TAMIYA King Tiger E75ish

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

TAMIYA King Tiger E75ish

Post by LordPanzer »

Hello fellow tankers! Now that the holidays are behind us and all my other projects are just about complete I can turn my attention to a King Tiger I picked up used this past summer. At this point in time I dont have a final paint/color theme in mind. That will come through the process as this Panzer comes into its own. But I do want to turn this into some what of a late 45 early 46 King Tiger E75 like Panzer. Now I know not all rivet counters out there are fans of the "what if" Panzers. And thats ok. Personally I like a little artistic freedom. Within reason of course. To have something unique and interesting. Almost one of a kind. Im by no means a experienced scratch builder. I enjoy painting and weathering and pretty handy with an airbrush. But do like to build my skill set with each new project. So my plan is to 1st remove the spare tracks on the turret and sand smooth to start with a clean slate. Next will be to strip and clean the lower hull and gears. I have already sold on the dmd and have a tk80 clark board I will install and keep the Tamiya gears and recoil system. I'd like to keep the same speaker box as it secures the 2 hulls together. But with. New rear deck planed we will see. But I do have a new Visaton FRS7 speaker to brings some better quality sound in. I have purchased some 3d files from turbo squid for a new rear deck and exhaust system that I'm asking a local hobby shop to print for me. I ordered a honeycomb style muzzle break to fit onto the end of the barrel. Im still looking for new spare track hangers and vision range finders for the side of the turret. Have a few other small things in the parts bin to add some detail as this project progresses. Thanks to all for checking in and following along. Every time I get into this forum I pick up new ideas and learn something new. Cheers! ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: TAMIYA King Tiger E75ish

Post by tankme »

Looks like quite the project. Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't like the Tamiya DMD system... :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Lots of potential there, once you've found a cure for the measles on the outside. :D :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Lots of potential there, once you've found a cure for the measles on the outside. :D Image
Lol. The measles. Thats a good one! Needs a shot of primer on top just to be able to focus when looking at it.

LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Started the task today of trying to remove the KT side fenders. I used a bit of debonder and a razor saw to work these off the best I could without damaging it. They were not screwed on and the previous owner must have used different types of glue. This was the best I could do I removing them. Have a bit of sanding to do next :)ImageImageImage

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon, LP!
You have your work cut out for you but this tank is well worth the salvage!
following along,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good afternoon, LP!
You have your work cut out for you but this tank is well worth the salvage!
following along,
Painless
You know those times when you started something and there is no turning back and think to yourself I should have done it another way or just left it be because you now are scratching your head and knowing your in a bigger mess and and made more work for yourself? Yep! Happy days ! Sanding and putty work will start tomorrow and with some rolled steel texture should be able to blend it all right in. Project Panzer Onward!Image

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

That’s exactly what I had with my KT too.
Turned out ok, but it’s much easier to do it right from the start than to go over another’s work like a renovation .
Looking in. ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Did a bit of body work today inbetween some chores around the house. Happy wife = happy life, right? YES. Sanded down using a dermal the remains of the side skirts that would not come off using using debonder. Filled the holes using some plastic rod and 2 part epoxy.  Will let dry over night and come back and sand and refill again as needed.   Not looking to get super smooth as I'll use Mr Surface 500 for a rolled steel texture.  But do need to fill and repair where its needed.  Also sanded off the power conduit line for the single head lamp, as well as Tamiya's sad attempt at crew grab handles on 4 hatches on the turret and lower hull. Up next this massive hole were the Previous owner used a household size drill bit to run his IR cable plug through the turret. Could have cut and resolder for a cleaner look but hey. Thats the way I would have. Should have my side range finders and turret track hangers in the week also. Will start on some weld seams and flame cuts next. :) ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening!
Work is underway! The Looking Good part will come soon enough!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Tamiya Builds”