Static Jagdpanther RC Conversion

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Static Jagdpanther RC Conversion

Post by Raminator »

Great to have you back B_Man! Nice work getting started with CAD, I found that once I got onto a suite that clicked with me it was a lot less daunting. A 3D printer's considerably more useful when you can print your own designs, it's too much to rely on finding stuff online. That brass work is something to be proud of for sure, too!
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

It's been a while between drinks for updates on this build but some very slow progress has been made. I had some time off over the christmas break and spent a couple of very warm afternoons on the workbench working on the rear of the hull and trying to learn how to work with photo-etch. I have found it a very time consuming and fiddly but rewarding process but I'm happy with how things have turned out so far.

The jack is nice addition and while most people wont even notice it when it's mounted, I know it's there.

The convoy light has been made operational with four micro leds held in place by filling the tube with Micro Kristal Klear.

Reworking parts like the wire cutters probably isn't that necessary but as a wise man once said; you buy the ticket, you take the ride.

I'm using an Aber Panther kit which covers most parts but there are some obvious differences on a G2 Jagdpanther due to the rear mounting of the tools. My next step is to improvise the mounts for the starter handle, track tensioning tool and the tow hooks then it's onto the gun recoil before I start detailing the superstructure.

If anyone has any recommendations for small servos that work well for recoil and gun elevation I would be interested. There are so many Tower Pro MG90s knock of out there at the moment it's hard to pick a good one.
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Great to see these details... :thumbup:
Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Just a small update to keep this thread ticking slowly along. I've been steadily working on more details for the rear hull with my new best friends, the photo etch bender, the roller, and a magnifying headset. Most of this section is done now with only the bracket for the starter handle to go.

It has been enjoyable but I'm looking forward to moving onto the recoil and traverse soon which will hopefully be a bit easier on my eyes :crazy:
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

B-Man,

Nice detail on the JP. It all hangs together really well. Looking forward to more...
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

All those details are probably why I haven't built a German tank yet... :) Looks great though.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Sure do have it going on Mr B.
Panther variants are THE most detailed WW2 machine I reckon.
Fantastic work and very good to know you're still getting on with things :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

The super slow progress on this build continues. With the detailing on the rear hull complete, my last few months have been spent sporadically working on the design for the speaker box again. Tamiya uses the speaker as an anchor point to screw down the rear hull so I wanted to design a box that would take the visaton FRS-8 that I have on hand and also be compatible with the screw down point on the top hull. I generally like using magnets these days but this seems like a solid solution for the rear so I decided to stick with it.

After re-learning the basics of TinkerCAD and watching a few handy videos on YouTube, I made some refinements to the first design and printed a prototype. It wasn't quite right so I made some changes and tried again, and again, and again, until I was happy with the fit and layout of the design. It's not perfect and I'll still need to drill holes for the cable and retaining screws, but it should do the job.

Tonight I've finished the first prototype of the lid with the attachment point. I will print that up during the week and if all goes well I'll move onto designing some gun movement parts.

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

It's great to see your update! I so admire and envy those of you who can do 3D printing. Is a 3D printer in my future? Well, for now I am still learning about some electronics. Above all, do keep us posted about your remarkably detailed build.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Fantastic work :clap: your attention to detail is really hard to compare! Nice job with the 3D printing
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Tamiya Builds”