Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV/70

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV/70

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I have been watching, for as I said above, this is a tank I dream to build someday. Am I seeing correctly? It looks as if the axles for the road wheel bogies are mounted under the metal hull with plastic below them. Also, it seems as if you are doing much of the assembly before priming and painting. Did I get that correct?
igi911
Recruit

Post by igi911 »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:I have been watching, for as I said above, this is a tank I dream to build someday. Am I seeing correctly? It looks as if the axles for the road wheel bogies are mounted under the metal hull with plastic below them. Also, it seems as if you are doing much of the assembly before priming and painting. Did I get that correct?

only the two parts marked in red and the wheels are plastic. The axle and the entire carriage assembly is made of metal. Hope I understood correctly what you asked :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

igi911 wrote:
Herr Dr. Professor wrote:I have been watching, for as I said above, this is a tank I dream to build someday. Am I seeing correctly? It looks as if the axles for the road wheel bogies are mounted under the metal hull with plastic below them. Also, it seems as if you are doing much of the assembly before priming and painting. Did I get that correct?

only the two parts marked in red and the wheels are plastic. The axle and the entire carriage assembly is made of metal. Hope I understood correctly what you asked :)
I think that what the Prof getting at, is that it's tricky to prime and paint the suspension, and the lower hull, when it's fully assembled. When I built the Tamiya Pz IV Ausf, J, I primed (with metal primer for metal parts) the wheels, hull and suspension before fitting the rubber tyres etc...
The same preparation is generally needed on all other Tamiya full-option kits. Metal primer is essential for the hull and running gear, as primer and topcoat won't adhere effectively without it. :problem: You can, of course, strip it all down to paint it- but that would seem like a waste of time and effort. :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thanks: yes that is what I was thinking. I wondered if the plan was to disassemble much of the works for painting after testing, a real hassle, but not so different from what many do when restoring real (1:1) old farm equipment so the paint job can be "poifict" without damage from surprise oil leaks, etc. I usually prime everything first; then I do some extent of assembly, finish paint various sub-assemblies, do more assembly, finish paint, assembly, finish paint...pull my hair out, shriek, finally put it away for a few weeks, come back and say, "Ah, maybe it's not to bad after all, especially viewed by the 30" rule."
igi911
Recruit

Post by igi911 »

welcome a moment later :) I used tamiya foundation for all parts. but I painted only the wheels separately. I painted the main color (dunkelgelb) from a can of spray tamiya dark yellow. I painted the camouflage with a brush using tamiya paints without diluting. Finally, I put several layers of Vallejo satin varnish and then dirty the model and then again for durability I used satin varnish. As for the durability of our camouflages, when driving in the field, you can always hook a stone or something else that will peel off the paint, so I do not attach much importance to it. the model also gets dirty, which masks such defects. as for the Jagdpanzer IV itself, it is already finished and after a dozen off-road rides, but for the end result I have to wait for you because I wanted to present the entire report from the construction.

greetings
igi911
igi911
Recruit

Post by igi911 »

Fotorelacja z kolejnych etapów prac :wave:
Attachments
DSC_1243-800x601.JPG
DSC_1243-800x601.JPG (56.66 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
DSC_1229-800x601.JPG
DSC_1229-800x601.JPG (94.96 KiB) Viewed 1954 times