Henschel King Tiger with Zimmerite film

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
mt 1
Staff Sergeant

Re: Henschel King Tiger with Zimmerite film

Post by mt 1 »

saxondog nice camo paint,before i fitted my tow cables together with the cable ends,i heated up the metal wire on the gas ring until it went a dull red then placed the cables out side for a week in the rain.
Attachments
BILD0022.JPG
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Excellent point about the cable weathering, I have another issue,typically the cable clamp is painted the base color of the vehicle,was this in fact correct?

It would seem they would be painted at the cable factory and shipped to the tank factory ready to install,so who knows the answer because the factory would not paint the tank with the support equipment installed.

I feel that gunmetal Gray or a Gray is the right color,but I'm just guessing?
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Blanket runs, you can drive these things in other places,I had no idea. Shelf queens included? :haha: :thumbup:
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

hi blake ,one thing, if shes a very late war kt, they didnt have the jack or the jack blook installed , plus they had the 18 tooth front sprocket and the new single pin tracks , either way shes looking good
cliff
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Found some time next week to try and progress with this tank, Cliff the 18tooth sprockets will have to be a future purchase,both my King Tigers have the 9tooth sprockets with the Tamiya tracks.

I was discussing this with another modeller who seemed very sure that the late war King Tigers carried these and the tracks are different?

For now the budget does not allow me to purchase the correct set for the Henschel, the Porsche is mainly a shelf Queen so will retain the Tamiya factory 9-tooth sprockets and tracks.

The paintwork was stopped just before the Future shine floor polish stage, After a recent message from another member who is mixing a Matte clear coat with the Future shine floor polish I decided to follow his example.

The cables are just sick,I did purchase this kit partially started and the silver paint is blinding, but I can use the cable ends with the real steel cable I purchased locally,I THINK i will try the heating,rusting method described by mt1
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Some of the differences can be seen,the turret ring mainly.
Porsche lower hull
Porsche lower hull
Henschel Lower Hull
Henschel Lower Hull
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Recently with some help I was able to finally try the Tamiya base/Johnson floor polish mixture to seal and try to get the Matte/flat finish I wanted on this Henschel King Tiger.

It has been sprayed with three coats applied with low PSI and a light mist,drying between coats was about an hour,and this morning I used the Hair dryer to make sure all is well. Here are a few pictures. Still much to do,but the main pattern and paintwork is sealed and completed.The Zimmerit film is clearly scene,the back plate has only the New mixture on it,which seems very Matte/Flat.
Porsche King Tiger Project III 004.JPG
Porsche King Tiger Project III 005.JPG
Porsche King Tiger Project III 009.JPG
Porsche King Tiger Project III 011.JPG
Porsche King Tiger Project III 012.JPG
STEINER
Sergeant

Post by STEINER »

Firstly I like the camo scheme you have applied there Sax, Unique. Secondly thats a neat flat finish you have applied, Im pleased the spraying went well. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Do you realize how much I hate this uniform and all it stands for. ( Cross of Iron )
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Thanks for your help,it really gave me the confidence to just "go for it" :D
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

One Point has been raised about my use of more than three colors,from my point of view this is nothing more than in the field application using different levels of thinner paint,and the use of this method to create a tank that could be hidden in largely wooded area,and during the Dec.1944.

Many of the pictures of Ardennes King Tigers listed in the books by Osprey Fighting Armor of WWII Series ,King Tiger Heavy Tank 1942-1945 are done in multiple color schemes,different shades of Dark Yellow,Red Brown and Green appear as different colors which are in some cases older paintwork beside newer paintwork.

Really without the benefit of color photos of the tanks during their service life an exactly accurate portrayal seems unlikely.So I just went for it.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”