Tamiya 1/35 Panzer II HG UM radio gear now with video

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
modler
Sergeant

Tamiya 1/35 Panzer II HG UM radio gear now with video

Post by modler »

Ok finally got a video of the Panzer II here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7isRoZk3EE

Panzer II with Ultra Micro Hobby Grade radio gear...Not much room in this tank for anything less :)

This is one of the smallest 1/35 scale German Tanks available as a 1/35 scale model. It is available as a motorized version although I have never seen one with the gearbox. Being that it is capable of being motorized, it is a little easier to mod for motorized radio remote control as apposed to ones that were never equipped with any kind of gearbox. The chassis and sprockets are different on the motorized version of any Tamiya 1/35 Tank as far as I know.

Anyway, this Panzer II has been modded to radio remote control dual motor gearbox. There is only one stock dual motor Tamiya gearbox that fits the chassis with a bit of persuasion 8) Being this tank is so small, it is more difficult than most to upgrade to full radio control.

I used a gearbox from a Sherman M4E8 which is a narrow gearbox with narrow 130 motors.

More on that later. for now I am going to discuss the UM (Ultra Micro) radio gear which is Ultra Micro 1s gear.
Attachments
Tiger II, Panzer II, Panzer III
Tiger II, Panzer II, Panzer III
on\off switch is visible here.
on\off switch is visible here.
Its a bird, a plane...no its a Tank but no icon for a Tank in this TX. DSMX protocol.
Its a bird, a plane...no its a Tank but no icon for a Tank in this TX. DSMX protocol.
Computer TX provides the mixing and model memory in the DSM 255 memory TX.
Computer TX provides the mixing and model memory in the DSM 255 memory TX.
IMG_7933.JPG (95.22 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
IMG_7932.JPG
with this UM gear, there is still room for a battery in this very small chassis
with this UM gear, there is still room for a battery in this very small chassis
Tamiya narrow metal twin motor gearbox. Nothing beats these things. easy to swap motors too and fits the motorized version track sprockets. You can tell this chassis has a motorized version available because of the battery symbols inside the chassis.
Tamiya narrow metal twin motor gearbox. Nothing beats these things. easy to swap motors too and fits the motorized version track sprockets. You can tell this chassis has a motorized version available because of the battery symbols inside the chassis.
4 elements in this setup.
4 elements in this setup.
Das Mikro 1s 5amp ESC with LVC.
Das Mikro 1s 5amp ESC with LVC.
DSMX 5 channel rx with two ESC's all designed to run on 1s cell. ESC's have built in LVC.
DSMX 5 channel rx with two ESC's all designed to run on 1s cell. ESC's have built in LVC.
Last edited by modler on Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
modler
Sergeant

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Panzer II with Ultra Micro radio gear.

Post by modler »

I have about 7 1/35 German r\c Tanks with similar radio setups. The DX-6e Transmitter I use has 255 model memories and I plan to use everyone of those slots 8)
Attachments
I actually bought two of these M-10 Remote control Tanks on ebay to get the gearboxes.
I actually bought two of these M-10 Remote control Tanks on ebay to get the gearboxes.
IMG_7963.JPG (94.44 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
I used the gearbox from this model in the PanzerI II. It is the "narrow" or smallest dual motor gearbox used in the Tamiya 1.35 series "Remote control Tank" models
I used the gearbox from this model in the PanzerI II. It is the "narrow" or smallest dual motor gearbox used in the Tamiya 1.35 series "Remote control Tank" models
7 German Tanks in my 1/35 scale collection.
7 German Tanks in my 1/35 scale collection.
This Panzer II is new in the box. Got them on ebay for $20.00 apiece.
This Panzer II is new in the box. Got them on ebay for $20.00 apiece.
IMG_7957.JPG (98.72 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Panzer II with Hobby grade U-Micro radio gea

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"The DX-6e Transmitter I use has 255 model memories and I plan to use everyone of those slots." Yeah! That's the spirit!
Would the U-Micro radio gear be limited as to voltage, such that the 7.2/7.4 for most 1/16 tanks cause damage? I can see that, in addition to great 1/35 RC tanks like yours, much smaller electronics would be useful for larger scales. By comparison, US-made O-Gauge trains led the way in electronics because they offered some room (although still packed tightly). Soon miniaturized, lower-voltage electronics made electronics possible in HO (and even O Gauge was improved by further miniaturized electronics).
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:"The DX-6e Transmitter I use has 255 model memories and I plan to use everyone of those slots." Yeah! That's the spirit!
Would the U-Micro radio gear be limited as to voltage, such that the 7.2/7.4 for most 1/16 tanks cause damage? I can see that, in addition to great 1/35 RC tanks like yours, much smaller electronics would be useful for larger scales. By comparison, US-made O-Gauge trains led the way in electronics because they offered some room (although still packed tightly). Soon miniaturized, lower-voltage electronics made electronics possible in HO (and even O Gauge was improved by further miniaturized electronics).

Back in 1990, I designed a HO system for a company I was working for at that time, That would allow multiple trains on a single track to be controlled by a single speed controller. It was micro computer controlled. That design made me want to include trains in my Hobby collection but decided to go radio control planes instead.

The electronics featured in this thread are limited to 1s Lipo voltages 3.3-4.2 V.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thanks: I was guessing lower voltage because the late MTH trains went to 3.2 volts with their microelectronics.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Thanks: I was guessing lower voltage because the late MTH trains went to 3.2 volts with their microelectronics.
The Tamiya Centurion Mk III thread in this forum

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33228

uses a 2 cell Ni-mh batterie which operates @ 2.2-3.2 volts in the radio of that Centurion model., I have several of these older radio setups that came from Toy grade (TG) car and trucks and such.

Actually that TG radio system has a very wide range of voltage operation. 2.2-5.0 volts.

When I run the Centurion on a table top, I run the 2 cell batterie to limit the speed so as to not drive off the edge :O But if I am quite alert and ready for more speed I switch to 4.2 V lipo. I have several 1/35 tanks that can be operated this way.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

modler wrote:
Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Thanks: I was guessing lower voltage because the late MTH trains went to 3.2 volts with their microelectronics.
The Tamiya Centurion Mk III thread in this forum

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33228

uses a 2 cell Ni-mh batterie which operates @ 2.2-3.2 volts in the radio of that Centurion model., I have several of these older radio setups that came from Toy grade (TG) car and trucks and such.

Actually that TG radio system has a very wide range of voltage operation. 2.2-5.0 volts.

When I run the Centurion on a table top, I run the 2 cell batterie to limit the speed so as to not drive off the edge :O But if I am quite alert and ready for more speed I switch to 4.2 V lipo. I have several 1/35 tanks that can be operated this way.

These TG radios are very robust and can last for DECADES! I have one that is 42 years old and still works perfect. At one time HG radios were very expensive so I figured out how to use R/C Toys radio EQ in my models to save a fair amount of money. Why? because I have a lot of models lol.
modler
Sergeant

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Panzer II Hobby grade Ultra Micro radio gear

Post by modler »

I did some Fleet Maintenance yesterday on the Panzer II and decided it was time to do a Video of the Panzer II. This Tank can go pretty fast and has excellent track control. I have a MTM gearbox setup that I will install in the next one.

Ok finally got a video of the Panzer II here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7isRoZk3EE
Attachments
IMG_8297.JPG
IMG_8297.JPG (81.85 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
IMG_8296.JPG
IMG_8296.JPG (91.48 KiB) Viewed 1173 times

Return to “Tamiya Builds”