Used ebay Tamiya 1/35 Centurion Mk III with Toy G UM gear

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
modler
Corporal

Used ebay Tamiya 1/35 Centurion Mk III with Toy G UM gear

Post by modler »

I saw this on ebay last year and snagged it for about $50 used including shipping. I bought it just to get the twin 130 motor all metal gearbox for another project. I opened the box and was surprised at the build of this model with its "wash job" and paint detail with correct decals and decided to "fix it up" a bit a see how it runs with a simple toy grade 2 cell 2 channel 27 mhz radio setup.

First I had to repair the left track and reattach the front track idle wheel which was missing some parts. After some time I managed to get the tracks back on the Tank then added noise capacitors to each motor as they are not installed or included with the "wired remote control system" then wired the motors with 1.5 mm micro JST connectors so I could connect a single 1.2 v Ni-mh batterie to the motors and test them and the tracks after repairs and see what happens.

Well they worked just fine so next step is to hook up a cheap Toy Grade Ultra Micro 2 channel receiver for some radio remote control action! 8) The TGUM radio gear receiver has 2 ESC's built in the receiver so it is 1 small circuit board and uses a TG 2 channel Universal Drive configuration Transmitter, Cost was $20 2 decades ago. Yes this radio gear is over 20 years old but still performs like new and though it is old Tech, works perfectly fine for Table Top Tank operation :D

The outcome was very good and the model runs so well with this cheap setup that I just left it that way for now. Have been running every since and like the simplicity and reliability of this setup.
Attachments
All elements of this tank.
All elements of this tank.
IMG_7970.JPG (75.79 KiB) Viewed 797 times
IMG_7969.JPG
IMG_7969.JPG (63.7 KiB) Viewed 797 times
IMG_7968.JPG
IMG_7968.JPG (68.49 KiB) Viewed 797 times
1/35 Centurion Mk III radio remote controlled Tank
1/35 Centurion Mk III radio remote controlled Tank
IMG_7967.jpg (36.08 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Last edited by modler on Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Corporal

Re: Used ebay Tamiya 1/35 Centurian Mk III with cheap TG UM

Post by modler »

The Toy grade Ultra Micro radio gear used in this tank is very small and would be difficult to match its small foot print with modern gear unless you buy expensive UM Hobby Grade gear and wire it yourself which involves a good deal of soldering of UM connectors and such. The time to build just a 2 channel UM HG system is considerable and requires HG soldering equipment as well. So, you can see why I like these cheap TG radio systems that are pretty easy to mod for Hobby grade use.
Attachments
ready for "battle speed"
ready for "battle speed"
IMG_7991.JPG (92.03 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Right track repaired. snapped in two. Staples used to repair. works like new.
Right track repaired. snapped in two. Staples used to repair. works like new.
IMG_7985.JPG (82.59 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Left front track idle wheel repair. Axle and hub lock missing in action.
Left front track idle wheel repair. Axle and hub lock missing in action.
I bought this used tank on ebay just to get this rare all metal gearbox. These things can not be beat and mount in a lot of Tamiya models without mods to the model. There are about 5 different gearboxes. The 5 types have differences in width and length of the axles, mounting screw location, and motor type (round or square 130)
I bought this used tank on ebay just to get this rare all metal gearbox. These things can not be beat and mount in a lot of Tamiya models without mods to the model. There are about 5 different gearboxes. The 5 types have differences in width and length of the axles, mounting screw location, and motor type (round or square 130)
2 cell (2.2v( for scale speed, 1s (3.3-4.2) for battle speed! On\Off switch and battery can be run on the inside of the tank as well as outside. I do not leave batteries inside of my Tanks when not in use so you will see them on the outside of my models most times unless I am doing a video or such.
2 cell (2.2v( for scale speed, 1s (3.3-4.2) for battle speed! On\Off switch and battery can be run on the inside of the tank as well as outside. I do not leave batteries inside of my Tanks when not in use so you will see them on the outside of my models most times unless I am doing a video or such.
IMG_7987.JPG (64.22 KiB) Viewed 750 times
No one talks much about motor noise suppressor capacitors but they are required for best performance of any radio system regardless if new or old tech. I have found this configuration will improve performance of most any radio system.
No one talks much about motor noise suppressor capacitors but they are required for best performance of any radio system regardless if new or old tech. I have found this configuration will improve performance of most any radio system.
IMG_7977.JPG (98.86 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Top view of the receiver with 1.5 male\female JST connectors added. Now it is Plug and play and can be removed and or switched to another model in minutes. The on\off switch\LED is also PNP and is optional. If running in scale mode, switch is not used and battery is connected directly to receiver and mounted inside the tank for scale appearance in videos and such..
Top view of the receiver with 1.5 male\female JST connectors added. Now it is Plug and play and can be removed and or switched to another model in minutes. The on\off switch\LED is also PNP and is optional. If running in scale mode, switch is not used and battery is connected directly to receiver and mounted inside the tank for scale appearance in videos and such..
IMG_7974.JPG (63.54 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Even though it came from a toy grade model, it is ULTRA MICRO and when it comes to radio gear that means EXPENSIVE so IMO it is worth the effort to mod these inexpensive radios to Hobby Grade use simply be adding the appropriate connectors.
Even though it came from a toy grade model, it is ULTRA MICRO and when it comes to radio gear that means EXPENSIVE so IMO it is worth the effort to mod these inexpensive radios to Hobby Grade use simply be adding the appropriate connectors.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”