Vintage King Tiger Rebuild

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!

Postby PNW Paul » Mon May 31, 2021 4:45 am

Hello everyone, picked this early 80s clutch drive King Tiger at an estate sale a few days ago and have commenced stripping it down, cleaning it up and am going to attempt to update it with modern drive train and electronics. Here she is as I recieved her. Broken muzzle and some damage to the rear exhaust and rear plate, original esc looks to have caught fire at some point but its not staying anyways.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
PNW Paul
Recruit

Postby PNW Paul » Mon May 31, 2021 4:48 am

After some disassembly and clean up tonight. Now its time to do some research and source some parts. Unfortunately a lot of Tamiya factory parts are marked discontinued so getting ahold of a few things may be challenging.

Last edited by PNW Paul on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
PNW Paul
Recruit

Postby PainlessWolf » Mon May 31, 2021 5:21 am

Good Evening,
I love seeing these old beasts refurbished and put back into service. There should be a few of the type here on the Forum for you to pore over and look for parts sources. The clutch drive alone on these tanks is a minor mechanical marvel.
regards and have fun!
Painless
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Mon May 31, 2021 10:42 am

The suspension looks not to have changed much, if at all, since those early days. You can probably refit all the running gear without issue. Obtaining the gearboxes, however, is likely to be a problem (and expensive, in any event). It could be that the drive sprockets are slightly different. The existing rear track tensioner can be replaced with a Henntec unit, most likely. Alternate drive units could be fitted, as well as an alternate Controller system (MFU's are overpriced and not over here).
As Painless, suggests, it's worthwhile leafing through previous Tamiya KT rebuilds here.
Oddly enough, I rather like the neatly engineered 'analogue' clockwork look of Tamiya's early KT. :D
Enjoy the journey, whatever you opt for. :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Postby Jofaur86 » Mon May 31, 2021 1:07 pm

Jofaur86
Sergeant

Postby Jofaur86 » Mon May 31, 2021 1:18 pm

Hello,
indeed, and for having done so, I confirm the price to come back to be high, without counting the concerns of adapting the current parts, for the turret, rotation, recoil, elevation, etc.
Link for info KT Porsche,vintage adaptation :)
http://www.rcgrabbag.com/tamiya-king-ti ... onversion/

Jofaur86
Sergeant

Postby Jofaur86 » Mon May 31, 2021 2:01 pm

Jofaur86
Sergeant

Postby PNW Paul » Mon May 31, 2021 4:34 pm

Thanks! That answered quite a few questions and ideas I had.

PNW Paul
Recruit

Postby LK88 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:33 am

congratulations you got a very nice piece, I keep my fingers crossed that he will succeed in his life

LK88
Recruit

Postby PNW Paul » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:37 am

This kitty has some blemishes to fix up. Looks like something caught fire at one point and melted a hole in the upper hull, previous owner put random piece over the area.. Had to bust out the dremel and styrene. Not a finished product yet so dont be too harsh, lol. Now to fix the periscopes..
ImageImageImageImage

PNW Paul
Recruit

Postby PainlessWolf » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:53 am

Good Morning!
Authentic battle damage and a prompt ( in your case anyway ) field repair! ;o) Following along.
regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:54 pm

That's good repair work! :clap: I suppose since it's raining all the time out there, :P you can hide indoors and hobby-ize. ;)

Gee, in the photos I see a familiar set of nut drivers: they must be what drove me nuts. :crazy: And that barbecue sauce in the yellow tub: is that for when the Tiger lights up Shermans on the grill?
Herr Dr. Professor
Sergeant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:15 pm

Looks like the old speed control went up !!?
Did you get hold of a rear plate ?

I have a TAMIYA rear plate, with a hole in it, that I got for free, happy to pass it forward if you can’t get anything else ,for free.
Good luck bringing the old horse back to life, it will be well worth the effort ;)
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby PNW Paul » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:36 pm

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:That's good repair work! :clap: I suppose since it's raining all the time out there, :P you can hide indoors and hobby-ize. ;)

Gee, in the photos I see a familiar set of nut drivers: they must be what drove me nuts. :crazy: And that barbecue sauce in the yellow tub: is that for when the Tiger lights up Shermans on the grill?

Indeed lol, I use the cup for mixing pigments these days.
PNW Paul
Recruit

Postby PNW Paul » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:37 pm

HERMAN BIX wrote:Looks like the old speed control went up !!?
Did you get hold of a rear plate ?

I have a TAMIYA rear plate, with a hole in it, that I got for free, happy to pass it forward if you can’t get anything else ,for free.
Good luck bringing the old horse back to life, it will be well worth the effort ;)

I will take you up on that! I will pay the postage. The parts tree that piece is on is discontinued and nonexistent anywhere.
PNW Paul
Recruit

Postby HERMAN BIX » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:42 pm

Will do a picture later
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby John Glover » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:18 pm

Hi,dont know how far you are going to upgrade this but the original turret rotation unit is very well engineered but bulky. If you search RC Universe site and look for a build of a Tamiya Porsche King Tiger by PCOMM1 you will see he incorporated the old turret rotation unit with Tamiya late model electronics. You said the muzzle brake is broken. Do you need another one as I have one you can have. Regards John.

John Glover
Recruit

Postby Jofaur86 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:41 pm

:D tell you about this one? this is not the original turret rotation system? unless not the right subject !!!
https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tan ... urret.html
otherwise there is also this one

Jofaur86
Sergeant

Postby PNW Paul » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:00 am

John Glover wrote:Hi,dont know how far you are going to upgrade this but the original turret rotation unit is very well engineered but bulky. If you search RC Universe site and look for a build of a Tamiya Porsche King Tiger by PCOMM1 you will see he incorporated the old turret rotation unit with Tamiya late model electronics. You said the muzzle brake is broken. Do you need another one as I have one you can have. Regards John.
I do need a muzzle brake, thank you. Message me for details.

PNW Paul
Recruit

Postby PNW Paul » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:02 am

Jofaur86 wrote::D tell you about this one? this is not the original turret rotation system? unless not the right subject !!!
https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tan ... urret.html
otherwise there is also this one
Good info, thanks

PNW Paul
Recruit

Next

Return to Tamiya Builds