Henschel King Tiger with Zimmerite film

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Saxondog
Captain

Henschel King Tiger with Zimmerite film

Post by Saxondog »

I've had this King Tiger for some time. It was purchased partially built, but I wanted to add the Tamiya Zimmerite and build it as an Early King Tiger. The film is not difficult to work with if some precautions are observed. Note the hull section with holes,slots or other features to help aline the Film.

On the turret I applied the film then sprayed with primer,on the lower hull I primed first then applied the zimmerite film. This is just the start, other details are planned after another primmer coat and base coat are applied.
Henschel King Tiger Zimmerite and Primer 017.JPG
Henschel King Tiger Zimmerite and Primer 018.JPG
Henschel King Tiger Zimmerite and Primer 020.JPG
Henschel King Tiger Zimmerite and Primer 025.JPG
Henschel King Tiger Zimmerite and Primer 024.JPG
DanL
Private

Re: Henschel King Tiger with Zimmerite film

Post by DanL »

Sax - the zim looks great. The Tamiya sheets are subtle and work really well. I used a heat gun to "burn-in" the adhesive - probably not necessary.
I read somewhere that the zim coating was only 5mm thick. In 1/16 scale, thats only 0.3mm, so the subtle Tamiya pattern is pretty accurate.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I am well pleased with the look of the film, only two area's were troublesome. The area around the hull mounted MG, and the rear hatch on the turret roof. The rest went on very well, and I did the turret sides without primer and the hull with primer. In both situations I did use heat to seal the film.

I agree about the thickness being scale is accurate. The look is accurate to me, now the painting starts and hopefully will look as good as the zimmerite?
majordisastor
Lance Corporal

Post by majordisastor »

Thats a very good rendition of the Zimm ....not an application I would have thoughtof using .....Well done !

Looking foreward to seeing it with some more paint on ...

Andy
It always gets darkest before it goes completley black......
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I will post some pics in a bit,used a different base color a bit glossy but that will tone down,going for the three color camo pattern of the S.Pz.ABT,503 or 101. Something just slightly different as I intend to make this my first tank not attached to Grossdeutschland.I have found a Porsche King Tiger from a Grossdeutschland company and will be painting my Porsche next.Unless someone has information of a Henschel equipped unit attached to Grossdeutschland? Sax

[attachment=0]King_Tiger_zimmerit_03.jpg[/attachment

I have also decided to use my spare King Tiger Hull,this way I have a completely primed hull,with a buff interior and tan exterior. I have the upgrade wheel bearings to install and will primmer the metal wheel sections and camo the plastic parts. It is just as much work to disassemble the lower I have so using the spare hull will be better as I can swap the parts as I disassemble them. Just a reminder Tamiya America still has King Tiger hulls for sale for 7.88us along with the bolt packs for 1.23us. Sax
Attachments
King_Tiger_zimmerit_03.jpg
tankmad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by tankmad »

This will be nice Sax looking forward to seeing it finnished I will race you :D
Stevie
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

You will win the race,I always get stuck with some detail. But if you lead I will follow.I have the paint and just need to work out the pattern. Do you use clay to make the pattern or just airbrush straight on? For me due to a shaking hand the clay works pretty good least it has on my Jagdpanther,and several ship models with the disruptive Atlantic patterns the battleships and cruisers were painted in.

This will be a challenge,but that is the fun part,hopefully I will take it slow and get it right,so far both my Tiger S13 and the Jagdpanther 313 were stripped of the first paint scheme and the second on was the finale. Just seem to of made a mess of it the first time,but considering I have 4 tanks and the Henschel is my thrid build I think I have done fairly well.

What pattern are you considering? cheers Sax
Spare hull base coat Henschel KT
Spare hull base coat Henschel KT
mixed batch 069.JPG
mixed batch 070.JPG
mixed batch 071.JPG
mixed batch 077.JPG
mixed batch 082.JPG
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Johnf »

Looking very good Saxondog. Would love a king tiger. Nice camo scheme. Is that from the tamiya instructions?
John
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Yes I think it is,my King Tigers were both purchased partially built,the Henschel lower hull was complete but nothing had been painted. The details on the back plate will be removed and the I can prime the Zimmerite on the plate and add a convoy light.I can then weather the exhaust and mod the pipes to actually work with a smoker.

The changing to my spare lower hull will mean I would now have completely started over from scratch. The paintwork will be a challenge and my friend DanL really convinced me to due this build,his was very well built and he did a great job weathering and the firing barrel is pretty cool effect as well. Thanks for looking John, cheers Blake
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Just thought I would mention That I purchased both my King Tigers from a member on this forum and from a post in the for sale section. I feel that I got a great deal both times so you never know what may be posted in that section,worth checking if anyone is in the market.Or just to take a look from time to time as good deals seem to have a habit of happening in the for sale section.

Saxondog
Henschel and Porsche King Tiger Twins under construction
Henschel and Porsche King Tiger Twins under construction

Return to “Tamiya Builds”