M26 Pershing - 1/16 Tamiya Full option

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
RZMAUS45
Recruit

Re: M26 Pershing - 1/16 Tamiya Full option

Post by RZMAUS45 »

Wow, looks good so far. Thanks for sharing your progress!!!
sstudley
Recruit

Post by sstudley »

Another step in the painting process. Olive drab base coat is down, along with nato black around gun ports, spare tracks and the MA-Deuce. More detail to come.
Attachments
IMG_0655_large.JPG
IMG_0654_large.JPG
IMG_0653_large.JPG
IMG_0651_large.JPG
sstudley
Recruit

Post by sstudley »

RZMAUS45 wrote:Wow, looks good so far. Thanks for sharing your progress!!!
Thank you!
sstudley
Recruit

Post by sstudley »

Hello comrades,
Needless to say, if you are looking closely at my pictures, I'm learning as I go. I've noticed that some of my fitment isn't what I would consider to be acceptable. I've also moved too quickly on prepping, sanding and parts cleanup, much too quickly. In short, there's some pretty shoddy workmanship here. One thing I believe I have discovered, is my amount of cement isn't near enough. I've built lots of models over the years, but this is the first where I have to assemble motors, gears, rubber wheels, screws and RC equipment after I have assembled the base model. I'm breaking and separating parts that have long since been glued. To get to the chase here, I'm thinking of sand off the base coat along the seem in the two main pieces to the turret, applying some Tamiya putty to smooth out the fitment and repainting. Not the entire turret, just along the fitment seem about 5-10mm either side. See the pictures below. Any thoughts on that? One other question, I would like a rather hard, durable clear coat to seal the paint. Any favorite products and or technique suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0664_large.JPG
IMG_066_large.JPG
IMG_0665_large.JPG
sstudley
Recruit

Post by sstudley »

Another coat of base olive drab. Did some touchup to various spots. Put the decals on the ammo and the K-rations. Several spots I'm not happy with. First, the ceramic insulator on the short wave radio antenna, currently red, needs to be fixed. The actual color, at least according to John at East Coast Armory, should be a reddish Bakelite. As far as the clear coat goes, I have automotive clears that could be used. I have both urethane and lacquer clears and I am considering using the urethane on the Pershing.
Attachments
IMG_0699_large.JPG
IMG_0697_large.JPG
IMG_0695_large.JPG
IMG_0683_large.jpg
IMG_0681_large.JPG
IMG_0679_large.JPG
sstudley
Recruit

Post by sstudley »

Started the electronics this past Saturday. Here are a few pics of the progress.
Attachments
IMG_0715_Large.JPG
IMG_0714_Large.JPG
IMG_0712_Large.JPG
IMG_0709_Large.JPG
IMG_0708_Large.JPG
IMG_0707_Large.JPG
IMG_0706_Large.JPG
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Actually, the base coat of OD may have helped you see the seams to which you refer. I find that a primer coat usually shows me all my horrible errors and sends me back with sanding tools. I have used Testor's Clear Coat for years, but it may only be available in the US. Other modelers have said that the lacquers yellow after a while, but I have not seen it. Clear flat Acrylics are available that are said not to yellow. Vallejo makes one, as do other brands. One thing: too many coats of clear flat start to create a glossy appearance.

There, now I've told you everything you knew already. :/
sstudley
Recruit

Post by sstudley »

Well that's some good info, that I didn't already know! ;) I am relatively new to the 1/16 RC world, so getting pointers like yours are very helpful. My concern wrt to varnish has to do with longevity and durability. I would like something that prevents chipping and scratching to whatever extent possible and maintains the look of authenticity for hopefully many years. Up until now, I have struggled to get a nice (flat or gloss) clear, through my airbrush. Recently, I have watched a couple of YouTube videos, specifically using Mr. Color flat clear with leveling thinner <- the part I'm probably missing in most of my attempts. If that combo doesn't get me where I want to go, it's on to Testor's to give that a whirl! Thank you for the advice!

Steve
Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Actually, the base coat of OD may have helped you see the seams to which you refer. I find that a primer coat usually shows me all my horrible errors and sends me back with sanding tools. I have used Testor's Clear Coat for years, but it may only be available in the US. Other modelers have said that the lacquers yellow after a while, but I have not seen it. Clear flat Acrylics are available that are said not to yellow. Vallejo makes one, as do other brands. One thing: too many coats of clear flat start to create a glossy appearance.

There, now I've told you everything you knew already. :/
sstudley
Recruit

Post by sstudley »

Hey folks, I'm having a hellava time getting the wires organized and laid down so I can close to the upper and lower hulls. I would love it if somebody in the forum has a special secret that will make this step happen for me. But I suspect there's no magic here. Gonna have to continue with the trial and error.

I finally got the speaker to sit flat against the lower hull. That was a feat in itself ;) I have another bug to fix, the gun elevation is stuck. I elevated up, wondering how it would handle hitting the upper limit. Well, I got my answer! I'm not taking that dogbone armature apart, it took me days to get in assembled the first time! I will post a few more pictures and a movie. If anybody has any suggestions for me, I'm all ears!

Thanks!
Steve
Attachments
IMG_0732_large.JPG
IMG_0731_large.JPG
IMG_0730_large.JPG
Rolling Thunder tech
Recruit

Post by Rolling Thunder tech »

This will be a great to help to me for my first Pershing build

Return to “Tamiya Builds”