1:16 Sherman convert to "Oddball's" tank

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
sparks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

1:16 Sherman convert to "Oddball's" tank

Post by sparks »

This will be a slow build as I work for myself and always seem to have something to do around the house, but I will do my best. Have got several ideas on the project and have accumilated many aftermarket parts, as I have had this kit for about 5 years.
I will be adding main gun recoil using the MF-03 unit, and have a 1:16 scale Oddball figure to sit in the commander hatch.I will be fitting the obligatory battle system too.
Since joining this forum, I am now aware of the different suspension system on Oddballs tank
(Thanks Mark ;) ) But don't think that will be getting done at this stage.
Well, here goes.
First it was out with the Dremel to cut out the engine deck, then tidy the edges with modeling knife and files.
Then cut some lengths of Evergreen strip to form support for the new deck, fixed them in place with Platic Weld.
First test fit of new engine deck looks pretty good, even if I say so myself :{
All my other tanks have at least the drivers hatch that opens, so while I was in cutting out mode
decided to do the drivers and gunners hatches.
So after a few sharp blades, a lot of patience, and a couple of bloody fingers :wtf: they were out and I will form a similar plastic support and hinge them.
Still awaiting delivery of the front fan cover, an aftermarket part that I hadn't seen until recently, and that will be the next thing to cut out.
Hey man....I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Woof woof woof !
fleshpedler
Sergeant

Re: 1:16 Sherman convert to "Oddball's" tank

Post by fleshpedler »

Hi Alan,
Don,t let it get as complex as my firefly build ,but enjoy it all the same..
Fleshy........
http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =21&t=4743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =33&t=5278" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pcomm1
Corporal

Post by Pcomm1 »

Where are you buying the Oddball figure from?
Last edited by Pcomm1 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pcomm1
Corporal

Post by Pcomm1 »

Looking forward to following your Sherman build! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Just my 2 cents: I would suggest passing on the Mato Sherman M4 VVSS Suspension modification to your Tamiya Sherman M4 Kit (grafting on the Mato Sherman Suspension & Tracks to the Tamiya Sherman Hull). If your going to use your tank as a battle unit, lawn - garden, runner, fighter; just don't do that' 'cause your taking years off your models life span.

Even the pretty good Sherman modelers don't really achieve much success with this mod. While looking kinda good for a clunky scale VVSS; the modification fails to deliver in matching the stock Tamiya Sherman kits already excellent suspension durability performance. All in all it seems a pretty good way to ruin your fine Tamiya Sherman Kit. Good, reliable RC operation beats quasi-realism when your engaged in a backyard fight. :haha: :haha: :haha:

But you know that! Visit: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =21&t=3958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John
Attachments
Mato-Sherman-Conversion.jpg
Mato-Sherman-Conversion.jpg (78.51 KiB) Viewed 8824 times
sparks

Post by sparks »

Hi John,
Thanks for that interesting information about the Mato convert, I was going to look for more info on it, but it was only a thought. Now that you've said that I will stick with the Tamiya HVSS
and claim artistic licence. ;)
BTW the Oddball figure comes from a guy called Shaun, he runs a site called "Tanks & Trolls"
He does lots of tank commanders (see some of my pics in Show Off section), they are resin cast and you can buy them painted or not.
Cheers
Alan
Woof woof woof !
sparks

Post by sparks »

Got a couple of hours in today so carried on with drivers and gunners hatches.
Used some 0.4mm clear sheet from Evergreen for its flexability (and I had some kicking around in the garage :haha: ), cut rough shape and fixed to the inside with Plastic Weld (I love that stuff :D )
Out with the Dremel again, cut out the shape of the opening leaving a small ledge, then slapped on a bit of olive drap.
Here are the hatches sitting in place, ready for fitting of hinges.
Back soon :wave:
Woof woof woof !
grim_marmazet
Staff Sergeant

Post by grim_marmazet »

Pcomm1 wrote:Looking forward to following your Sherman build! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Just my 2 cents: I would suggest passing on the Mato Sherman M4 VVSS Suspension modification to your Tamiya Sherman M4 Kit (grafting on the Mato Sherman Suspension & Tracks to the Tamiya Sherman Hull). If your going to use your tank as a battle unit, lawn - garden, runner, fighter; just don't do that' 'cause your taking years off your models life span.

Even the pretty good Sherman modelers don't really achieve much success with this mod. While looking kinda good for a clunky scale VVSS; the modification fails to deliver in matching the stock Tamiya Sherman kits already excellent suspension durability performance. All in all it seems a pretty good way to ruin your fine Tamiya Sherman Kit. Good, reliable RC operation beats quasi-realism when your engaged in a backyard fight. :haha: :haha: :haha:

But you know that! Visit: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =21&t=3958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John
I very much have to disagree with you there John. I've modded the VVSS suspension from a Mato kit onto my Tamiya. They now work completely prototypically, and are completely solid. I run my Sherman nearly everyday, and the bogies perform perfectly, and look correct for a Normandy Sherman.
The HVSS set in the Tamiya kit is very good, but they were in such limited numbers in the war.

The only problem I have with the Mato bogies, is the wheels are slightly oversized, but i'm sure some inventive aftermarket company will release some new ones eventually.

Sparks, you can see how I converted the Mato bogies in my build thread here;
http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =21&t=5156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
Rik
sparks

Post by sparks »

Hi Rik,
Fantastic build, are there any vids of her running ? I really would like to do the suspension mod if it runs OK.
What parts do I need and where do I get them ? Rough idea of cost.
Cheer
Alan
Woof woof woof !
grim_marmazet
Staff Sergeant

Post by grim_marmazet »

You'll need a lower hull from a Mato Sherman, contact forgebear on here, he'll be able to sort you out. The saddle clamps I got from ebay, they're the hardest bit to find.
You will need 1 extra track link per side as the Tamiya hull is slightly longer.

The rest of the parts came from the Tamiya kit, the steel tubes, springs, and conical springs are all parts for the HVSS suspension.

I don't have any video at the moment i'm afraid, the battery and receiver from the Sherman went into my Panther. The Sherman is in the workshop to rework the elevation and recoil, as they seem to be a bit sticky.

Any questions, feel fre to send me a PM! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Rik
sparks

Post by sparks »

Another short burst tonight.
Drilled 1.5mm holes through centre of all 3 hinge plates.
Cut short pieces of brass rod.
Passed through hinge plates and glued into plates attatched to hatches leaving the centre hinge free.
Don't know how far they would open on prototype, but mine open right over ???
Back soon :wave:
Woof woof woof !

Return to “Tamiya Builds”