Tamiya Centurion

Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Tamiya Centurion

Post by Soeren »

Good morning wonderful people. I was curious about this tank kit, so I gave it a go. The kit looks great. Detail oob is ok. I wonder though, if I should buy Anregerinnen kit from afv club to identify additional details. But this made wouldn’t be necessary until the upper hull and turret will be approached.

So the beginning of the suspension it is. I didn’t actually know, that the hull had angled sides. That was unexpected and I first thought something was wrong :{
This is also my first tank model not having torsion bar suspension and there are quite some parts that go into the individual suspension units. I looks like it is working fine after doing one of these. Painting would be tricky though, to reach all the angles. I will see whether I will have to take it apart again or just go at it with black as far as it reaches into the units for a shadow effect.
Attachments
8A6AEA09-4926-4839-8A26-29EF66EDDD2B.jpeg
8A6AEA09-4926-4839-8A26-29EF66EDDD2B.jpeg (94.58 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
So many parts!!! :)
So many parts!!! :)
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Tamiya Centurion

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Glad your back in the game Mr S, and certainly a hell of a tank to make your comeback with too ;)
I actually saw one of these today, completed & running ready for paint.
Was hugely impressed.
I expected the quality to be typically high Tamiya, but the gearbox hub reduction units, new electronics and that suspension were very special.

Only criticism was the mantlet cover which for the RC version looked awful.
The owner is looking to use a shotgun cleaning patch material with a cross cut in the front for the gun penetration that then can be retained by dental braces rubber band(s) to hold the thing in place around the 20pdr barrel.

Ran like a Rolls, sounded great and was a very imposing sized model in 16th scale. Effortless turns made on carpet.

Be great to see what you do with it :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Watching along before I tackle mine :)
OldWolf
Recruit

Post by OldWolf »

I, too, will be eagerly following your build as I wait for the one I have on order.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Today i start the build of my Tamiya Centurion too.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

The build is straightforward. I am almost done with the running gear. Build the gearboxes today and started on the final drives. Some oddities, the return rollers get no hub caps for some reason. Well, I guess it is because they wanna cover those with the side skirts. But what if I don’t want to mount those.
Some nice feature is the echt electronics bay, a tray of metal bracing the back section of the tank also covering the gearboxes. Together with the front lower plate and the back plate which are both lined with a metal brace is feels like a well made lower hull. I like that.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Glad your back in the game Mr S, and certainly a hell of a tank to make your comeback with too ;)
I actually saw one of these today, completed & running ready for paint.
Was hugely impressed.
I expected the quality to be typically high Tamiya, but the gearbox hub reduction units, new electronics and that suspension were very special.

Only criticism was the mantlet cover which for the RC version looked awful.
The owner is looking to use a shotgun cleaning patch material with a cross cut in the front for the gun penetration that then can be retained by dental braces rubber band(s) to hold the thing in place around the 20pdr barrel.

Ran like a Rolls, sounded great and was a very imposing sized model in 16th scale. Effortless turns made on carpet.

Be great to see what you do with it :thumbup:
Hey there Herman,
Build the gearboxes and one side final drive, I wonder what the problem is with those. Maintenance can be a bit tricky maybe. But it has a full ball bearing and metal support for the sprocket axles. Features that we need to buy as aftermarket parts on other tanks.

Wish you guys as much fun buildings this kit as I had this weekend.

This is where she stands right now.
Attachments
C65B420C-87F5-4B5F-BF20-7C226D547314.jpeg
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

I am one step ahead.
I have already pre-painted:
TamCent04.jpg
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Hey there JHamm, that is great. I hope you enjoy the build as much as I do. I have to take it slowly atm, only a few hours on the weekends maybe.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

yes,
it's a easy build.
Everything fits perfectly.
Spend some time for additional details:
TamCent13.jpg
TamCent16.jpg

Return to “Modern Builds”