. Sheeted and shaped.
Blended plastic on rear bustle.jpg (22.41 KiB) Viewed 10363 times
Bomb thrower.jpg
Bomb thrower.jpg (12.81 KiB) Viewed 10363 times
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

I decided to make an ACCURATE Mantlet fitting of the 17 Pdr. I started with Nick Aguilar's M34 A1 and with a few 080 fillister head screws, Miliput and some Zap Poly glue and a bit of elbow grease I have a mantlet fitting the role.
Attachments
Firefly Mantlet and barrel side view.jpg
Firefly Mantlet and barrel side view.jpg (22.05 KiB) Viewed 10356 times
The lined out area must be removed. Do NOT cut straight across, but cut the chin off even with the face of the shield. Re-shape to follow the same curve.
The lined out area must be removed. Do NOT cut straight across, but cut the chin off even with the face of the shield. Re-shape to follow the same curve.
Completed Mantlet.jpg (24.53 KiB) Viewed 10356 times
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

I have been plugging away at the loader's hatch, the stop and some of the welds around the bullet splash shield.
Attachments
Turret from top.jpg
Turret from top.jpg (24.07 KiB) Viewed 10322 times
Loaders hatch filled in.jpg
Loaders hatch filled in.jpg (15.71 KiB) Viewed 10323 times
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Here is the completed loader's hatch with door stop and welds.
Attachments
Completed loaders hatch with welds.jpg
Completed loaders hatch with welds.jpg (11.21 KiB) Viewed 10290 times
Loaders hatch side view.jpg
Loaders hatch side view.jpg (15.72 KiB) Viewed 10290 times
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

I completed the latch and close lever and interior pads on the loader's hatch. I have decided to open a couple of the periscopes, so I am working on finding clear plastic to complete them. The thickest I have been able to find is .060, so I wound up cutting up a 3.5 disc box that is obsolete to make the periscopes.
Attachments
Open loaders hatch with latch and closer.jpg
Open loaders hatch with latch and closer.jpg (21.28 KiB) Viewed 10274 times
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi X82d Pathfinder,
You are doing great work at the moment and I look forward to seeing the future posts and pictures of your build.
Alb
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Hello, Alb.
Thank you for the compliment. I am finding that few Sherman "historians" agree on anything except the fact that they existed. Wartime production, depot modifications and rebuilds and expedient field repairs often keep anything from really being uniform. My grandfather made three of the four combat jumps the 82nd made during the WWII. I was looking through his photos and I noted the cast hull Firefly. They are listed as being produced, but it seems the pictures of the Firefly based on the Sherman II seems to be rather scarce in any form. You were the first to comment thus far. I was starting to wonder if I offended someone here in the forum.
Anyway, I will continue to post as I go. I look forward to sharing them and getting feedback on the build. This is my first major conversion/ Scratch build. Most of the conversions I have done have been in 1/35 scale and based on resin/photo etch kits. So a different venue all together in me. My intention is to do the Firefly, not something that resembles one. I am working on the brass support for the barrel which will recoil. The aluminum barrel offered from Tamiya/Impact isn't made to recoil, but has a huge lip that is designed just to be mounted to the M59 Mantlet.
I machined the odd ridge down so it should function reliably via the Tamiya recoil unit.
Anyway, thank you again for the encouragement.
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

Looks like you are off to a great start..keep up the good work :thumbup:
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~

Return to “Tamiya Builds”