Tamiya 1/35 Pz. III L RC conversion

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
modler
Sergeant

Re: Tamiya 1/35 Pz. III L RC conversion

Post by modler »

philbibbey wrote:The road wheels and track guid wheels had to be modified for movement. The stock kit had these items glued in place.

For the road wheels I used some 1/32 piano wire that was small yet strong enough to attach the road wheels. If I was to do this again I would also use some small tubing to help secure the piano wire like a bearing sleeve. The suspension arms had the plastic axles cut off and drilled out to allow the piano wire to fit through. Some homemade securing nuts were made from plastic sheet and glued on the back side. (Not pictured) before I secured the road wheels and track guide wheels I tested out the rubber band tracks to make sure everything was spinning freely and as always making sure track alignment was good.

Up next is the motors. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just noticed this picture with the mods to the road wheels, yes there is a problem with the road wheels on this model. I went a different way to solve this but looks like you may have a better solution.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

philbibbey and modler:

"I will do a new thread on it in this forum if any interest." Yes, there's any interest from me. Even though I do 1/16, I watch carefully because I am learning to use small electronics.
"Might get use a smaller 3ch receiver." Would a 3 channel receiver be physically smaller? Hmm...
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:philbibbey and modler:

"I will do a new thread on it in this forum if any interest." Yes, there's any interest from me. Even though I do 1/16, I watch carefully because I am learning to use small electronics.
"Might get use a smaller 3ch receiver." Would a 3 channel receiver be physically smaller? Hmm...

The answer is not necessarily. You just have to use a Ultra Micro receiver, ESC's, connectors.
The Tank I show here has a small 6 channel DSM2 rx with external twin UM Esc's. They run on a small 1 cell Li-polymer. As soon as possible I will post info on UM radio gear that I use in small 1/35 models in a new thread in this forum soon.
Attachments
6 channel rx with twin ECS's has small foot print and perfect for this1/35 scale Tank. Uses 2 pin 1.5 mm micro JST connectors. Full size red JST connectors are overkill for models this small and take up a lot of room.
6 channel rx with twin ECS's has small foot print and perfect for this1/35 scale Tank. Uses 2 pin 1.5 mm micro JST connectors. Full size red JST connectors are overkill for models this small and take up a lot of room.
Panzer III has a small DSM2 6 channel RX from a Heli with 2 UM 1s ESC's and a small 1 cell lipo. This Tank will run wide open for 15 minutes with this 150 mah 1s lipo.
Panzer III has a small DSM2 6 channel RX from a Heli with 2 UM 1s ESC's and a small 1 cell lipo. This Tank will run wide open for 15 minutes with this 150 mah 1s lipo.
King Tiger, Panzer III, PanzerII. A small sample of 1/35 Tanks in my collection. The Panzer II has a Ultra Micro radio setup because that is all that will fit in there.
King Tiger, Panzer III, PanzerII. A small sample of 1/35 Tanks in my collection. The Panzer II has a Ultra Micro radio setup because that is all that will fit in there.
modler
Sergeant

Re: Tamiya SDM 1/35 Panzer. III f,L HG RC conversion

Post by modler »

Well, I did it again, I thought this was my thread and posted this info here, Looks like I don't have my own Panzer III thread :{
I apologize for the mistake but will leave this info here unless the thread owner tell be to "bug out" ;)

SDM - Static Display Model

Says on the box ACCURATE STATIC DISPLAY MODEL

These SDM models are pretty tricky to convert to any type of Remote control.

1. No gearbox mount
2. Sprockets do not fit standard gearbox. Moderate modification required to fit standard Tamiya gearbox Axles.
3. Axles openings need to be cut in as they are different on this model and not workable as is with standard gearbox Axles.
4. Road wheels have no polymer bushings and have a lot of play and are meant to be glued in place and require tedious mods to work with the suppled road wheel Axles.
5. Track supplied in Kit is different composition of materials than that of the motorized track versions. Softer rubber which gets too much traction and causes tracks to throw off during tight turns.
6. No body mounts to the chassis supplied in kit. It says in the instructions to glue the upper hull to the lower hull.

other than that its a piece of cake :/

I figured out how to do a video and drive the tank in the video 8) So now I will be doing more videos :D

I programed in a mix that allows me to drive the tank mostly hands free with just a few yaw commands now and then. The mix allows the tank to keep a constant low speed setting that allows me to hold the camera in the other hand.

So now is the long awaited video of the SDM Panzer III

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYl7ut1os40

I made a mistake in the video when I said it is a "dual motor metal gearbox" It is actually a dual motor plastic gearbox with metal parts in it like the drive axles. The GB is from an 1/35 Academy M60 ad fits perfectly in the chassis. Some mods requires to the Track Sprockets and Axle openings in the lower Hull or chassis.
Attachments
ACCURATE STATIC DISPLAY MODEL
ACCURATE STATIC DISPLAY MODEL
IMG_8132.JPG

Return to “Tamiya Builds”