Static Jagdpanther RC Conversion

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Static Jagdpanther RC Conversion

Post by Jimster »

Just looked at DKLM’s website and they say these awesome gearboxes are now out of production at the factory and this is the last batch he will be getting. Buy now if there’s any left.
I wonder if this is because of the recent release of Heng Long’s version of the PDSGB?
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Another small update. I dropped into the hobby shop near work recently to pick up some styrene and found the pickings in most things to be pretty slim which I'm guessing is COVID related. The only thin sheets they had on hand were black which was new to me but it will all look the same when painted. A cover for the gears cut, glued and lightly sanded.

And with a coat of primer.

There is a slight lip on the underside that I will file down but otherwise it does the job. Hopefully I will get some time this weekend to install the rest of the running gear and make sure it is all going to play nicely together.
Last edited by B_Man on Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Jimster wrote:Just looked at DKLM’s website and they say these awesome gearboxes are now out of production at the factory and this is the last batch he will be getting. Buy now if there’s any left.
I wonder if this is because of the recent release of Heng Long’s version of the PDSGB?
That is interesting. At a guess I would say you're probably right and it's related to the Heng Long release somehow. It's just wild speculation on my part but they look to be identical so maybe whoever makes them has an exclusive deal with HL now?
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

I spent a couple of therapeutic hours on Saturday afternoon listening to the brilliant "We Have Ways" podcast (highly recommended to anyone interested in WW2) and putting together a pile of road wheels. I ordered some bearings for them a while back to replace the nylon option Tamiya includes.

Once done I dry fitted them to one side along with the Mato drive sprocket and Tamiya idler and fitted a track. No tires installed yet as I'll add those after painting.

The track lines up and everything seems to run smoothly. With that done all the wheels and tracks have gone back into the box until I get to painting. The next step is to design and 3D print a tray for the Elmod and a speaker box. 3D design is all new to me so the next update might be a while off.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

After testing out the grub screws that hold the shafts into the PDSGB I have noticed they are slightly too large and only screw in half way. Has anyone had this issue before or does anyone know what the correct size is so I can order replacements?

EDIT - After a closer look the reason they only go in halfway is because there is already a grub screw installed in each gear. :{ :{ Now I feel like a complete goose but at least that issue is resolved and hopefully this will help someone from making the same mistake.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

B_Man wrote:I spent a couple of therapeutic hours on Saturday afternoon listening to the brilliant "We Have Ways" podcast (highly recommended to anyone interested in WW2)
I listen to Ray Harris' History of WW2 Podcast - its very detailed, but soooooooo slow. He started in 2012, and he's still only up to the Fall of Burma!

I'll try this one - Edit: listen to the two-parter with Brian Johnston - hilarious! - once I could translate his Geordie accent!
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

It's been a while between drinks for this build but after almost a year away from the bench to renovate my backyard and manage the local rugby team I'm back into it so it's time for an update.

Having no prior 3d modelling experience I was surprised how easy it was to start doing basic designs in TinkerCAD. Once I did a few of the tutorials I managed to put together a tray for the El Mod and batteries that will eventually drive this thing and after two attempts I'm getting very close to the tub for a speaker box that will add some rigidity to the hull and hold down the engine deck.

I've also decided it's time to face my fears and have another crack at photo etch. I'm pretty happy with this attempt and while the latches were a bit fiddly the box was fairly easy and soldered together well. I decided to draw the line at the tiny padlocks that are supposed to go on the latches though as I can see them eventually living somewhere in my garden anyway.

Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Both items look good B-Man.

Finding time is hard - but I just had a meeting with my super managers - I'll be retiring in 10 months!
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Estnische wrote:Both items look good B-Man.

Finding time is hard - but I just had a meeting with my super managers - I'll be retiring in 10 months!
Congratulations, I look forward to retirement but barring an unlikely lottery win it's about 10 years away for me. With some solid rain coming up this weekend though I should be able to get a bit more done and will hopefully get a brew on to restock the beer fridge for spring too.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hey, hey, Estnische. Ten months you say—but who’s counting? My career was satisfying; I was compelled to retire to care for my late wife as she succumbed to Alzheimer’s. But I still consider retirement to be Grrreat! Keep going and those ten months will soon be past.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”